Tell us about the last film you watched, pt 2

• Thread starter Deleted member 28602
  • Start date
@Born to Harangue are you jealous because I'm talking to someone else?! I'm allowed to talk to other people besides you, honey bunny!!

I feel like I am :(

Sometimes when I hear someone spitting I want to take off my coat and look at the back to make sure they didn't get me.

Oh that reminds me, the other day some kid spit on one of my colleagues, a lady in her 70s. What is this world coming to when old ladies get spit on? All I can tell you is if someone purposely spit on me, they would never see again.
Phlegm lapels for the last time!

watched banshees of inisherin and thought it a beautiful parable of a movie. what do we owe other people. how do you continue in the face of approaching oblivion. do you live in the moment or try to make something that outlives you which is hard as people dont have the best memories and will distort your legacy anyway until it to slides into oblivion. not the downer you might think it would be either. think i watched it as the kid from saltburn is in it (the little one not the tall one). gonna watch north hollywood tonight which claims to be the first movie (fictional) about becoming a pro skater. also looks better than it sounds at least from the trailer

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021) - available on BBC iPlayer now - adorable cast, intelligent and funny script, good catch-up for the original, great soundtrack - when Buzzcocks' Boredom kicked in, I really felt it. Might watch again tonight!

watched banshees of inisherin and thought it a beautiful parable of a movie. what do we owe other people. how do you continue in the face of approaching oblivion. do you live in the moment or try to make something that outlives you which is hard as people dont have the best memories and will distort your legacy anyway until it to slides into oblivion. not the downer you might think it would be either. think i watched it as the kid from saltburn is in it (the little one not the tall one). gonna watch north hollywood tonight which claims to be the first movie (fictional) about becoming a pro skater. also looks better than it sounds at least from the trailer
If you haven't seen Martin McDonagh's short film, Six Shooter, it is well worth a watch...

Come And See (1985) is a 'war film' but to describe it so sparsely almost feels grotesque. Few movies are this distressing and emotional to watch. It is visceral. I actually had to stop watching it half way through and come back to it on another occasion. It was just too unsettling and upsetting to watch in one sitting. Directed by Elem Klimov, it tells the story of a boy called Flor who joins the partisans in Belarus a couple of years after the Nazi invasion of the USSR in 1941. It was well received when it was released, but has since gone on to be described as one of the greatest films of all time. And you can see its influence on many other directors. It is available to watch for free on YouTube. But be warned - it is not easy viewing. Nor should it be, given the subject matter. The truth of war and human cruelty - up close and ugly.

Leave The World Behind (2023)
Reviews oscillate hugely for what some might describe as a dystopian film, starring Julia Roberts and Ethan Hawke. To me, it's a reflection of prevailing societal dynamics. Closely related to Don't Look Up. I can't object; like an honest confession by a good friend about something being done that is going to be tough to take. Not fun but up to standard. Produced by the Obamas, which doesn't sweeten the pill, and recently feeding into speculations about the Baltimore Bridge collapse https://www.counterpunch.org/2024/04/04/the-baltimore-bridge-collapse-conspiracy-as-mothers-milk/

Surprisingly, watchable online - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8qhex4

This is a fun movie: Me and My Gal (1932) with the masterful Spencer Tracey as Danny Dolan, a wisecracking New York cop with a casual manner. A couple of lines caught my interest early on, such as Danny chatting up a waitress, Helen Riley played by stylish Joan Bennett, saying 'I'll take you for a nice trip through the cemetery', and commenting on Al Smith, the New York governor who stood for president in 1928, that there should have been enough Smiths in the phone book to get him elected! As you might expect from the names, it's quite the Irish community. I watched it on YouTube.

She Said (2022)
Interesting story about the NYT's investigation of Harvey Weinstein's behavior towards women, starring Carey Mulligan and Zoe Kazan. At one point the journalists interview Weinstein's likeable lawyer and ask him if it's normal for men to leave a trail of so many settlements, about a dozen in Weinstein's case. The lawyer pauses before admitting that yes, in fact, yes, it is normal! I guess maybe for a subset of men, those above certain levels in Hollywood, and extrapolating then, similar cohorts in other industries? A disturbing admission anyway, if true. At least it surprised me. Anyone more familiar with the territory?

Trailer:

Triangle of Sadness (2022)

A cross between the Morrissey favourite, Ship of Fools (1965) and both Parasite (2019) and Saltburn (2023)

Drama about guests and staff on a luxury cruise-ship, and incidents that befall them. Smart, thought-provoking, sometimes funny, though a bit long.

Trailer

Wicked Little Letters. I could watch anything with Olivia Coleman. She's great. This movie is ok. It's based on a true story that apparently gripped England in the 1920s, the decade that came after the Suffragette campaign before World War I that culminated in the Representation of the People Act of 1918, and women being allowed the vote in Britain. The movie recreates 1920s England in great detail - but makes the odd decision to suggest that society in 1920s England was diverse and multicultural. It is all rather odd. Some might even describe the movie as 'dishonest'. Do we really want to 'diversity-wash' the past in this way? Very odd. Other than that, the movie is entertaining. But not a classic, by any stretch of the imagination.

May I recommend Baby Reindeer? It was very good, imo. Great acting, very interesting plot and cool soundtrack. I didn't know anything at all about this series - which I prefer - and was drawn in by it. I'll leave it at that, don't want to spoil it.

Civil War. Really enjoyed this. A big fan of Alex Garland. Ex Machina and Men were excellent.
In some ways a more US and up to date companion-piece to Banshees of Inisherin. A vision of what happens when people stop being civil to each other. And it gets ugly. The movie starts off slowly but the tension starts to build and by the end it's a real adrenaline ride. It's not perfect - the plot has holes, but when a movie is this good you can forgive a lot. Given the upcoming election in November, the movie also scrupulously avoids taking 'sides' and keeps everything very elliptical and ambiguous - which works really well. Definitely worth catching at the cinema.

Come And See (1985) is a 'war film' but to describe it so sparsely almost feels grotesque. Few movies are this distressing and emotional to watch. It is visceral. I actually had to stop watching it half way through and come back to it on another occasion. It was just too unsettling and upsetting to watch in one sitting. Directed by Elem Klimov, it tells the story of a boy called Flor who joins the partisans in Belarus a couple of years after the Nazi invasion of the USSR in 1941. It was well received when it was released, but has since gone on to be described as one of the greatest films of all time. And you can see its influence on many other directors. It is available to watch for free on YouTube. But be warned - it is not easy viewing. Nor should it be, given the subject matter. The truth of war and human cruelty - up close and ugly.

Hard watch indeed, but the teenage perspective and animal victims of war made it feel like a Morrissey take. The only let down for me was stereotyped portrayal of the Germans, which detracts from the message that this horror at minimum is what all war means.

Wicked Little Letters... Do we really want to 'diversity-wash' the past in this way? Very odd.
Malarkey would have your guts for garters if she was here! Stay civil!

Back
Top Bottom