Washington, DC - The Anthem (Oct. 18, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Our Frank / Suedehead / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Alma Matters / Half A Person / I Wish You Lonely / Let Me Kiss You / How Soon Is Now? / Girlfriend In A Coma / Darling, I Hug A Pillow / The Loop / Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way? / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Irish Blood, English Heart / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Jack The Ripper // Speedway

Setlist courtesy of "Right in the Head".

Last edited:
I was there. My god such a weird show (or not??).

There's a few things I found interesting. Mind you this was my first Morrissey show so I'm not actually sure what's considered normal.

There were a few really interesting picks for the setlist. It had, "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful", "The Loop", "Jack The Ripper", "Speedway" and a country cover; I'm not sure which though. Also, "How Soon Is Now" was not played at the beginning, but rather the 3rd or 4th song. He was also about 45 mins late (The show was supposed to start at 8:00).

Some people I met there said he's pretty much always this late for his shows. He got on stage but after a while he became visibly annoyed at something and walked over to the guy operating the fog machines. He whispered something to him and they nodded at each other. The show went on and things became pretty odd. He made sure to point out how big the gap was between the audience and the stage. Someone tried to run on stage (which I know is common at his shows) but weirdly enough he seemed pretty pissed off about it. Another one jumped the security gate and when security walked off he went "Oh c'mon" and walked away.

The later in the show it was the more pissed he seemed to be. He was on the other side of the stage from where i was and he started yelling, "no! no! no!" and asked for security while pointing at someone, He left the stage with the band after like 5 songs and came back a few minutes later in a suit. A song into the encore he began yelling at someone on the other side of where I was and saying "leave!" over and over until security got someone, then abruptly stormed off stage.

Very odd experience but I'm glad I got to witness something like this in person lol. I know he's known for this stuff but this show just seemed like there was tension between him and the anthem or the security guards.
Yes that’s not what happened.

Well, yes, but if you title your tour "40 years of Morrissey", it is a bit misleading if you just play pretty much the same set as in your previous tours. Plus it's a missed opportunity, because you can't play that card again in a long time.

Madonna definitely has more chart hits, but she also has a history of favouring recent material live. Here's a setlist from 2019 which has a whopping 12 songs played from her then current album Madame X which had no hits on it. But this time she really is playing nearly a greatest hits set, which Morrissey should do this time too.

Madonna's current set:

And just how stupid it is to tour this under the moniker "40 years of Morrissey". It makes the ticket buyer expect for something special, but it's just the same old same old. What will the tour title be in 2024? "41 years of Morrissey"?
Stale for so many years.

Well, yes, but if you title your tour "40 years of Morrissey", it is a bit misleading if you just play pretty much the same set as in your previous tours. Plus it's a missed opportunity, because you can't play that card again in a long time.

Madonna definitely has more chart hits, but she also has a history of favouring recent material live. Here's a setlist from 2019 which has a whopping 12 songs played from her then current album Madame X which had no hits on it. But this time she really is playing nearly a greatest hits set, which Morrissey should do this time too.

Madonna's current set:

He has never done a greatest hits tour and never will. Beats me why any longterm fan would still expect that of him. He could also do a Smiths-only tour, or an early solo-only tour.
But he never will. He doesn’t like those sort of cash-ins.

He has never done a greatest hits tour and never will. Beats me why any longterm fan would still expect that of him. He could also do a Smiths-only tour, or an early solo-only tour.

I thought the 07/08 tour was thought of as a Greatest Hits tour.

Following a break of about two weeks Morrissey resumed his Greatest Hits tour with a bunch of dates on the American East Coast. The tour wasn't officially announced as a Greatest Hits tour in the media, but that's how it was named on the merchandise.

Following a break of about two weeks Morrissey resumed his Greatest Hits tour with a bunch of dates on the American East Coast. The tour wasn't officially announced as a Greatest Hits tour in the media, but that's how it was named on the merchandise.
Yes that tied in with the GH-album release.

But the setlist was hardly a true GH-setlist like other artists do. If Morrissey doesn’t like to play a hit song he won’t. He won’t be dictated what to play.

I got about half of the pre show vids on setlist. Phone ate a bunch. Was going to fix when I got home but someone beat me to it. There was also a David Bowie vid, but I wasn’t familiar with the song (Ziggy era)
Karma Man has been used this tour - if that helps.
FWD.

merch_report-19102023-0011.jpg
merch_report-19102023-0010.jpg
merch_report-19102023-0009.jpg
merch_report-19102023-0008.jpg
merch_report-19102023-0007.jpg
merch_report-19102023-0006.jpg
merch_report-19102023-0005.jpg
merch_report-19102023-0004.jpg
merch_report-19102023-0003.jpg

merch_report IG

Yes you're right there. I have the '07 shirt with the sleeve art on the front.

This should haven been my 6th Morrissey show but was my 3rd. His voice was awesome, the band kinda okay, he looked incredible, and was a great show.
IMG_3747.jpeg
IMG_3751.jpeg
IMG_3756.jpeg
IMG_3767.jpeg

Actually he did in 2007--well he called it that anyway and I have the T-shirt to prove it from the show in Milwaukee.

Actually he did in 2007--well he called it that anyway and I have the T-shirt to prove it from the show in Milwaukee.
True, that tour was labeled the GH-tour but wasn’t really setlist-wise with lots of album tracks and b-sides thrown in the mix in typical Moz-style, like Ganglord, The Loop, Disappointed etc

Back
Top Bottom