Midweek chart placings.

Who determines airplay? It's not the DJ's anymore, so I would assume it's the corporate entity behind the radio station? Is this not Decca's fault for properly promoting the new single? Like someone mentioned, the lack of a digital download in the year 2008 is (IMO) absurd. Burying a strong b-side like "My Dearest Love" on a vinyl only edition is ridiculous. The whole one week only gimmick seems to have had no effect.

I think there should have been two CD singles:
One with AYNIM, CIP, Drive-In Saturday (Live)
The other with: AYNIM, My Dearest Love, The National Front Disco (live from disc 2 of Greatest Hits) <- the latter helps stir the "immigration" controversy and keeps Mozzer in the news

Also, all tracks should have been available for digital download. There should have been a concerted effort to promote the single with radio appearances and if possible TV shows.

Just my 2 cents...

From user 'Child in Pieces' on the main board. I have to agree (tho I'm not boycotting)

There's nothing wrong with being asked to pay money in order to hear exclusive b-sides. But being asked to spend money on the same single three times, in impractical formats because of his marriage to nostalgia, to hear ALL the b-sides...it's as though we must consent to being tricked, because he KNOWS we are obsessive...so it's either "let him milk us" or "boycott the new single."

Who determines airplay? It's not the DJ's anymore, so I would assume it's the corporate entity behind the radio station?

Didn't there used to be Record Pluggers? People who's job it was to hassle the the producers (offering drugs and sexual favours apparently :sick:) and persuade them to play the record.

There should have been a concerted effort to promote the single with radio appearances and if possible TV shows.

Just my 2 cents...

Quite right too. He's headlining a major festival in a couple of weeks, got a new single out - he should be on the TV promoting himself...

Who determines airplay? It's not the DJ's anymore, so I would assume it's the corporate entity behind the radio station? Is this not Decca's fault for properly promoting the new single? Like someone mentioned, the lack of a digital download in the year 2008 is (IMO) absurd. Burying a strong b-side like "My Dearest Love" on a vinyl only edition is ridiculous. The whole one week only gimmick seems to have had no effect.

I think there should have been two CD singles:
One with AYNIM, CIP, Drive-In Saturday (Live)
The other with: AYNIM, My Dearest Love, The National Front Disco (live from disc 2 of Greatest Hits) <- the latter helps stir the "immigration" controversy and keeps Mozzer in the news

Also, all tracks should have been available for digital download. There should have been a concerted effort to promote the single with radio appearances and if possible TV shows.

Just my 2 cents...

Record companies have very little influence over playlists. Radio stations have playlist meetings usually every Monday when a committee will discuss and decide what goes on their playlist.
If an artist is not deemed to fit with a station's 'demographic' the single will not get played, regardless of quality.
Radio 1 will not play a new Morrissey single (like they would not play a new Cliff Richard single) even if it's his best ever song.
Radio 2 will play a Morrissey single; as long as it's catchy, has a good chorus, and isn't too harsh. 'All You Need is Me' isn't a bad song but doesn't really have a chorus, and has a fairly weak melody.
Xfm will play most new Moz stuff but will only play his songs frequently if they really like them (First of the Gang)
Virgin will only play new Morrissey singles if they think they're brilliant ('First of the Gang' is pretty much all they've played in recent years).
6 Music will A-list most new Morrissey singles.

Second singles off Greatest Hits albums usually fare notoriously badly as most people who are interested in the artist will normally already have the single.

If AYNIM makes the top 20, it should be considered pretty successful and partly a result of the record company issuing it as a restricted release.
THPHGU only made 15 despite relatively generous airplay and it being a brand new song.

Also, TV appearances make next to no difference to a single's success. You need to hear a song several times on the radio before deciding to buy it.

And that is all there is to say on the matter!

The excellent BBC6 music have given the single alot of airplay, it's a very popular station as far as digital stations go.
I predict a number one single from the new album.

Back
Top Bottom