Off-topic discussion thread / moved as clogging other threads

I've been told rabbits are good pets for vegans.
you mean BUNNIES!! if you're going to refer to it by the cold sterile unfuzzy term 'rabbit' than a bunny is PROBABLY NOT for YOU

I've been told rabbits are good pets for vegans.
My pet days are over. I had a dog for nearly 14 years, and I'm not eager to make that kind of commitment again. My dog was wonderful, and I wish I'd have been more perfectly wonderful for him.

you mean BUNNIES!! if you're going to refer to it by the cold sterile unfuzzy term 'rabbit' than a bunny is PROBABLY NOT for YOU

If I referred to rabbits as "bunnies," I think I would have to wear a tutu or something.

Seriously, you guys, don't homeless people have enough problems without being told they have to be vegan too?

Nobody's forcing it on them. I was merely suggesting that a charity would do more good if it required a vegan diet from its (voluntary) beneficiaries. Not only would it be helping the homeless human in getting sober and learning life skills (the primary good), but it would also be sparing the animals who would otherwise be raped and tortured had the participant not been required to be vegan (a secondary good).

It may help to think about it in terms of something other than veganism. Say you could save the lives of five people who would otherwise die without your help. Would it make a difference to you if you were saving the lives of five active and unrepentant child molesters, or five people who weren't child molesters? You probably wouldn't want to save the ones who are molesting children. You might even ponder that letting the child molesters die would be sparing the world the hurt they'd inflict if you helped them live. At your best, you might think, "well, child molesters are people, too, and maybe they were abused once themselves, and I want to have pity on them." But you still might make it a requirement that they enter a chemical castration program in order to get your help.

This is what irks people about vegans, atheists, etc. (some, not all) they are worse than evangelical fundies trying to impose their own way of life on someone else.

Everyone tries to force their ethics on other people. That's why laws get made. Nobody stops to think whether human traffickers are having other people's way of life imposed on them. It's been decided that slavery is unethical. Whether animals ought to be maltreated for human gustatory pleasure is, of course, an ethical question yet unresolved. But yes, it would be an imposition were it to get resolved in the animals' favor. That's just the way it goes. Causers of harm are always going to be inconvenienced by those who don't want harm caused.

Last edited:
None of this is persuasive to me, esp the part about comparing meat eaters to child molesters, human traffickers, etc.. This is why people find vegans insufferable. This is why people just tune them right out, they are fanatical and illogical.

It’s fine if you’re not persuaded. Some people think animals can’t suffer, or that their suffering doesn’t matter, so we might be approaching this from completely different perspectives. (Sorry to say, I find both of those positions atrocious). Just out of curiosity, though: do you find Morrissey’s endless preaching on this subject insufferable, too? He did once notoriously equate meat eaters with child molesters.

I’m never quite sure what to do when someone deletes a post after I’ve responded to it. Oh well: “good old Morrissey” is sufficient unto itself.

You agree that it’s subjective, so what do you mean by ‘watered down’ ? I can’t speak for the content of what others post.

Anyway, I don’t feel that my enthusiastic contributions really belong here if you’re going to take sides with an anon that has been obviously trolling this thread, which should have been evident to you when he was taking the piss with his first post on the first page which included a choice of Morrissey songs that most would agree are not Morrissey’s best, followed by Joe Jackson, etc.
Oh dear, what a pathetic, pretentious, prat you really are. 😭

Please feel free to follow my previous advice and go create your own separate thread of weird and pretentious stuff. It'll be interesting to see how many 'thumbs up' (which is really what you desire after all) the likes of Bingo and Sun Ra get.

I suspect, however, they'll more than likely trigger fits of laughter, via the 'hilarious' :ROFLMAO: emoticon.

Just 'cos you're a fully signed up 'member' doesn't mean your views, or content, are any more valid than a mere 'anon'.

Now stop flooding and wasting everyones time, and go pack your sad pussy up and go create your own 'weirdo-vibe' thread.

I'm sure it'll be a raging success. o_O

Oh dear, what a pathetic, pretentious, prat you really are. 😭

Please feel free to follow my previous advice and go create your own separate thread of weird and pretentious stuff. It'll be interesting to see how many 'thumbs up' (which is really what you desire after all) the likes of Bingo and Sun Ra get.

I suspect, however, they'll more than likely trigger fits of laughter, via the 'hilarious' :ROFLMAO: emoticon.

Just 'cos you're a fully signed up 'member' doesn't mean your views, or content, are any more valid than a mere 'anon'.

Now stop flooding and wasting everyones time, and go pack your sad pussy up and go create your own 'weirdo-vibe' thread.

I'm sure it'll be a raging success. o_O
Why are you so hostile? Why are you so angry, mean-spirited and ugly? And why are you so deathly afraid of ambitious and non-conformist music that you feel you have to rage against it, call it pretentious and disrespect anyone that likes that kind of music? You contribute nothing to this thread or to this site in general and if you f***ed off never to return, no one would bat an eye.

Why are you so hostile? Why are you so angry, mean-spirited and ugly? And why are you so deathly afraid of ambitious and non-conformist music that you feel you have to rage against it, call it pretentious and disrespect anyone that likes that kind of music? You contribute nothing to this thread or to this site in general and if you f***ed off never to return, no one would bat an eye.
I think you're off topic. ⛔

Could it be the crippling shame?
in some cases, maybe! also people taking themselves too seriously. or maybe their posts didnt align with some image they want to project. or maybe as in the case of skylarker they didnt want to show themselves to be drunk AGAIN. or maybe they're paranoid about privacy and the permanence of the internet. or maybe in the case of k-ket, for whom i make an exception, in the greatest songs of all time thread they felt that the thread didnt deserve their posts and so genteely deleted them. who knows?! i find it a little rude to do when your posts comprise one half of a conversation so that when you delete them all that is left is the posts of the other poster--which poster apparently has a high enough level of consciousness not to post something he goes on to find regrettable later.

How about this. I’ll give to the charity I want. You give to the charity you want.

You missed the point. I wasn’t saying anyone had to give to a different charity. I was offering a suggestion on how Joyce’s charity might do more net good than it’s already doing. Is there no room for constructive criticism? Some people are really touchy.

You don’t eat meat, and I’ll stay out of your life’s choices, and I’ll eat meat and you stay the h*ll out of mine.

If that’s the way you want things, then child molesters, human traffickers, and Vladimir Putin would like to be left to their own life’s choices as well. If we don’t take suffering into account, then anything goes.

How would you categorize the music, if possible? Are they instrumentals, or do you sing on them? Do you play the drums and bass, or do you use a computer application to synthesize those instruments?

I sometimes wonder about true musical geniuses who slip through the cracks and make great music that never gets heard. For every million incel losers who post idiot memes on the internet, there might be at least one sensitive young soul who turns their loneliness into actual art in the privacy of their own hopeless bedroom in their parent's house. And after their suicide, their computer gets e-cycled and their music is snuffed out along with their life. I suppose it doesn't matter. What gets heard, gets heard. It's kind of like that old trick question meant to trip up abortion proponents, and the jab at the end is "congratulations, you just murdered Beethoven in the womb!" The problem, though, is that you're potentially robbing the world of a Beethoven every time you wear a condom or abstain from sex. There are Nabokovs and Morrisseys who died in the cradle, or whose singular sperm swam slower than a goon's. This all goes to vertiginous thoughts of determinism, and I digress.
I did it for a long time so there are different things. I started the recordings when I had drama with this little group I had been recording with. At the time we all sang and played instruments and mine was mostly guitar.
At that time I would record almost every night after work.
Then I bought a couple of cheap samplers and keyboards and I almost stopped recording guitar for over a year I was making soundtracks or sound environments that were meant to kind of be “a movie “ but without the visual. I was experimental , sometimes it worked, and it was relaxing.
Then I got slightly better equipment and started playing guitar again with overdubs and backward tracks. That was all analog. I played this tape for this guy I knew that owned a record shop and he said it wasn’t me on the tape, which was really a great compliment. lol
Once I started doing the recording on computer I started mostly making beats, and sometimes playing along but not recording the guitar part. My analog recording equipment was harder to work with and even though the results were much better I was working and recording was mostly a way to relax.
I do have some recordings I like from the analog days and have tried transferring to digital but it always sounds harsh. Also I have to choose how to spend my time and I was working on other things.
I wrote some punk songs and some kind of industrial stuff but my biggest influences when I play guitar are Neil Young and Pink Floyd, and I mostly just play acoustic guitar now. My biggest “hit” is probably this fake Dinosaur Jr song called “Dragged.”

I did it for a long time so there are different things. I started the recordings when I had drama with this little group I had been recording with. At the time we all sang and played instruments and mine was mostly guitar.
At that time I would record almost every night after work.
Then I bought a couple of cheap samplers and keyboards and I almost stopped recording guitar for over a year I was making soundtracks or sound environments that were meant to kind of be “a movie “ but without the visual. I was experimental , sometimes it worked, and it was relaxing.
Then I got slightly better equipment and started playing guitar again with overdubs and backward tracks. That was all analog. I played this tape for this guy I knew that owned a record shop and he said it wasn’t me on the tape, which was really a great compliment. lol
Once I started doing the recording on computer I started mostly making beats, and sometimes playing along but not recording the guitar part. My analog recording equipment was harder to work with and even though the results were much better I was working and recording was mostly a way to relax.
I do have some recordings I like from the analog days and have tried transferring to digital but it always sounds harsh. Also I have to choose how to spend my time and I was working on other things.
I wrote some punk songs and some kind of industrial stuff but my biggest influences when I play guitar are Neil Young and Pink Floyd, and I mostly just play acoustic guitar now. My biggest “hit” is probably this fake Dinosaur Jr song called “Dragged.”
that all sounds fantastic. real proud of you, dave-o :clap:

Dirk Blaggard has the last two weeks or so started to mention his kids and his kids’ friends in almost every post he makes. I find that interesting. Is he trying his damndest to push the concept that he has knowledgeable kids (and that his kids have knowledgeable friends) or is he just trying to push the concept that he has kids full stop? Earlier in his “Solo career”, he made several references to being from England. Is he trying to flesh out his character or convince us that he’s a real person? This is off-topic, but nevertheless questions that need answers.
Maybe you could start another new thread about this, and start us off (even if it’s only a ‘potential’ list, in no particular order) with your top 10 interesting facts that you've noticed about @Dirk Blaggard and his 'family'? Another thriller thread, just waiting to be born :rolleyes:

Dirk Blaggard has the last two weeks or so started to mention his kids and his kids’ friends in almost every post he makes. I find that interesting. Is he trying his damndest to push the concept that he has knowledgeable kids (and that his kids have knowledgeable friends) or is he just trying to push the concept that he has kids full stop? Earlier in his “Solo career”, he made several references to being from England. Is he trying to flesh out his character or convince us that he’s a real person? This is off-topic, but nevertheless questions that need answers.

Edit: originally posted in the Robbie Williams thread, then inexplicably moved to the covid thread by…some admin. I have since deleted it from that thread and instead manually moved/copy-pasted it here.

Back
Top Bottom