When did you become a Smiths/Morrissey fan?

When did you become a Smiths/Morrissey fan?

• 1983 The Smiths

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • 1984 Hatful of Hollow

Votes: 20 12.2%
  • 1985 Meat Is Murder

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • 1986 The Queen Is Dead

Votes: 14 8.5%
  • 1987 Strangeways

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • 1988/9 Viva Hate

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • 1990/1 Bona Drag

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • 1992/3 Kill Uncle/Your Arsenal

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • 1994/5 Vauxhall & I/Southpaw

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • 1996/7 Malajusted

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • 1998/9

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 2000/1

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • 2002/3

Votes: 14 8.5%
  • 2004/5 You Are The Quarry

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • 2006 Ringleader Of The Tormentors

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My friend in school had Hatful of Hollow on cassette.
When I heard William... my jaw dropped.
"The rain falls hard on a humdrum town..."
The most beautiful thing I'd ever heard.
I think it was early 1985.

This Charming Man on TOTP + a Smiths session (or at least Hand in Glove, I think) on the John Peel radio show were my first interest. Gives a clue to my age group, I s'pose.

Then I just went mad on them - they were even influential in my move to Manchester in '86.

I went off Moz somewhat in his Southpaw Grammer/Maladjusted phase (but now I really rate the latter album), but then was tempted back by the good reviews for Quarry. So glad I was - I'm now into him/Smiths even more now than 20 yrs ago (friends/family think it's a mid-life crisis...).

Thikning back to the JP radio show, it was 2 or 3 tracks that were played, that were subsequently on the 1st album - I think it was Reel Around, Hand that Rocks, and Miserable Lie/Still Ill (I'm sure I'll soon be corrected on this by an afficionado)

Mike:rolleyes:

I bought a Morrissey compilation in America in 2001, I was a massive Cure fan at the time, so i felt guilty about it lol - but after that i saw the light and dumped the cure :D

Aly Panic said:
I had Panic, Shoplifters and Sheila Take A Bow singles but didn't get my 1st album until '89, I got The World Won't Listen.

Weren't you listening to Jason and Kylie that year?;)

Not til Vauxhall and I for me, when I ditched my Roy Orbison and Flying Pickets albums.

This poll should put the myth that all morrissey fans are holdovers from the Smiths days to rest!

Back in 1998....Panic followed by There Is A Light...on Y107.

Those were the days....

Late 1984, with Hatful of Hollow. I drove my family completely mad by listening to it non-stop for months. My stepfather (who must be killed!) would take the piss and sing along to Heaven Knows: "..I was looking for a yob, and I found a yob.. and heaven knows, I'm sick as a toad..." Bastard. :p

Sammy Treegates said:
Weren't you listening to Jason and Kylie that year?;)

Not til Vauxhall and I for me, when I ditched my Roy Orbison and Flying Pickets albums.

Our Stu liked a bit of Kylie & Jason but he was only 3!

I'm a pretty new fan but irish blood english heart was the first song I really liked. I only really knew this charming man and panic before that and had never paid much attention :o

My boyfriend's a bit of a fan so I borrowed the best of albums from him to start with. We have a friend (who I assume posts here) who adores Morrissey so I think I have him to thank/blame in a way!

I remember the precise moment, i was watching the Tube (channel 4 jools holland show) and it was about march 1984, when all of a sudden this amazing band The Smiths came on and did "what difference does it make", I was hooked and next day rushed out with my pocket money to buy the album

humdrum town said:
I remember the precise moment, i was watching the Tube (channel 4 jools holland show) and it was about march 1984, when all of a sudden this amazing band The Smiths came on and did "what difference does it make", I was hooked and next day rushed out with my pocket money to buy the album
Ooh, what a great song to start a life-long addiction with! ;) And I can so remember having to save up my money to be able to buy an album! You just made me feel very old! :D (and welcome to the board - don't let the freaks freak you out too much!)

Alexandra said:
Ooh, what a great song to start a life-long addiction with! ;) And I can so remember having to save up my money to be able to buy an album! You just made me feel very old! :D (and welcome to the board - don't let the freaks freak you out too much!)

Firstly sorry for the first bit,:) and secondly thanks for the welcome, that song realy was a life changing experience, i stopped listening to steve wright and started listening to John peel.

August 2003. I was at my summer job, a silent museum where I usually work as a guide, when my cousin dropped by with a copy of Hatful of Hollow. I know it's a kliché, but that day changed my life.

Back
Top Bottom