What now? A frank and open deep conversation

No such thing as retiring for a "lifer". He is an artist. He's going to keep creating art like he loves to do and is born to do.

That's like if a painter stops painting because he's getting too old. Nope, doesn't happen. As an artist you paint until you can't see or hold up your arm any longer. For him, he will sing and write until he can no longer can pick up a pen or sing a note. I don't see him ever stopping. Maybe stop touring, but never stop writing and recording music.

I wish his latest record didn't get hi-jacked, it's disgusting that it even happened.

----

Who knows where the future will take Morrissey and his fans. Speculating aside, all we can do is keep on moving forward and see what happens.
Whatever he does, I wish him the best. He's on my mind a lot.

"He knows I'd love to see him happy or as close as possible; as close as is allowed.."
I agree with most of what you say, but his record wasn't hi-jacked.

no to any sort of touring for all of this year,come back next year with a sense of purpose and get bonfire out early in 25,hes not finished yet,theres still work to be done.

M once retrospectively described Southpaw Grammar as fixed in time, firmly stuck in 1995. For me, it's hard not to feel that an album like Bonfire, which was constructed in the quarantine period of pandemic, is suffering a similar fate - if unheard, by and large. Without Music The World Dies has only been in the can for a year but two of the principal collaborators have moved on. Under those circumstances, how well does it mull and age with another album standing in its way? Does the seemingly solidified line-up of 2023 stay the course in 2024 or move on?

Impetus, it seems, has become impotent. I honestly would not hazard a guess as to M's next move at this juncture. He could just as easily go on a Grey Goose bender at the Chateau Marmont and fart out another novella as make yet another new album. Or pack it in and laze in Lausanne forevermore. I don't think even he knows. 🤷‍♂️

Ok. Absolutely no touring for 12 months. Overthink composers and musicians. Get sober, if alcohol really is the problem.
Realise your true status/position in the music world of 2024. Don't overestimate yourself and scrutinise everything, even with psychological help. Take money in your hand (that you have) for clean and unfortunately also humble PR work. Admit mistakes, if you can. It will help you. Be open for a change but at the same time, also cling back to the music that suited you best. Try to come to an agreement (without publicity) with Johnny Marr and manage the Smiths' legacy in harmony, only because of Andy.
Never ever (self)release BOT under the name you planned to. It's commercial suicide and disturbing for most of us. Every great artist has it's double album during their lifetime. A double longplayer with both unreleased albums titled "My latter-day adventurous years" oslt, if you still have enough wit.

Last edited:
Because of their poor education? why do they bother?
Sorry if I’ve been brittle with you. I suppose I overreacted, with the intention keeping this thread free of criticism, but I suppose that’s unrealistic, and maybe Morrissey likes a bit of criticism.

Sorry if I’ve been brittle with you. I suppose I overreacted, with the intention keeping this thread free of criticism, but I suppose that’s unrealistic, and maybe Morrissey likes a bit of criticism.
The critics who
Can't break you
Unwittingly they make you
So don't let the good days
Of the gold discs
Creep up and mug you :)

I like the idea of short residencies where he performs a different album (+ old favorites) every night. If at all possible, get the musicians that played on the albums with you onstage. This would be first on my wishlist.

Some other ideas:
- Compile a book including all the backdrops you hve ever used at concerts with a short motivation of your choices
- Start your online website dedicated to orbituaries, as you seem to like it.
- Support some charities for animal welfare, maybe open a home for abandoned cats and dogs. I’ll happily adopt one your cats or dogs and give it a new place.
- Hold on to your friends, look up old friends and record a cover together that you could post online.

His choices may be very limited due to all the bridges he's burned

Nothing can really be done until the toxicity leaves the band (Jesse and Knutson), but that won’t happen, so as far as the live situation goes this is as good as it gets. It can only get worse.

The only thing we have to look forward to is new (or old) music. But that doesn’t seem likely either, so I’d be happy with one of two things (or both):

1) Someone leaks BOT and WMTWD

2) He puts out a collection like The Cure’s “Join The Dots” with all unreleased tracks that haven’t surfaced yet since Viva Hate. But he’d probably not self release that, so point one is the only real thing I cling to.

2) He puts out a collection like The Cure’s “Join The Dots” with all unreleased tracks that haven’t surfaced yet since Viva Hate. But he’d probably not self release that, so point one is the only real thing I cling to.
Isn't there some unreleased material he did with Stephen Street, but then there was a money dispute? :rolleyes:

Isn't there some unreleased material he did with Stephen Street, but then there was a money dispute? :rolleyes:
Not really. Apart from versions of VH tracks maybe 1-2 very early demos ("I don't want us to finish") from 1987 on cassette. An outtake collection like Springsteen's TRACKS in general would be a wonderful idea

I know what should happen now, for Moz to drag himself out of this largely self-induced mess, but it won't happen. Instead we'll get more business as usual, so I predict:

STAGE ONE - IN WHICH THE MORRISSEY WAGON APPEARS TO RIGHT ITSELF
  • Morrissey signs to a new record label, this time a minor (maybe he goes back to Rough Trade?).
  • Morrissey records a new album.
  • Morrissey books a small tour - the dates go down well, the new tracks sound promising - here we go! Things are on the up again!
STAGE TWO - IN WHICH THE WHEELS FALL OFF
  • Morrissey falls out with his record label, slags them off in public and the album release is cancelled.
  • Morrissey says something potentially right-wing, further alienating a number of fans.
  • Shows start getting cancelled, and the tour grinds to a sudden early halt.
Rinse and repeat, until the end of time.

Back
Top Bottom