Offensive words in thread titles

Velvis

Not a beginner
I've noticed lately that the word C*NT is being used in thread titles. This means that this word can be visible on the So_low homepage.

I've got no problem with this type of language used in the pigsty (I know that's what the pigsty is there for) but I don't like to see this word on the homepage where sight of it cannot be avoided.

Is there any way of avoiding this? (Apart from not coming here)

(Sorry if I sound like a prude by my daughter sometimes wanders into my office and sees my screen)

I've noticed lately that the word C*NT is being used in thread titles. This means that this word can be visible on the So_low homepage.

I've got no problem with this type of language used in the pigsty (I know that's what the pigsty is there for) but I don't like to see this word on the homepage where sight of it cannot be avoided.

Is there any way of avoiding this? (Apart from not coming here)

(Sorry if I sound like a prude by my daughter sometimes wanders into my office and sees my screen)

We're not going to start deleting words. Words are words. They become offensive (in my book anyway) when they are directed at someone or something with feeling. I know not everyone will like it this way, but I can't see us censoring based on words and words only. I think you'll find it's a small but vocal unpleasant minority using such language, usually to get a response, and usually they do. I'm as guilty in this as anyone else.

Peter

Thank you Uncle Skinny for your reply.

I do actually agree with you and I'm also against censorship. I think you hit the nail on the head when you mention that vocal unpleasant minority who post here, I'm upset with their rantings.

I realise it's possible to avoid these people mostly (by staying out of the pigsty and avoiding obvious troll threads) but it's difficult to avoid those thread titles when they appear in CAPS on the homepage. I.E. that recent DORRISSEY SLUT C*NT poster (charming! :crazy:)

Anyway, thanks for listening... I'll f*ck off now :o

Thank you Uncle Skinny for your reply.

I do actually agree with you and I'm also against censorship. I think you hit the nail on the head when you mention that vocal unpleasant minority who post here, I'm upset with their rantings.

I realise it's possible to avoid these people mostly (by staying out of the pigsty and avoiding obvious troll threads) but it's difficult to avoid those thread titles when they appear in CAPS on the homepage. I.E. that recent DORRISSEY SLUT C*NT poster (charming! :crazy:)

Anyway, thanks for listening... I'll f*ck off now :o

A Cint? I don't really understand.

The "c" word is the most offensive word in the English language. In life I've always found the people who use it are of very low intelligence.

The "c" word is the most offensive word in the English language. In life I've always found the people who use it are of very low intelligence.

i think racists are stupider than people who say 'c***', hellie.

In life I've always found the people who use it are of very low intelligence.

Whenever people say that to me (and I don't use that word very often) I always give them a speel about Shakespeare.
But it's true, he does use that word.

I think, when it comes to language, in the hands of a fool, a c*nt is just a gratuitous c*nt, but in the hands of the right person it can puncuate perfectly.

Whenever people say that to me (and I don't use that word very often) I always give them a speel about Shakespeare.
But it's true, he does use that word.

I think, when it comes to language, in the hands of a fool, a c*nt is just a gratuitous c*nt, but in the hands of the right person it can puncuate perfectly.

i think i remember it being used in 'hamlet'.

i think i remember it being used in 'hamlet'.

Yes, that was the one I was meaning.
People seem to get so high brow when it comes to swearing and forget that it is an essential part of our language and our culture.
Hello, HIM, nice to see you around, I hope you're well? :)

Oh good.

Next time my nine year old says the C word because he's heard some foul mouthed high school kids calling each other f***ing "C's" I'll get my copy of Hamlet out and console myself that my child is a lover of the Bard!:rolleyes:

Yes, that was the one I was meaning.
People seem to get so high brow when it comes to swearing and forget that it is an essential part of our language and our culture.
Hello, HIM, nice to see you around, I hope you're well? :)

people are rubbish etc.

hullo virtie. i'm okay, ta. i hope you are, too. how's uni 'n' stuff?

tee hee hee now you're just lying.

silly silly

am not. ask virtually dead.

can you list shakespeare's plays?

I'm with HIM on this one. Anyone who thinks it's acceptable to use words like paki is a right c*** in my book.

I think it's important for children to swear,it's part of the fabric of social interaction, the key is teaching them when it is and isn't appropriate. That's just my opinion, but what would I know, I'm just a twat with low intelligent.

people are rubbish etc.

hullo virtie. i'm okay, ta. i hope you are, too. how's uni 'n' stuff?

I'm very well thank you, uni and stuff is fine, we're having an exhibition soon so that will give us something to do :)

And for anon x, I think the quote goes:

'Did you think I meant country matters?'

It's a pun, but the reference is there.

I'm very well thank you, uni and stuff is fine, we're having an exhibition soon so that will give us something to do :)

Dead right. I remember that quote too.

I recall the lyric from the majestic Neil Hannon...

"My words fly up to heaven
My thoughts remain below
Words said without feeling
Never to Heaven go"

Which is of course a paraphrase of Hamlet too. Words are words. With feeling they become more forceful.

Peter

sounds good. glad you're enjoying it. you're doing something quite arty, aren't you?

Neil Hannon...

"My words fly up to heaven
My thoughts remain below
Words said without feeling
Never to Heaven go"

great band, great song, sir. any idea what he's up to at the moment?

great band, great song, sir. any idea what he's up to at the moment?

No idea. After Victory For The Comic Muse, has he done anything? So many good moments. Generation Sex, Your Daddy's Car, Love What You Do...I think probably my favourite lyricist. And that's over or an equal with Morrissey.

Peter

Country does not a c*** make

in the context, i think it means, "of, or pertaining to 'c***'".

it's word-play; do you see?

can you list some things?

Back
Top Bottom