Tim Booth in Q (March 2019) - Morrissey, early Smiths support, "We Hate It..." confirmation

Posted by an anonymous person (original post):

"...much more interesting is the James Q Mag (March 2019) interview where Tim Booth bitches about Moz and gives praise for the Smiths early support.....Not sure why this hasnt been mentioned here yet ....very funny how Morrissey refused to go onUS tour without James and especially the "Calendar" picture anecdote!!!

Excerpt from the interview:

"...But [Tony] Wilson was amazing. He begged us to make an LP for Factory and we really should have. But we were steered away to Sire [The Smiths' American label]. Who were The Big Bad Wolf. Morrissey warned us about Sire. We should have listened."

Morrissey's patronage - inviting James as Smiths tour support, covering Jimone's What’s The World and naming them his "favourite" band in the music press - brought them the deserved spotlight they'd hitherto preciously avoided. The two sensitive, "celibate", vegetarian singers were obvious kindred spirits. "He was a good friend," Booth says of Morrissey. "He’d ring me up and say 'Come on out' and we'd go around church graveyards.""

Like in The Smiths' Cemetry Gates?

"Yes," he says fondly. "The Smiths were really lovely to us for years. Morrissey and Johnny Marr came to the studio when we were recording Stutter. They told us we should release Johnny Yen as a single, and we didn’t listen, and they were totally right."

Booth believes the friendship first strained when James turned down the offer to support The Smiths on their 1986 North American tour. "He went AWOL two days before. Rough Trade rang me up and said, 'Do you know where Morrissey is? He's refusing to go to America without you.' He went in the end, but I think he was a bit upset."

Five years later, solo Morrissey invited James to join him on the bill of an ITV music special celebrating 30 years of Amnesty International where he planned to preview his new single, a vaudeville retort to James’s newfound fortunes: We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful. "It was [about us]," confirms Booth. "Kevin Cummins took a lovely photo of us there together backstage. Then much later Morrissey did an official calendar. It was 10 pictures of him, one of The Smiths, and that one of him with his arm around me. And we looked sooo gay together! And I was like..." Booth’s eyebrows fandango. "That's a little out there! I had no problem with it. It was, 'Oh, really? You still love me? That's sweet.' But Morrissey fell out with me in the end because I stopped being a vegetarian. I think. Because of my liver, physically I got so sick with the diet. There are only certain things I can eat, even now." He scoops another spoonful of meaty broth. "And chicken soup is one of them."

45850_gettyimages-580480073-1024x1024.jpg

Didn’t know Booth was homophobic.

And where’s this official calendar he speaks of ?

Anyways, glad Morrissey shook another
off his coattails. And Tim seemed such a sweet boy.

:cool:

Tim isn't homophobic. Stop imagining things. Typical response - think Morrissey is perfect and untouchable, and monster anyone who isn't a fawning sycophant.

is the same DH who is in that SUCKY BAND JAMES!!!????
ONE of the SUCKIEST GROUPS EVER!!

has hair on this photo but now suffers from:8ball: Syndrome.:grinning:

WHAT A CAD!

hes a little bit like the bald dude from the other thread who isnt sure from day to
day about his gayness.doh:

You really are a f***ing arsehole with your snide comments about other artists who you know f*** all about.

Tim Booth in an interview September 2016 -“ I find a lot of people really wanting to look for a sustainable life, whether that be philosophically or ecologically or sexually. The whole opening up of gay marriage and transgender has been a massive step forward which I would date back to the ’60s, it just took a long time.”

The Mayo Clinic does not list any foods that should be avoided with Gilbert's syndrome.
Instead, they recommend eating healthy and making sure you consume plenty of vegetables and fruits.

Wild T!
From the British Liver Trust:
"Many people find that they cannot tolerate eating carbohydrate foods very well. Typical carbohydrates are bread, pasta, rice and potatoes." That certainly complicates things if you're vegetarian. Morrissey would starve, that's for sure.
https://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/liver-information/liver-conditions/gilberts-syndrome/

:poutingcat:Yes it appears to be so from his ill advised comments. What a DH.:sunglasses:
he also chomps on poor defenseless :handpointright::rooster::handpointleft:

all James members are hereby :banned:

From the British Liver Trust:
"Many people find that they cannot tolerate eating carbohydrate foods very well. Typical carbohydrates are bread, pasta, rice and potatoes." That certainly complicates things if you're vegetarian. Morrissey would starve, that's for sure.
https://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/liver-information/liver-conditions/gilberts-syndrome/

there many items he could eat: carrots, spinach,pickles, bananas etc but what does he do?
Chomp on the poor:handpointright::rooster::handpointleft:!!!

DOUBLE :banned:

"Brittish Liver Trust"...Is that a name of a kickball team in Brittin? I reckon are refried beans and tortillas considered carbs too?

I have a new worry to think about now. Mitchell.v my minager, will goinlgsewhere. I was rather honest with him. I didn't tell him how difficult it was going to be. There will be awkward interactions. Hopefully I'll be 8ver that now. He was my first live, and I now have to sit with him.

I don't seem to fit in anywhere. I hate being put under pressure. If I could live my life, again, I'd be like, everybody else it must be lovely to be like everybody else. I' d give my right arm to be like everyb9dyelse. I really would like to fit in.

The Mayo Clinic does not list any foods that should be avoided with Gilbert's syndrome.
Instead, they recommend eating healthy and making sure you consume plenty of vegetables and fruits.

Wild T!

The Mayo Clinic. Lol! Stick your weak-as-gruel, self-righteous veggie nonsense up your arse, grass-fed. Save your breathe for standing upright.

Shallow from the sallow.

I want to feel part of life. Unfortunately, I can't. I would love to partake as everyone else does. It's past me by, as always, oh what I'd give, just to be natural for one moment in my life. I'd love to be one of thiose people where life is loving and giving and putting your trust in other people. I swear, a moments love would suit me just grand.

Lovely pic.

I ran into Tim Booth in 1997 around the time he was doing Booth & The Bad Angel (with Bernard Butler). I was mainly curious about working with Bernard Butler, but I did ask him about Morrissey. He was pleasant. He said he hadn't seen or talked to him in a while but he still enjoyed his music, etc.

Funny, Alain Whyte thought "We Hate It..." might have been inspired by a comment he made to Morrissey once. But James seems more likely the target.

Last edited:
Lovely pic.

I ran into Tim Booth one time around 1997 around the time he was doing Booth & The Bad Angel (with Bernard Butler). I was mainly curious about working with Bernard Butler, but I did ask him about Morrissey. He was pleasant. He said he hadn't seen or talked to him in a while but he still enjoyed his music, etc.

Funny, Alain Whyte thought "We Hate It..." might have been inspired by a comment he made to Morrissey once. But James seems more likely the target.

What did he have to say about Bernard

You mean Morrissey.
:rolleyes:

doesnt this bald dude from James give aerobics classes in "los angeles". same
type of classes pioneered by richard simmons?o_O

wearing them judo britches so he can dance and give karate kicks on the mat:squiffy:

Lovely pic.

I ran into Tim Booth one time around 1997 around the time he was doing Booth & The Bad Angel (with Bernard Butler). I was mainly curious about working with Bernard Butler, but I did ask him about Morrissey. He was pleasant. He said he hadn't seen or talked to him in a while but he still enjoyed his music, etc.

I think Tim likes to think he's more important to morrissey than he actually was.
Bit like Lloyd Cole,
I don't think We Hate It is a song about Tim/James it's more aboyt how Manchester treated moz
PS by James is a dig at Morrissey though-

'You're a weapon of devotion
Keep the faithful entertained
You're a lover of attention
Found a way to pawn the soul
Disposition may be fetching
But the world moves on and leaves you far behind

I hear you, I hear you, whispering such gorgeous stories
I see you, I see you, trying to break free
You liar, you liar, you can't live the dreams you're spinning
You liar, love to be deceived

You're falling, you're falling, falling from your god-like distance
You're fashion, just fashion, fashion doesn't keep
You're sour, so sour, all is hope and trust is misplaced
You're sour, now you are alone

Walking on fire, feel the way the world's inclining
Walking on fire, hate to deceive
Walking on fire, now the world will keep its distance
Walking on fire, you rather than me

My son says, dear father, what did you do when the world turned over
Keep spinning, keep spinning, send us off to sleep
You liar, you liar, all your words are just dust in moonshine
You liar, love to be deceived

Walking on fire, found a place away from humans
Walking on fire, hate to deceive
Walking on fire, now the world will keep its distance
Walking on fire, you rather than me'

I don't think Morrissey refused to go to America due to James not going either, he was f***ed off by them not going but that wasn't why he didn't want up go.
Its worth remebrting how unwell morrissey was in sniths days

Back
Top Bottom