The "right" closer for The Queen Is Dead?

MozIsGod

Let's say that The Smiths decided to include a personal favorite of mine,
"Asleep", onto The Queen Is Dead. Now I know all the issues about the tracklisting and how it doesn't flow right, but I think that the following three songs are probably the best out of those sessions.

From "I Know It's Over", "There Is A Light..." and "Asleep", which would have the best closer for that album?

Let's say that The Smiths decided to include a personal favorite of mine,
"Asleep", onto The Queen Is Dead. Now I know all the issues about the tracklisting and how it doesn't flow right, but I think that the following three songs are probably the best out of those sessions.

From "I Know It's Over", "There Is A Light..." and "Asleep", which would have the best closer for that album?

I actually love the album as is and think that Some Girls are Bigger than Others is a perfect closer for the album.
"Send me the pillow ...
The one that you dream on ...
And Ill send you mine"

If I was hard-pressed to pick one of your choices...I guess I would go with There is a Light. But honestly, if it was my decision, I wouldn't change a thing.

I'd go for "I know It's Over " because after it ,it would be ;)

i don't think there are any issues with The Queen Is Dead
it wouldn't be the same if anything was different

I don't think there are any issues with the running order on The Queen is Dead. I love the "rollercoaster" feel to it - what other band could start with "The Queen is Dead", follow it with "Frankly Mr Shankly", and then follow that with "I Know It's Over"?

I love the cheek of ending on "Some Girls", too. After "There Is A Light", that beautiful guitar riff fades up, fades down, fades up again, you think you're in for something poignant, even heartbreaking ... then Morrissey comes out with those lyrics. To say it's unexpected is an understatement (that is, if you haven't read the tracklist).

Still, ending on "Asleep" is an interesting idea. But I'd still want "Some Girls ..." on there. I think it's better than "Never Had No One Ever", so maybe in place of that. I wonder how "Some Girls ..." would sound, following "I Know It's Over" ...

so here is the only live version of asleep, lasting five minutes, from the inverness, eden court 1985 oct 1. show. (which is soundboard)

when you listen to this, at about the minute and five second spot, you hear the crowd whistling as if booing, and morrissey, with all his heart continues to sing

when i posted this song about a year ago a person who was there at this show said skinheads were spitting at morrissey also.

so with all the balls morrissey has, continues, to give this heart wrenching performance, until at the end of this five minute song has the crowd , to what sound like, a standing ovation

listen to asleep now instantly

http://mozzbozz.vox.com/library/audio/6a00cdf3a7625fcb8f00e398bf3f540004.html

p.s. btw esheh195 lovejoy rules

Back
Top Bottom