Paris - Salle Pleyel (March 8, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Our Frank / Alma Matters / I Wish You Lonely / Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before / Rebels Without Applause / Jim Jim Falls / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Knockabout World / The Loop / I Am Veronica / Without Music The World Dies (live debut) / Let Me Kiss You / The Bullfighter Dies / The Night Pop Dropped (live debut) / Istanbul / Trouble Loves Me / Half A Person / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist courtesy of: @Like_Elvis_In_The_Movies, @Mozzer1980, Twitter, setlist.fm & FWD.

Last edited:
The new songs sound fantastic. I often think people expect too much of Morrissey, more than they expect of a certain other ex-Smith, say. Not only do they want the music to be brilliant but the lyrical content has to be extremely profound and personal, too. Some songs just sound great and that's okay. Sometimes a straight forward message is all you need. He has plenty of poetic and introspective songs in his catalog already.

The way he prances around in his pointy little shoes and baggy jeans to sweaty US funk at the age of almost 64: who would have expected that after his stylish comeback in 2004-2006? This music doesn't speak a word to me. It has no magic @ all. To my ears, the title song has the same dramaturgy as IANADOAC and serves the same clichés lyrically for the umpteenth time. Sure, he himself thinks it's a milestone but he won't make up any ground with it.

Sadly, I can't disagree. Almost all of his best music is behind him, as well as his best aesthetics. But I respect him as an eccentric unwilling to get out of the spiral, and I still think he comes out with good songs, even if they're fewer and farther between. These two aren't tens, of course. You're right about the "dramaturgy" of the title & lyrics of World Dies, but somehow I don't mind Morrissey flogging his pet dead horses. And I much prefer him doing it to music that recalls the vintage rockabilly of Pregnant for the Last Time, The Loop, &c. than the dance-pop industrial dreck of Dog On a Chain. It's an improvement.

I don't like Moz swearing. He needs to cut that out.
I swore at Morrissey in 1994.
HMV Vauxhall signing, we were among the last to get let through as he had clearly had enough after a few hours signing.
10 years my hero, so excited to meet him and tell him I loved him etc and when I passed him my LP, he looked up at me and what did I say?
‘I bet you’re f****d’, it just fell out of my mouth, I was mortified.
He just smiled and said ‘Extremely’ .
Never meet your heroes.

The Night Pop Dropped is thematically identical to Rebels without Applause. Is it some kind of vengeance for the 'Bonfire' fiasco and he's just writing the same songs twice?

People praising the new stuff, I think, are mostly trying to will greatness into existence.
They’re not great, brilliant or “catchy af” - they’re just… alright.
Par for the course for Morrissey these days. Fine to listen to for a few days when/if the new album comes out, then never revisit again until they randomly pop up on shuffle one day.

Wonder if this is about the first time Iggy And The Stooges played a
show in England.
They played a showcase show when they were recordin' Raw Power.
It was considered an milestone and there was a bunch of folks like
John Lyndon and so forth in attendance.

Ket was right.

sounds it? could be? I can’t make out all the lyrics enough to come to the conclusion that yes it’s about Iggy, as I predicted based on just its title.

Btw, those two Rick Rubin interviews you posted were fabulous. Thanks(y)

The crowd at tonight's concert seemed as if they were barely alive and breathing.
My hunch is a lot of this is due to the ever increasing general age of the audience. I remember being in the pit in the Quarry years, and it would be so rowdy you'd be struggling to stay on your feet, whilst a stream of stage invaders would also be constantly surfing over your head. These days it's mostly wheezy middle aged (or older) folks and you barely get jostled. The passionate young folks are less and less.

I have a spare ticket for tonight at Salle Pleyel (9 march), selling at cost, I will be in the queue from around 7 pm with a black and blue polo coat and dark blue jeans. Will be asking if anyone needs ticket.

I swore at Morrissey in 1994.
HMV Vauxhall signing, we were among the last to get let through as he had clearly had enough after a few hours signing.
10 years my hero, so excited to meet him and tell him I loved him etc and when I passed him my LP, he looked up at me and what did I say?
‘I bet you’re f****d’, it just fell out of my mouth, I was mortified.
He just smiled and said ‘Extremely’ .
Never meet your heroes.
I must’ve been just behind you—if it was Manchester. Most of us latecomers rushed around the back, and surrounded his Saab, in the hope of catching an autograph.

Meanwhile, Morrissey simply slipped out of the main front doors untroubled and barely noticed apparently.

I had to make do with a quick chat with his chauffeur: nice enough bloke.

I must’ve been just behind you—if it was Manchester. Most of us latecomers rushed around the back, and surrounded his Saab, in the hope of catching an autograph.

Meanwhile, Morrissey simply slipped out of the main front doors untroubled and barely noticed apparently.

I had to make do with a quick chat with his chauffeur: nice enough bloke.
It was Oxford Street my friend, but exactly the same scenario, out the side door followed by us running after him, straight into the car without any fuss, although my friend managed a hug.

It was Oxford Street my friend, but exactly the same scenario, out the side door followed by us running after him, straight into the car without any fuss, although my friend managed a hug.
I managed only to get to know the top speed and braking distance of a Saab 900 convertible.

My tests for the new Moz tracks:

Do the lyrics and melodies interpret the music effectively? Yes

Are the songs typical of Morrissey’s unique tone and thematic hallmarks? Yes

I’m not too hung up on whether they meet the VERY high standards of earlier works.

There’s flair and fun with these new tracks and the 2014 and onwards career stretch is very interesting indeed.

The Truth !

What a fantastic setlist!! Hammersmith is gonna be grand!!(y)

I'm not completely blown away by the two new tracks, but they sound quite promising...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom