The Definitive Smiths Reunion Poll: Yay or Nay?!

Do You Want The Smiths to Reunite?

• For God's Sake, YES!

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • Ugh...Absolutely Not!!

Votes: 44 74.6%

• Total voters
I could not find this poll elsewhere and I searched...so I hope I am not duplicating efforts...

Do you want them to reunite? Personally, I say absolutely not. My reason? It was a different time and a different place. They created something incredible and now it's in the past.

Sometimes it can work, like the New York Dolls reunion, but Sylvain Sylvain and David Johansen still like each other (they still kiss on the lips during shows!). But there is so much animosity between all of the Smiths that it would be an awkward sight to have to sit through.

What do you think?!

Hi. I ran a very similar poll a few months back. I gave people the option of a Smiths reunion or just a Morrissey/Marr get together. The result was that many more of us wanted a Moz/Marr thing than a Smiths reunion. It's not surprising really given that a) Marr and Moz were the creative force and b) the bad blood there's been between Moz/Marr and Joyce. I'm not sure people realise the extent of Johnny Marr's negativitiy towards Joyce Michael. We all know how Moz feels but Marr's feelings are almost as strong...

Hi. I ran a very similar poll a few months back. I gave people the option of a Smiths reunion or just a Morrissey/Marr get together. The result was that many more of us wanted a Moz/Marr thing than a Smiths reunion. It's not surprising really given that a) Marr and Moz were the creative force and b) the bad blood there's been between Moz/Marr and Joyce. I'm not sure people realise the extent of Johnny Marr's negativitiy towards Joyce Michael. We all know how Moz feels but Marr's feelings are almost as strong...

You can still vote Maurice's poll:

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=72354

;)

I really wouldn't like a Smiths reunion, having said that if they announced it I would be urgently seeking tickets. The tension between band memebers would fail to let either Morrissey, Marr, Rourke or Joyce have a decent time and that I feel could have a major effect on the fans. I don not think that the same passion would be there either as it would possibly be more for money than anything nowadays, surely if they were desperate for the music to show its face again they could have said or done something by now. It was largely the time and place that made The Smiths so wonderful and that has changed now whether you want to accept it or not. They had such a crucially audacious image in the way that the danced about and dressed and I for one wouldn't be to keen on seeing Moz trying on one of his flowery baggy shirts in his mid forties. I guess I am trying to say this; I am not ruling out possibilities just I personally cannot see it happening.

and most importantly of all reasons for it to not happen the HUGE quiff has got somewhat shorter and more grey.

(Also, a question. I am aware of the hatred between Moz and Joyce but what is the current standing on Moz and Rourke?)

I really think its verging on disrespectful to Morrissey's current band and long time collaborators to hope for a Smith's reunion. Where would that leave Boz and Gary? Remember Morrissey has played with them for nearly three times as long as he played with the Smiths.

I would much rather he reunited Boz, Gary and Alain.

I voted no

I don't think a Smiths reunion will ever happen and nor do i think it's a good idea.
HOwever,maybe,some time in the future it would be nice for Marr and Morrissey to write again together

I was too young to see The Smiths play live while they were together, but I still loved/love the band. Although I missed out, I don't want to see them re-form for a one off or anything like that. Life moves on, they have moved on, and I am actually quite happy with Moz as a solo artist and Marr's work post-Smiths.

It's never going to happen, there are good reasons for that, and we should accept it.

If people want to see The Smiths, I'd recommend one of the many excellent tribute bands.

It's the closest you'll ever get and if you can see them in a venue the originals played in... even better!

I vote No. It would seem contrived and unnatural. Moz is just fine solo, playing Smiths songs live when he pleases.

absolutley!
i dont particularly like any of the smiths apart from el moz
so why bring them back?
solo he has smiths songs, his own songs, and has his own band(who can play marr's music just as well as marr could)
so why dig up old graves?

Hmmm... I wonder how we break down demographically on this. I discovered the Smiths just a scant five months after they broke up... I was in London their last month together. So close... so maybe that's why I would like to see it.

But you're right, I would just as well see Morrissey/Marr. The other two... sorry.

In the whole mess over royalties, the real villains are whoever were being paid to advise these guys. They were kids, really. Shouldn't the record companies, solicitors, accountants, and managers have taken four minutes to make sure the paperwork was in order? Wasn't that what they were being paid for? What do 20-year-olds know about contracts?

Hmmm... I wonder how we break down demographically on this. I discovered the Smiths just a scant five months after they broke up... I was in London their last month together. So close... so maybe that's why I would like to see it.

But you're right, I would just as well see Morrissey/Marr. The other two... sorry.

In the whole mess over royalties, the real villains are whoever were being paid to advise these guys. They were kids, really. Shouldn't the record companies, solicitors, accountants, and managers have taken four minutes to make sure the paperwork was in order? Wasn't that what they were being paid for? What do 20-year-olds know about contracts?

I just missed seeing them in person too, but I definitely do not want to see a reunion. A Smiths reunion would be like watching an elderly James Dean (had he lived) hamming it up as the "funny old uncle" on "Friends" or some other sitcom. Or how about Marc Bolan as a member of The Traveling Wilburys or John Lydon living long enough to star in a reality TV show. No. Death perfected The Smiths. Let them stay dead.

Good question about the legal paperwork, but then that's the mystery with The Smiths, isn't it. No one's quite sure how young and naive Morrissey and Marr really were. What did they know, and when did they know it? Of such stuff are lawsuits made.

I just missed seeing them in person too, but I definitely do not want to see a reunion. A Smiths reunion would be like watching an elderly James Dean (had he lived) hamming it up as the "funny old uncle" on "Friends" or some other sitcom. Or how about Marc Bolan as a member of The Traveling Wilburys or John Lydon living long enough to star in a reality TV show. No. Death perfected The Smiths. Let them stay dead.

Good question about the legal paperwork, but then that's the mystery with The Smiths, isn't it. No one's quite sure how young and naive Morrissey and Marr really were. What did they know, and when did they know it? Of such stuff are lawsuits made.

Yes, I'm not even sure whether James Dean was any good. Death did perfect him. I'm just really glad it was only the Smiths that died, and not any one of the Smiths.

As for the second matter- I'm just going to take my overprotective mother stance and run with it. That way no one I care about looks bad.

It would be wonderful yet IMPOSSIBLE... We all know why... Although I cry only imagining a Morrissey-Marr reunion... They together on tour... What a dream... Let's be honest: They don't need the other too :)

Morr/Marr :p Can you imagine something like that? In your city, in a stadium? But Johnny has not been nice to Morrissey in the latest interviews and Morrissey loves being solo because he gets all the attention... I don't think he would be keen on sharing that attention with someone else anymore.

I could not find this poll elsewhere and I searched...so I hope I am not duplicating efforts...

Do you want them to reunite? Personally, I say absolutely not. My reason? It was a different time and a different place. They created something incredible and now it's in the past.

Sometimes it can work, like the New York Dolls reunion, but Sylvain Sylvain and David Johansen still like each other (they still kiss on the lips during shows!). But there is so much animosity between all of the Smiths that it would be an awkward sight to have to sit through.

What do you think?!

most of the time i think reunions are just ways to manipulate the fans.
take for instance, Sting. I saw him in 2001 for $60, and it was awesome. He played all the favorites it was practically a three hour show! now he's touring with "the police", like I care about those two, and the tickets are more than double what they are when its just Gordy himself. so i wont be seeing the Police preform live, I'll just wait until the next season when Sting is alone again- and affordable.

most of the time i think reunions are just ways to manipulate the fans.
take for instance, Sting. I saw him in 2001 for $60, and it was awesome. He played all the favorites it was practically a three hour show! now he's touring with "the police", like I care about those two, and the tickets are more than double what they are when its just Gordy himself. so i wont be seeing the Police preform live, I'll just wait until the next season when Sting is alone again- and affordable.

Sting needs more money to NOT donate to Live Earth :D

His existence alone protects our environment.:rolleyes:

As much as I like Sting, unlike Morrissey...I can't think of one solo song that equals The Police's output...

And I do have 4 Sting CDs....

And his "A Kid BELONGS with His Mother...Everybody Knows that..What Can A Father do but Babysit sometimes"...Is pure Crap....

Back
Top Bottom