Record Collector: Jim Reid (The Jesus And Mary Chain) on The Smiths debut album

Couple of bits from the latest Record Collector #556 (April, 2024):

The Smiths
(Rough Trade, 1984)

"William is a massive Smiths fan. I wasn't a fan then and I'm not a fan now. It used to drive me mad because I couldn't find anyone back then who didn't like The Smiths. I don't get them at all. They leave me completely cold."

markup_1000159543.png

Small bit on a record shop too:

markup_1000159524.png

FWD.

worst group ever to come out of scotland.i would say absolute mince but as they are scottish i will say absolute haggis.

Might just be me but I always thought J&MC were over-rated and wouldn't recognise a melody if it landed on their heads. Doesn't bother me in the slightest what some of them think about Smiths/Moz, or what anyone thinks.

“When people labelled us 'the new Pistols'”
Huh? Is he high? Who are these people? Don’t worry Jim, no one can ever say that again but because no one said it in the first place.

I find it impossible to not totally love Head On and Just Like Honey. I had Automatic and listened to it a bit, did not have Psychocandy, which I think most people find to the their best.

Psychocandy was/is a classic. One of the best albums of the 80s.
There was a rather funny interview with the Reid brothers in the NME around the time of this NME cover where they joked about Morrissey shaving his armpits.

1711097975540.png

So this guy decided to mention the Smiths because he doesn't like them? Why even bother? That's kind of weird.

On the Stone Roses front I agree with him re The Second Coming album. I listen to that album way more than I do the debut album. I do disagree with him about his comments on them being retro and pointless though. The first time I heard Fools Gold I was hypnotised.

It doesn’t bother me one bit that he doesn’t like the Smiths. The Jesus and Mary Chain are awesome. Not everyone I like has to be bubbling over in love with the Smiths or Moz. I mean, it’s always nice if they are, but not necessary!

So this guy decided to mention the Smiths because he doesn't like them? Why even bother? That's kind of weird.

On the Stone Roses front I agree with him re The Second Coming album. I listen to that album way more than I do the debut album. I do disagree with him about his comments on them being retro and pointless though. The first time I heard Fools Gold I was hypnotised.
I think the magazine insisted on him mentioning The Smiths, thro’ the conceit of asking his opinion on influential debuts.

I can agree with him on two things: that VU album is one of the handful of gold standards for modern music, and Licensed to Ill isn’t.

Surely the magazine provided a list of classic debut albums for him to comment on? To me, that seems way more plausible.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom