Moz immigration scandle on the drudge report..

Interesting to see they reckon Tim Jonze wrote the bit at the end ("he's not speaking for us now...")

Misrepresentation all over the place!

When I read T. Jonze's letter to Merck I knew (and he probably knew) he'd be the one to take some of the flak, despite the fact that he didn't write the inane running commentary and that there are separate credits on the printed page (though the byline didn't appear in snapyou's scanned pages -- or was it just cut off?). Unfortunate, but Jonze could've had a little more foresight when his original Q&A involved immigration-related material.

If you just read the Q&A and ditch the commentary and cover blurb, there's really not much to get excited about and there's certainly no racist content.

Jonze seems to be playing it both ways (which, I guess, is not surprising seeing as he still has to earn a living after this). The BBC is currently running a story including the following:

Tim Jonze, the freelance journalist who interviewed Morrissey, told the BBC that he didn't approve of the singer's comments and had found them "offensive".

He said he had asked for his name to be removed from the article because it had been rewritten.

"I didn't want my name on something I hadn't written, even if some of it might have been similar to what I wrote originally," he said.​

Full story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7118412.stm

That BBC article is incredibly irritating.

Paragraph two says the magazine criticized Morrissey for his comments.

Paragraph three says he is threatening to sue for defamation.

Someone who had not read the article would assume that Morrissey made offensive comments and the NME merely printed them, and now Morrissey wants to save face. In fact the suit is being threatened because the NME seriously slanted the interview to attack Morrissey, well beyond any editorial criticism.

As for Tim Jonze, I had hoped he was better than that. I guess if no one knows what he did and did not contribute to the article, he figures he can skate by telling each side what they want to hear. Pathetic.

Well that's neither here nor there (edit: meaning the BBC article and Jonze' apparent flailing).

If Jonze and the NME don't approve of Morrissey's views, why did they run them? They could've stayed on the topic of music, but Jonze called back to hammer away even more.

Legal threats aside, Morrissey must have known they'd be turning it into a hatchet job when the phone call portion focussed on immigration and not music. Maybe Jonze wasn't expecting the hatchet blade to be that sharp, is all.

Last edited:
Legal threats aside, Morrissey must have known they'd be turning it into a hatchet job when the phone call portion focussed on immigration and not music. Maybe Jonze wasn't expecting the hatchet blade to be that sharp, is all.

I think Jonze knew what he was asking. Just look at the questions he was asking in the second interview! It sounds like the NME put him up to asking more questions in exchange for being saved from the ensuing wrath.

Yes, I know that NME acted like a bunch of cowardly weasels (you can make a farce out of the Woodward and Bernstein story with those guys), but I don't know if I see anything lawsuit worthy unless they either had a contract or they rearranged the words in the interview.

Well that's neither here nor there (edit: meaning the BBC article and Jonze' apparent flailing).

If Jonze and the NME don't approve of Morrissey's views, why did they run them? They could've stayed on the topic of music, but Jonze called back to hammer away even more.

Why did they run them? For the same reason that photographers chase Britney Spears through red lights. It is not about the music.

It seems the piece was built to a) take down Moz and b) state the NME's position as an anti-racist/pro-immigration "publication". It's an awkward, and risky, ploy just to c) sell issues, especially when they're on the verge of folding. Last ditch effort, I guess.

Why did they run them? For the same reason that photographers chase Britney Spears through red lights. It is not about the music.

Back
Top Bottom