The Wire

Mozza220559

Surmontil 50
Does anybody watch it?

I've watched the first series and it's really impressive. It's brilliant.

This bloke explains it better than me...

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sZ2iGYwdEi8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sZ2iGYwdEi8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Just recently finished watching it on BBC2. One of the best things I've seen on tv for a long time. The second season set on the docks was outstanding. Keep watching, you won't be dissapointed. :thumb:

Just recently finished watching it on BBC2. One of the best things I've seen on tv for a long time. The second season set on the docks was outstanding. Keep watching, you won't be dissapointed. :thumb:

I liked the second season as well, but that's unusual. I think most people get a little turned off.

You are right, though, it just gets better and better. Season five isn't quite as intense as the first four, but it does wrap up the entire series pretty nicely, in my opinion.

It's one of those 'multi-layered' dramas where as you watch on you don't know who are bad and who are good, and each of the characters have a complex background to them.

It's obviously more realistic and well executed than ANY other type of crime related screen story that i've seen anyway.

I like the fact as well that it's set in Baltimore not in the typical NYC or in LA

I can't wait for the next series or 'Season' though!

Last edited:
I am tired of people talking about "The Wire" and not watching it
so I am downloading 5 seasons now :straightface:

I recommend it over and over again, and every time I say, "Look, I'm sorry for boring you to tears talking about 'The Wire'". It's so good you feel apologetic for recommending it. ;)

Tell us what you think after you watch it. If you weren't joking. :)

I recommend it over and over again, and every time I say, "Look, I'm sorry for boring you to tears talking about 'The Wire'". It's so good you feel apologetic for recommending it. ;)

Tell us what you think after you watch it. If you weren't joking. :)

will, do, all start Sunday since Andi is sucking all the bandwith :cool: & I like to wait til I have a bunch of episodes in a row at once to watch :)
also, I never joke about downloads :o

my boyfriend and I plan to watch it if we ever stop having sex. Until then; life's too short... at least I've got it to look forward to (even though I don't really want to watch it).

my boyfriend and I plan to watch it if we ever stop having sex. Until then; life's too short... at least I've got it to look forward to (even though I don't really want to watch it).

What did that say about anything?

Are you just bragging to us that you never stop having sex?

What did that say about anything?

Are you just bragging to us that you never stop having sex?

Yeah basically, it's a non stop orgy. ;)
What did it say about anything?! It said... I'm planning to watch it. But I can't be bothered! Convince me otherwise!

Yeah basically, it's a non stop orgy. ;)
What did it say about anything?! It said... I'm planning to watch it. But I can't be bothered! Convince me otherwise!

it is incredibly well written, hugely gripping, about 20 deeply developed characters throughout the seasons, very accurate social commentary. At times it is hugely tragic and also at moments very funny. it rarely becomes cliched or unbelievable...realism is never compromised for entertainment (except for one f***ing stupid storyline in the last series) and vise versa.

i also find it telling that most people when asked about the wire either say they love it or say they've not seen it.

Last edited:
"The Wire" is the best TV drama in the history of the medium, bar none.

This, a thousand times this. I've watched all seasons through 3 times now. I think in the second watch through you pick up on a lot more. The first season sort of confuses you at first with so many names and nicknames being thrown around that it takes awhile to wrap your head around.

Such an interesting multi-layered show. The fact it has actors in it that have lived the lives of the characters involved just gives it such a geuinity to it. For example, the actor who plays old black preacher dude is the guy that Avon Barksdale is based off.

I LOVED the education season... it's totally harrowing to see the youngsters living such grown up, traumatic and joy free lives.:(

This, a thousand times this. I've watched all seasons through 3 times now. I think in the second watch through you pick up on a lot more. The first season sort of confuses you at first with so many names and nicknames being thrown around that it takes awhile to wrap your head around.

Such an interesting multi-layered show. The fact it has actors in it that have lived the lives of the characters involved just gives it such a geuinity to it. For example, the actor who plays old black preacher dude is the guy that Avon Barksdale is based off.

Totally. It is one of the few television dramas that actually seem to contain a genuine understanding of the micro and macro issues that come with the decline of both the inner city and the national industrial base.

The creator David Simon spent, I believe, a number of years interacting with the Police, the dealers and the users of Baltimore as a beat reporter for the Baltimore Sun and this is what makes it a genuinely nuanced creation.

For those interested in The Wire, his previous shows Homicide: Life on the Street and The Corner deal with the Police and the users experience respectively and while not as accomplished, you can see the germ of ideas that would be tied together in The Wire.

Back
Top Bottom