Moz live: What was your first time like?

DeliciousDemon

Ghost of the troubled Joe
Knowing my luck this topic was probably discussed before but nevertheless: how did you feel during your first Moz or even The Smiths gig?

I have been a huuge fan since the late 80s. I was a teenager, passionate about music, and Smiths/Moz completely worked their magic on me. Within the first few months of my fanhood I already brought and knew everything they/he ever recorded inside and out.

Smiths already fell apart by then but Moz solo was well under way and I desperately wanted to see him live. I read in the NME that he was having a concert in London and decided to go there but my parent's weren't really thrilled, mainly because I was 14 and living a few thousand miles away from England :D Nevertheless in my twisted mind I thought I could pull it through so I borrowed some money for the ticket and even made it to the airport but was then told that underagers cannot travel without their parent's consent which sent me back home with the tail between my legs. Boy, my father couldn't stop laughing at me for 3 days (parents never understand teen obsessions, don't they?).

In any case, 15+ years have passed since then and during that time I was often getting desperate fearing that I would never stand face-to-face with "the" man. It always seemed as if he has all the wrong maps with just a few countries in them (and never mine!)

But this year, it finally happened. When it was announced, I climbed the table in my then-office and jumped and screamed for about 10 minutes (key word in this sentence being: then-office. Everyone thought I went completely berserk). I was so happy I couldn't get a grip of myself for days.

An hour before the concert I made my way to the first rows and I literally thought my heart would just jump out my mouth and slap him in the face. I mean, there I was, a fan for more then 17 years, and first time to see him live! I was in heaven.

When he went onstage I was in a complete state of I-dont-know-where-I-am-anymore. He was there and I just couldn't think, couldn't move, I was completely beside myself. While I'm reading these lines I feel silly (because in real life I am quite down-to-earth, realistic, no-bs person) but when it comes to Moz I obviously tend to lose every sense of dignity and control.

The concert was fantastic and before I even realized what was going on, it was over. Once he went offstage I felt really sad and empty. It's stupid, I was in such state of shock to see him live that I didn't even get to enjoy myself to the fullest extent and he left me wanting more and more. It was already impossible for me to go someplace else and see him once again but I've decided to use his eventual next tour more visely and see at least a few more gigs (if you hear him screaming my name instead of Julia's you'll know I succeeded :o )

I so envy all of you who had more opportunities to see him play. Having said that, even you had to have your "first time". Therefore, in James-style I'm curious to know - how was it for you?

Last edited:
I was 15, and shit my pants for weeks before the gig in 1991 at the Stadium in Dublin. Got thete and watched with my jaw to the floor for 1 hour and twenty minutes and have not looked back. Keep going to gigs when I can find babysitting and credit cards are all maxed. I'm a silly beggar,,,,,

i'd seen the smiths on TQID tour, but NOTHING could prepare me for moz 1991. there was so much f***ing emotional electricity in the air you could cut it with a knife. he stepped onstage and POW!!! the crowd surged, the music started, and he danced across the stage all night. my glasses got crushed during "mute witness" and i didn't care one bit. over a dozen mates came back to mine after the gig and everyone commented on the fact i wasn't saying a word, just sitting around with a smile on my face staring off into space...

First US solo tour. Kill Uncle, Merriwether Post Pavillion, looped on hash but VERY in touch with the show. Remember being moved by his band. Young, good looking rockabilly sorts with ragged jeans and different color button up shirts. Morrissey was great, but I remember thinking, hes got a band, a real f***ing band(and he dressed them). Still today, its why I am big on Boz, Gaz, Spencer, and Alain and still think sometimes the others "dont hold a candle"(sorry Deano). It was a great show. We didnt know who Phranc was, so we smoked up in the parking lot. Girl I had kissed in elementary, had a crush on(we were now in college), went with us, we danced, we laughed, we sang, it was the wonderful. I found she was a major closet Moz fan. We started dating shortly after. Excellent night. Have seen Moz 6 times since. Married with 3 kids now, not sure how many more I will get to if any.

Last edited:
I saw him for the first time in September of 2004 in Liverpool. I had been a fan for three years, from the very moment I heard "There is a light..." and my life changed forever. Anyway, I had had tickets to see him twice before in Northern California where i live, but he canceled one show and Lalapalooza fell apart. I knew I was going to be England that fall, but because I was going to just miss the summer festivals I thought was probably going to be out of luck. Then he announced the Northern England dates. I wanted to follow him around badly, but I knew there was no way I could afford it. So I bought a ticket for the Liverpool show. A little more than a month later I arrived in London for the first time a week before the show. I swear that whole week I got no more than 6 hours or sleep total due Jet lag and stress and trying to find a place to live. The day of the show I was so exhausted I could barely stand, I wasn't sure I could make it to Euston station let alone to the venue. But I did make to Euston it only to learn that my Train had been delayed several hours. There was a good possibility the train would not arrive in time for the show. I was scared my desire to see him would just remain a dream. But the train did arrive in Liverpool with a little time to spair, so I caught a cab, went to the hostel, dropped my stuff off, got right back into the cab and went straight to the Royal Hall. The whole ride the cab driver was talking to me about the Smiths and Morrissey. I could hardly understand him, but I knew he was quoting lyrics. i finally arived and took my place in the back of the line. I was still exhauseted, but I knew I was so close. When they opened the doors to the venue, I climbed up the stairs and took seat a few rows back from the front in the balcony. Already the energy buliding like a mumur that turns into a riot. In a few moments a very nice man from Birmingham sat next to me and saw the state was in and brought me some water. We talked a little about The Smiths and Morrissey. I looked around and realized the fan base was different from the fans I knew in San Francisco. The venue was filling up with large, strong, tatooed men over thirty. Solid, genuine working class men, devotion written on their faces.

He came on stage and immediately began singing "How Soon is Now". My exhaustion disapeared, he exuded love and energy and personified dignity. I was mesmerized the whole show. Within forty five minutes the energy in the hal was so palpable--sweat was literally dripping from the walls. I remember reaching out to touch it. I also remember he took of his shirt at least twice and threw it into the audiance where it was instantly ripped to shreds. When he sang "Irish Blood, English Heart" it was more powerful than any anthem. Every fist was in the air. When he sang "There is a Light..." I came as close to having a religious experience as I will.

After the show I stumbled out. My legs were still shaky but I felt like I was made of air. i took another cab back to the hostel that was completely empty except for me and I slept, really slept for the first time in over a week. Bliss.

My first time was this year, july 22, Benicassim festival in Spain. I'm 19, and unfortunately Morrissey does not come very often to Spain,and he cancelled a concert in that same festival in 2004, so everyone were very excited about the concert.I hope I can see him again soon. It was great... what else can I say?

Nice story arielms :)

Every Morrissey fans 'first time' of seeing him is one to treasure, no doubt. Usually the wait not just preceeding the gig but for the support band/s (as good as they may be!) to do their bit and then the agonising tuning and general wait for him to come on...all mean that, goosepimples and every hair on your body on end, when the curtain comes back and the great man himself emerges from the curtain, not seperated by a TV screen or refined to 20 year old records, but a real living palpable fleshy human being before your eyes, and the mayhem that duly follows when you know you're in the kings presence, it's an evening no Mozz fan ever forgets. Ever.

Morrissey is a musical figure who will be remembered long after he has gone both from the music scene and from this planet, way way after - we are the lucky ones who will be able to tell the kids of god knows how many future generations, that we saw the bloke they are obsessing over, that he stood right in front of us, yards away!. Heh.

Good thread :).

Good thread and nice story DD! I saw him for the first time two weeks ago, on Øya. I've been a fan for two years, so it was fantastic to finally see him:)

I didn't start to realise it was really going to happen before ca 6 hours before the concert, and I had to lie down on the floor and BREATHE.. My friends thought I was joking..

SO, we came to the festival, and I was bitten by a wasp, and thought: "This is my luck, I'm going to get ill now, so that I cannot see him".. So the hours before he came was just gruesome--

At one of the other concerts, (I think it was !!!) they were screaming: "Morrissey is here! He's watching us", or something.. And I realised I've never been that close to Him..!

So then I was waiting at the front for The Man, talking to some fans, who were like: "Is it your first concert?? You're gonna faint!"
This Charming Man entered the stage, and I remember he started with Panic, and that he was soo much more handsome that I had imagined. The rest of the concert I was screaming, singing, crying, laughing... At the same time. Nicest thing that has ever happened to me, and for the first time in my life (maybe?) I felt: I DO belong.

Sorry, My English isn't good:p

I thnk I first saw him in 90/91. I went a couple of times in very quick succession. It was at Wembley Arena so hardly the most personal of gigs. I found the first couple of Moz gigs I went to a bit "Blink and you'll miss 'em" but Moz has always been hit and miss I guess. Now I appreciate what's going on more than I used to and because of that I've enjoyed Moz's gigs from more recent times far more than the earlier ones I went to - possibly because I've seen him in more accomodating venues.

I saw him 1st @ Brighton on 12th December 2004.
I'll NEVER forget it. Very emotional for me.

I didn't see much, as I had tears in my eyes pretty much the whole gig!

Especially when he sang Last Night I Dreamt, which sounded shite, but nonetheless still very moving.
Moz looked like he was pretty emotional too!

I was fortunate enough to see my hero for the first time a few months ago. It was completely mind blowing. The excitement was unbearable. I was in a daze for most of the night although I still have so many great memories. It was just completely amazing.

If anyone was to ask me what the best day of my life has been, I would have no hesitation in referring to that night.

Thank you Morrissey

Last edited:
i first saw him a few months ago too. i was so excited, it was like electricity or something inside me!

I hope I'll see him once... It's a bit embarassing to say I've never ever seen him live.
Great stories though!

Chester Northgate Arena 1997 - very short uk tour promoting Malajusted. The arena was nothing more than a sports hall with a capacity of around 800 tops. It was all standing and obtaining a ticket in those lean years was pretty easy. From memory it was a short set (14 ish songs) which lasted around an hour. Paint a vulgar picture and Shoplifters encore were the Smiths songs played and I remember Now my heart is full, Boy Racer, Billy Budd and I think Speedway. He also sang Trouble Loves me, Alma matters amd Satan rejected my soul and I bet there are not too many on here who have heard that classic live!

It was a good gig although the experience has been beaten since (Blackburn 2002 with no record deal was for me the best set list he has played live)

Amazing. I discovered Him round YATQ and so the ROTT tour was my first time. I didn't get through quick enough for tickets and I just sat and cried/stared. Spent hundreds of pounds of my student loan getting tickets off ebay: didn't care - would rather see Morrissey than eat ;)

My first time was Sheffield City Hall, 3rd May. A fair proportion of the audience were miserable old so-and-sos who could hardly be bothered to clap, and who were glaring at me all the way through for getting a bit ...involved ;) I ignored them ha and just got completely blown/carried away. During HSIN (my mantra!!) I saw Him look at me cos I was dancing and had my arms in the air and everything, so I waved madly at Him. And He waved back!! :D

Outside, buying the obligatory t-shirts off the dodgy dealers, I met loads of really nice people, though, and was there for ages just chatting and drinking canned gin and tonics heh. My seat must just have been in a bad spot but I didn't care - it didn't matter much. I got to the Manchester Apollo and Halifax shows later in the week, where the audiences were really up for it and so He really upped His game. But while the Sheffield show maybe wasn't the best quality-wise, I'll never forget it for not being able to help crying the first time I saw my idol in the flesh :o

I still can't believe I've actually seen him :). I've seen him live in Rome (btw, can I ask you again if someone of you has found an article about him in a German mag called "Plan b"?I've got no news about an article of mine...), July, 16th. For YATQ he didn't tour a lot in Italy, so I had not succeed in seeing him before. Everything has seemed to me so natural and so surreal at the same time. I wanted to take some cushions for the seats (but they were too expensive and I had left the bag on my seat!), when I heard some worshipping shouts . He had arrived and was just at few metres from me!He was greeting from the backstage. I was petrified . Then I finally succeeded in waving to him but I thought: “what are you doing?you know him, but he doesn’t know who you are!”True. The show has been fab. I sang so loud I lost my voice…Especially “How soon is now?” and “Life is a pigsty” drove me mad…and “Let me kiss you” as always moved me to tears.

I saw Morrissey for the first time in Dublin last April it was unbelievable! I was totally star struck by the whole experience. He truely is amazing. :)

I also went to see him in Marley Park which was again an unforgettable show, he really knew how to keep the crowd entertained but their were a few idiots in the crowd shouting "Morrissey is a fag" which I tried to ignore because I kind of felt sorry for them if their lives are that sad that they need to go to concerts to shout abuse at the performer to make themselves feel more superior!! :mad:

My only wish now would be to see The Smiths but that looks to be very unlikely! :(

A life-changing experience! I saw The Smiths for the first time on 15th March 1984 at Hull University. I'd bought the singles and album and loved them all, but seeing them live what unreal. They had such energy and were just about to become really popular, the gig was sold out. This was of course long before all of the pressure around the band grew, so they just soared.

Mozmal, thank you very much for sharing your precious letters from Morrissey.

Around the same time Mozmal's first gig of The Smiths, I heard their songs from the radio, but because of my lack of concentration I didn't become a fan straight away. It took me another 6 months to realize what I missed in the first place. I was really gutted unable to travel to see Meat Is Murder tour in 1985. Japanese record company arranged a tour because Morrissey didn't want to travel to Japan, so it was guaranteed to meet them at some point.

Finally I managed to save up some money (and borrwed some from my mom) to travel from Japan to see their live in July 1986, short warm up tour of The Queen Is Dead. The atmosphere of Glasgow Barrowlands was totally hysterical. A local girl who was standing near me, put the blame on me pushing her and scratched my left hand. She was the second worst Scottish I met that day, before that a pathetic drunken man who shouted abusive words at me when I was queuing. Now I have a scar on my hand. It was my first experience of seeing a band in a standing venue, after the first song I had to get out from the raving crowd because I didn't have any strength. It was so surreal to see them live, but of course worth travelling 5000 miles!!!

The next day in New Castle Riverside gig was also very good, but at encore a pathetic local youth who spat on Morrissey ruined everything:mad: I wish he wouldn't be there and Morrissey weren't defeted by that.

G-Mex festival appearance and Salford University gig were both excellent. I'm glad that there's a bootleg of Salford gig because all the fans who managed to be there or not can enjoy it.:)

For weeks before i was paranoid about getting ran over.
And then in the venue i was positioned right under the glitter ball, was shitting myself all the way through the support band, but when Moz came on i thought "what a heavenly way to die!".

Back
Top Bottom