the queen is dead overrated?

No, it's Strangeways, obviously :p

I've always found TQID to be overrated. Not that it's a bad album, but it's certainly no better in my mind than MIM or SHWC. And, shockingly, i argree with mike joyce that Some Girls and Vicar drag it down. But i'd also add Boy With The Thorn as a low point as well. And Frankly Mr Shankley.
I agree with everything you said about TQID. Not that I think that Vicar and Some Girls are bad songs, just that they are below the standard of I Know It's Over or There Is A Light... Frankly Mr Shankly is good but a bit too music call for my taste. Still, The Boy with The Thorn is my least favourite track on the album, it sounds very cheesy, and this is why I have to agree with charlie tango that the production wasn't the best. I have no problem at all with the live version of Boy from Rank.

funnily enough meat is murder is my least favourite smiths album ...
i find it a bit forced somehow ... the 1st lp doesnt do much for me
either ... like they hadnt really got used to making records yet ...
still ill is fantastic but i find things like the hand that rocks the cradle
a bit one-dimensional ...
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle is anything but one-dimensional!!

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=61600&page=4&highlight=song+meanings

Can't see why Strangeways gets all these plaudits, though. Half of it is amazing, but the other half is sub par (Death At One's Elbow, Unhappy Birthday, and - yes - stop Me - though I realise people love this song. I just never really cared much for it).
Both Stop Me... and Unhappy Birthday are great as far as I'm concerned, musically and lyrically.

Back
Top Bottom