Swedish Morrissey Interview Now Online

D

dandysweets

New Swedish interview up on following link (in Swedish) -

http://www.nojesguiden.se/musik/article.asp?aID=12442

It's pretty good, and though a lot of the usual subjects are touched upon there are some nice comments and funny moments and it seems both the interviewer and Morrissey had a nice hour in each other's company. I don't think I will translate it all (besides i don't understand all Swedish words) but here are some bits of it -

-Have you never considered a career in Academics?
I'm not particularly academic. And I have a very slow brain.

- You're joking.
It's true. It's very true. I'm a very interesting person but I'm not made for 'education at all.

- So music really was the only way out for you?
Absolutely. It was definitely a calling.

- Tell me about the new guitarist Jesse Tobias.
I met him a few years ago. He's Mexican but was born in Texas. A fantastic combination.

- How has he (Tobias) inspired the new album?
He's a very clsoe friend who's also blessed with a unique musical style and he's also touring with us. Before Jesse, it was always Alain Whyte but Alain is not very interested in touring.

- That surprises me. He's always very energetic and charismatic on stage.
Yes, he is a wonderful person.

- But Jesse is taking over?
Yes, I don't like the word 'taking over'... but 'taking over' is the word, unfortunately. Because Alain has been very involved in the making of ROTT....

...'I have always been fascinated by death, since it's something which will happen to all of us.

- Yes, you are a bit like Woody Allen. With a better looking body.
Yes, I certainly hope so.

- Do you watch his films?
I appreciate them but I don't go out of my way to find them on DVD...................

- Personally I suffer from a serious Oedipus-complex, what's your greatest weakness?
I care too much. Something that might not have been medically defined yet but nevertheless it's my absolute greatest weakness. I feel and care a great deal.

- About what?
About everything and everybody. But I'm not neurotic....

OK, I'll end it there, maybe someone else will continue and fill in the spaces I didn't translate. Otherwise I might continue later. The problem with translating a text which was originally done in English, from Swedish, BACK to English is tricky. Of course, one can write down the words and find the meaning in them but chances are that the words I have translated fom Swedish to English may not be the exact same words Morrissey originally said in English. Oh well, hopefully the meaning should be pretty much the same either way in the end.

I Thank You With Most Of My Heart

That sounded pretty much Morrissey-esque to me! Thanks for the translation. Please do the rest

what a complete f***in waste of everyones f***in time that f***in crock of f***in shit was

I've been thinking this for a while, but hearing Morrissey describe Jesse as a very close friend makes me wonder ... are Morrissey and he lovers? And would he say so if they were?

Ok, here goes, just remember, I’m not Swedish so I didn’t understand all the words. Those I’ve written in CAPITAL LETTERS I don’t quite understand so hopefully someone who does understand can fill them in and change any errors I have made with the translation in general. Cheers.

The Joyspreader from Manchester

April 2006.

He carried the whole world on his shoulders. Transformed a musical career into a religious crusade. Despised everything that didn’t resemble Oscar Wilde, Pat Phoenix and Coronation Street. Now he has revised his view on life. Developed a liking for vodka tonics, sexual activity and Tommy Korberg. His name is Steven Patrick Morrissey and he has finally gotten to meet Carl Reinholdtzon Belfrage.

I’m sitting in a BURSPRAAK in a suite in Rome, wearing sunglasses and fiddling with a pen. My eyes are GLASARTADE in here. Between me and countless Rudolph Valentino-copies outside in the enclosed garden is a spotless window and I’m waiting for Steven Patrick Morrissey.

I lean my forehead against the glass and leave a spot of moist and skin-lotion. I will be leaving this room in an hour but the spot will remain and see Morrissey sit on his bed, kick off his shoes and dive under the duvet. Should I be jealous?

For me Morrissey is like a Jackie Collins-novel. I can enter his world for hours. I consider intelligence to be something very erotic so in my world Morrissey is the most sexual experience one can have. And God knows he’s got many good sides – the well-spoken-ness, his (good) taste, his honesty, integrity, but maybe the thought of him walking around cemeteries holding a flower in his hand is what speaks to/Intrigues (?) me most.

Morrrissey is the most valuable leftover from The Smiths. Everybody has an opinion about him. Now more than ever. He has gone from young, shy indie-icon to a mature survivor walking Los Angeles beaches like a ALLMANN ANGELAGENHET. Many don’t seem to appreciate that development. I welcome it. I want him to be bigger than Sting. But Morrissey is not out to gain acceptance or the love of the public eye..

I have to say there’s an air of expectance flowing through my body (-cells). To meet a person who has meant more to me, and how I view the world than August Strindberg, Evelyn Waugh and my parents is… earth shattering, but I feel more relaxed than anything else. As if I’ve come home.

There’s an electronic click in the door-lock. Morrissey enters wearing a white t-shirt, V-neck pullover, dark slacks and leather-shoes SKURNU UR SMOR. He nods, greets me politely and asks what I would like to drink. The room is completely soundproof, the only sound there is comes from Morrissey, pouring tonic into a glass of vodka after having given me a glass of white-wine.

- Has it been a long day?

No, it’s been a short day. But I’m sure it will be much longer later. Did you have trouble getting here?

- I took a taxi. The traffic here is lethal.

It’s in a sad state I know. I don’t understand that the streets aren’t completely blocked by accidents and people splintered by broken glass.

- So Rome, you live here now?

Yes, I’ve spent most of my time in Rome over the last year but I live here at the hotel.

- Was Pasolini’s old house not available?

Hahaha, no, I’m (still) looking, but we’ll see.

- What are your impressions of Rome?

My first impression of Rome was many years ago, and it was very bleak but that’s not Rome’s fault. It was with The Smiths. We toured Europe and stayed in Rome for a couple of days but I never left the hotel room. I was so unresponsibly narrow-minded at the time and lived with the conviction that England was the grandest of all states and that the rest of the world was inferior to our fantastic kingdom. I’m very ashamed of that today and realize how absurd that conviction was. I visited Rome a few more times but just passed through the city like a ghost, my mind was totally blocked. I didn’t experience anything. Since then I came here about a year ago and the city’s fullkomligen fell all over me. The people. The architecture. The history of the city. Everything. I even found the traffic appealing in its own slightly sick way.

- So, with your catholic background, you haven’t become religious in your older years?

It’s something one can never really get rid of, it’s something one has to fight with until the end. Since Catholicism is so dominant and massive it has an almost paralyzing power. And even if you decide to fight against it, it will take an enormous amount of willpower and energy. I’m not saying I’m totally against the church or Catholicism but I try to have a rational relationship with it. But the church is of course very powerful in all ways, not least of all politically. It tries strongly to control the people but it isn’t reflected in the people’s lives. Even if the Italians have a strong state standing above them and a church that bites them at the heels, they are very independent and free-spirited. They live their own lives. And they seem genuinely happy.

- Yes, they give the impression that they are very proud and outgoing.

Exactly, which is fantastic because that’s a complete contrast to the USA in which, as we all know, the inhabitants fear everything.

- The difference is interesting when thinking of how closely related those countries are politically speaking.

Yes, but the politics and the politicians in a country almost never reflect the people. Politicians don’t deserve their people. And they don’t speak for their people. Most of all, they don’t respect their people. It is the same whether it’s in Italy or the Usa or in England. The governments are totally disinterested in the people who elected them. And is that fascism? Yes, absolutely. In England it (the government) drowns/strangles (?) the people. In America it scares the people. But in Italy it doesn’t seem to have much of an effect. Instead they seem to resonate that ‘Sure, we have a pathetic government but let’s go out tonight and have a good time’.

- So why do you think it is that ‘power corrupts’ to such a large degree?

It’s all about gigantic ego-tripping. It’s about being dictatorical, something which Tony Blair is. Seemingly Bush also. And they will never voluntarily give up their power or admit to being wrong. Their egos grow and spiral out of control to such a degree that they end up despising and ignoring the people. And become totally unbearable.

- You don’t see any exceptions?

No, you must be corrupted and lacking emotions, which is the mere nature of politics. I mean, if you scan the whole political field can you then find any human, sympathetic, intelligent person who speaks for you or the people? I personally can’t. That’s why I don’t vote, I just try to stay out of it.

- Many would argue you should vote blank to help make it a more democratic result.

I don’t think the politicians care. I don’t think it has any effect whatsoever. A blank vote won’t stop the world. It doesn’t create any RUBRIKKER either.

- You are into politics, it’s something you are happy to talk about in interviews and include in your lyrics. But at the same time it’s impossible to imagine you getting involved in for example Live8. Are you content with your own political platform?

Do I have a political platform?

- Of course. You have a devoted public which you influence but even more you have the chance to speak your mind about things on your records and in the media. Yours and Pamela Anderson’s involvement in Peta and the influence of Meat Is Murder are just two examples of your influence.

Hmmm yes, I think part of that influence I have depends on me not being involved with Live8 or partaking in the celebrity world. I stand totally outside of everything and I’m just here for the songs, for the lyrics, which puts me in a unique position. I don’t speak my mind on behalf of anyone else and I actually just talk about politics because I’m shocked about the time we live in. But otherwise, I don’t have any interest in it. But yes, I think life is a tragedy. And yes, I think the world is a tragic place but I only discuss it when I’m asked about it.

- Yes, but it’s evidently something that pops up in your lyrics. Is it a kind of self-therapy (catharsis?), a way to handle the world?

Yes, there is a certain comfort in talking or singing about it and I suppose it’s a sort of equivalent to seeing a psychologist or something like that. So naturally it’s a healing process to express ones feelings but I wish I didn’t need to do it. I wish that the Usa, England and Italy could produce marvelous prime ministers and presidents and that the world was a magnificent place to be.

- But then you wouldn’t have anything to sing about?

No, then I wouldn’t sing at all. I would be perfectly content with PAATA in a RABATT somewhere in…Malmo.

-Have you never considered a career in Academics?

I'm not particularly academic. And I have a very slow brain.

- You're joking.

It's true. It's very true. I'm a very interesting person but I'm not made for 'education' at all.

- So music really was the only way out for you?

Absolutely. It was definitely a calling.

- Tell me about the new guitarist Jesse Tobias.

I met him a few years ago. He's Mexican but was born in Texas. A fantastic combination.

- Has he played in other bands before?

He has done many things before but he probably wouldn’t appreciate me listing them here.

- How has he (Tobias) inspired the new album?

He's a very close friend who's also blessed with a unique musical style and he's also touring with us. Before Jesse, it was always Alain Whyte but Alain is not very interested FORTJUST in touring.

- That surprises me. He's always very energetic and charismatic on stage.

Yes, he is a wonderful person.

- But Jesse is taking over?

Yes, I don't like the word 'taking over'... but 'taking over' is the word, unfortunately. Because Alain has been very involved in the making of Ringleader Of The Tormentors and the record offers his most brilliant songs. Have you heard Life’s A Pigsty?

- Yes, I’m impressed.

It’s wonderful.

- Yes, it’s really made an impression. It’s the song everyone’s talking about.

I know, and it pleases me enormously.

- Since You Are The Quarry you are using a more simplistic and direct style (musically).

It’s something that’s very unusual in today’s music-world. I listen very much to pop-music and especially to what pop-singers today are singing but I don’t know what they’re singing about and the conclusion must they’re singing about nothing. It’s very important for me to be direct, straight to the point and memorable. I don’t want people to listen to me without leaving an impression.

- In general people have difficulty seeing the nuances in your lyrics and you are probably missing out on a large group of potential fans with your TIDRIGERE FORMSPRAAK, which was more ironic, developed and playful.

Unfortunately I think you’re right. Many people tell me my lyrics have been too difficult, too literate.

- Which is a compliment.

Sure, but it’s also a form of rejection. ‘You can’t expect invitations, prizes, a big public etc’. Which unfortunately is true, since the bigger part of the population is very simple and will never understand.

- But if you could do it all over again would you choose to be simple and direct from the first The Smiths record?

Well yes, but I wouldn’t want to change anything (I’m not sure I understand this sentence, it seems to contradict itself)

- Death is strongly present on Ringleader Of The Tormentors, more than ever. How is your relationship with death?

I must have a relationship with death. It’s inevitable, for you too. So it must be touched upon, but it’s not the first time I sing about it.

- No but it’s the first time it’s so PAATAGELIG and UTTALAD. The theme of death is floating over almost every song.

Yes but I have always been fascinated by death since it's something which will happen to all of us.

- Yes, you are a bit like Woody Allen. With a better looking body.

Yes, I certainly hope so.

- Do you watch his films?

I appreciate them but I don't go out of my way to find them on dvd. Thirty years ago I thought he was very quite funny as the neurotic, Jewish soul leading a life where nothing can go right. But not now.

- Personally I suffer from a serious Oedipus-complex, what's your greatest weakness?

I care too much. Something that might not have been medically defined yet but nevertheless it's my absolute greatest weakness. I feel and care a great deal.

- About what?

About everything and everybody. But I'm not neurotic.

- But you mean you can watch something on TV or hear something on the radio and then you react?

I react very strongly. I become possessed. Totally possessed.

- And that becomes your drive to write?

Yes, but those hours I don’t write or stand on a stage become a bit of a handicap. A short sentence or action from someone can occupy and irritate my mind for hours. When I really should be in that RABATTEN in Sweden.

- Otherwise you seem to live a quite normal life. I saw the Bbc-documentary The Importance Of Being Morrissey with my grandmother and she thought you seemed very nice and normal.

Yes, but your grandmother was exactly the target-group (of the documentary)! The way I sing on the new record is not normal, but I’m not as complicated as that and I live a much less complicated life than people think. And there are many things in my musical life that I enjoy. When I think of my alternative lifestyle or how I lived 25 years ago when I didn’t think I’d live another year, then I feel very blessed to be sitting her with you, talking about Ringleader Of The Tormentors.

- When did you last laugh?

I’m certain I laugh almost every day. I’m a quite giggly person.

- When did you last cry?

I never cry. Maybe I don’t have any tear-canals because I just can’t. Even when I’m completely down and upset I’m completely devoid of tears. Strange but true.

- How do you handle grief?

I just try to be alone and keep to myself. People don’t want to be around people who are down or depressed so I try to handle the situation alone.

- You Are The Quarry was a great success for you. Has it opened any doors?

No.

- No?

No, not at all. Life goes on as usual. What did you expect?

- Private table at the Ivy. A docusoap at Mtv, news from Hollywood about Jude Law playing you in a biopic about your life?

Hahaha, Jude Law? You mean Arnold Schwarznegger? Which of course would be the obvious choice. No, nothing like that has happened. However the expectations to Ringleader Of The Tormentorsare greater than they have been for my other albums.

- Yes and you also have a new audience now, bigger and wider.

Yes, absolutely, especially in Denmark. The people there were so young.

- You mean at the Roskilde Festival?

Yes and they sang along to every song. It was almost shocking. Sorry it was shocking (I’m not sure I understand those two first lines, please someone Swedish help with translation), particularly since it’s to be expected that a Smiths-song is better received than, shall we call it, a Morrissey-song. But it didn’t happen like that at Roskilde. Everyone knew the lyrics for my songs. And they seemed so fascinated with me and genuinely interested. It was nothing less than fantastic.

- But how would you react If you were given a ticket for Hollywood? Or an invite from Martha Stewart or Oprah?

I would probably faint because I’m so used to being overlooked by the cultural establishment and ignored by everyone else.

- Yes, but that was what one would think changed after You Are The Quarry.

Well, people view me as being too complicated. That I am ‘too much’. The music-industry sees me as a UDDA character. They see me as art. But they don’t want art.

- Another compliment.

It’s an enormous compliment. Better than being ‘too little’. But the point is that I don’t belong in a celebrity-world. I’m not a celebrity. I’m not a pop star. I don’t fit into that world. Especially not with Mtv or any of those Tv-programme-frames where everything is strict and organised. I would just feel very shy and uncomfortable in such an environment. So I will never get any music-prizes or invitations. And I don’t want them. They don’t want me and I stay away. The feeling is mutual. But to get back to something you said earlier, people always talk about the golden days of The Smiths but the truth is that there has never been a more interesting time of my career than right now. I never had any record-labels that really supported me before I met Sanctuary. They said ‘tell us what you want and we’ll help you’. There have never been so many people who are so interested in me as now. That’s fantastic.

- Yes, there is a new Morrissey-public now out there.

Yes and God bless them.

Morrissey stands up, walks to the bar, play with a ISKLYVERE and an ISBLOCK and let the icecubes fall into the glass.

More wine?

- Yes please.

Have you heard of Tommy Kouberg?

- Kouberg?

Yes. Tommy Kouberg.

- Ah, Tommy Korberg. Yes, he’s one of Sweden’s biggest singers.

Still?

- Still. You know about him?

I have a video-recording of a song he sang in 1969 which is called ‘Judy, min Vjen’.

- ‘Judy, min van’. That was a big eurovision-hit.

But what does the title mean?

- ‘Judy, my Friend’.

Judy, my Friend? Of course. Either way it’s my favourite song. I listen to it every day.

- You would fit into Tommy’s company, Morrissey. He’s part of what almost can be described as a contemporary rat-pack. He has friends like Kjell Bergqvist. Of course you don’t know who Kjell Bjergqvist is but he’s ready to eliminate any journalist who in any way should disturb Tommy.

Well, that’s the kind of friends you want Carl.

Morrissey’s press-agent enters and tells us that the hour has passed. I say goodbye, glance towards the window and walk to the door. When I touch the electronic lock I hear a voice which I have gotten to know in the last hour.

Carl, how old are you?

- Thirty.

Oh, lethal age. Be careful.

- The thirty-years-crisis? Isn’t it just something everybody’s saying?

Everybody’s saying it because it’s true. The thirty-year-limit is a milestone. You begin to see forty. When you’re in your twenties that was unthinkable, but before you know it you’re forty. Me myself I had a minor crisis. I was totally petrified. It will happen Carl, it will happen.

- Thanks for the great news.

Well I’m known for spreading joy and happiness.

That's great. Thank you. You should post that on the main board.

Though come to think of it you'd just get loads of people saying "he's so boring now, not like in the old days"

Thank you so much for your efforts!

BTW, this interview is much better than the Intro one

Thanks Danny and maybe.

I actually did submit it to the main board but don't know when/if he'll post it, also I hope some Swedish people will change the words I wasn't able to make out. Oh well, tomorrow, the Danish interview should be out so I guess I might have to do some more transcribing/translating again then ;(

> That's great. Thank you. You should post that on the main board.

> Though come to think of it you'd just get loads of people saying
> "he's so boring now, not like in the old days"

Missing swedish words

'Burspråk' is a certain part of a house.
'glasartade' means 'glassy'
'allmän angelägenhet' is '[a] public good'
'skurna ur smör' literarily means 'cut out of butter' i.e. well-designed.
'påta' means 'to poke about'
'rabatt' here means 'flower bed'
'förtjust' means 'fond of'
'tidigare formspråk' means 'earlier style (of writing)'
'påtaglig' means 'evident'
'uttalad' is 'explicit'
the sentence is correct, except it should be 'sorry, it was shocking' (stressing 'was')
'udda' means 'odd'
'isklyvare' is some tool for chopping ice into cubes, perhaps?
'isblock' is 'ice block'

Back
Top Bottom