Morrissey's diet is Pizza, Chips and Booze?!

A

Anonymous

I always imagined that Morrissey had a good diet - so what is the truth in this please?

Is this really worthy of a thread? I understand people, including myself, are worried about his health, but surely the man is allowed at least to keep what it is he munches out of the public domain? The lyrics for Mountjoy were confirmed the other day yet some seem more interested in what kind of relationship Moz and Kristeen had and whether he prefers Walkers or Doritos.

Did you really start a new thread?

No, on a tour rider asked for steamed vegetables and he bitched on stage the venue wouldn't cook his brown rice.

Unless any poster here actually sits down and eats with Morrissey on a regular basis (and I'm willing to bet that's a no) no one will be able to answer your question. However, I suspect Tony Visconti (from who the quote originated), will have a better idea than anyone else here.

It's certainly true that historically, Morrissey has stated several times in interviews that he has a very limited diet. I've also heard stories via the crew that he drinks quite heavily on occasions, and I've certainly seen him tipsy (if not outright drunk) at shows. But nobody knows for sure.

I thought he only ate white food. Pizza with pesto sauce is a waste of the good name of pizza.

I think the only reasonably recent tour rider for Morrissey to have leaked is this: http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3569176,00.html

You'll have to use Google Translate, but basically it suggests that fruit and veg do figure in Morrissey's diet. Also muesli. Two bottles of lager, which doesn't seem like the demand of an insatiable alcoholic. There's some less healthy things on there and some things which seem a bit over-specific (cheese has to come from Ireland or New Zealand, for instance). It doesn't look like a list to make a dietitian's jaw drop, though.

I think the only reasonably recent tour rider for Morrissey to have leaked is this: http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3569176,00.html

You'll have to use Google Translate, but basically it suggests that fruit and veg do figure in Morrissey's diet. Also muesli. Two bottles of lager, which doesn't seem like the demand of an insatiable alcoholic. There's some less healthy things on there and some things which seem a bit over-specific (cheese has to come from Ireland or New Zealand, for instance). It doesn't look like a list to make a dietitian's jaw drop, though.

Just realised that the geographic origin of the cheese could have to do with animal welfare, in which case OK.

Maybe someone could wait in the sewers underneath his house with a net, then capture and scientifically analyse whatever rained down on them.

Any So Low-ers willing to volunteer?

Is this really worthy of a thread? I understand people, including myself, are worried about his health, but surely the man is allowed at least to keep what it is he munches out of the public domain? The lyrics for Mountjoy were confirmed the other day yet some seem more interested in what kind of relationship Moz and Kristeen had and whether he prefers Walkers or Doritos.
You're worried! Really?
I just don't get it.
I worry about my children, debts, work, stuff that concerns me.
But spending a micro second on a pop star who I will never know and will never even know I exist?
I am simply amazed that adults can do this.
Oh well, I suppose it takes all types to make a world.

You're worried! Really?
I just don't get it.
But spending a micro second on a pop star who I will never know and will never even know I exist?

To a lot of fans, Morrissey is more that just a 'pop star' (A term, I'm sure, that would make him recoil). I've heard people mention how Morrissey has saved their lives and/or helped them through life's battles. So, of course, it is natural to form some kind of 'attachment' to him, even if it isn't mutual.

Last edited:
Of course others may be worried about his health. Morrissey is the "stuff that concerns" them.

You're worried! Really?
I just don't get it.
Patronizing prick.

Of course others may be worried about his health. Morrissey is the "stuff that concerns" them.
'Patronising Prick'!?
What do you expect?
Ofcourse I'm gonna patronise you.
What do you expect, respect, admiration?

You're worried! Really?
I just don't get it.

I'm not sure I get this. According to the data that appears next to your posts, Peter, you have in fact spent at least 1,756 micro-seconds on a pop star who you will never know and who will never even know you exist.

Patronize me? Wrong person..
I don't want anything from you, don't get excited.

'Patronising Prick'!?
What do you expect?
Ofcourse I'm gonna patronise you.
What do you expect, respect, admiration?

Who is to say this is even real? It was a mean spirited reply made by Tony Visconti - meant to hurt Morrissey and those who care for him. I do believe he probably drinks more than he should, but Morrissey has stated many, many times that his diet is quite simple. No spices, onions, garlic, etc.

Be concerned about his health, yes. Just don't put a lot of care into Visconti's silly post.

Last edited:
Who is to say this is even real? It was a mean spirited reply made by Tony Visconti - meant to hurt Morrissey and those who care for him. I do believe he probably drinks more than he should, but Morrissey has stated many, many times that his diet is quite simple. No spices, onions, garlic, etc.

Be concerned about his health, yes. Just don't put a lot of care into Visconti's silly post.

Where do the conceits that Morrissey might perhaps drink too much originate? I do not ask this to antagonise but out of a genuine sense of surprise that he would indulge.

Where do the conceits that Morrissey might perhaps drink too much originate? I do not ask this to antagonise but out of a genuine sense of surprise that he would indulge.

Up until this year he had a gut and the stories of him out being drunk/drinking a pint of vodka? He mentions drinking several times in the book.

Back
Top Bottom