Why I won't Attend The New York Concert

pandora_cocteau

This is the ultimate test: I am going on a school trip (well, my department at university) to New York on the same weekend of the New York dates. When I first found out, I thought it was a sign from heavens- there must be a connection! Must be a reason! I planned on getting three tickets and just camping outside the Hammerstein Ballroom the whole time. I could care less- it's Morrissey, my one true love.

But then as time started passing, I started realizing how unhealthy this obsession is. This is my first visit to one of the cities that I have been dying to see...with some newfound friends, REAL, interesting, amazing people...something that I have not experienced before I got to university, and I planned on spending it waiting in line for a man, who has a huge, long tour, sees people swooning over him every night. Sure, this is the man that made my life bearable for the last few years.... but at the same time, would this be the right choice for me?

It is a very difficult decision. I don't know if I will be able to stay true to my promise once I get to the city. I cried and I cried....but I just don't know if I can do this whole worship thing anymore. Morrissey is one man that I truly, deeply loved, and still love, and seeing him in concert is way more than just a concert to me- it is a connection...something much deeper. Therefore, since obviously it isn't reciprocal, I realized I cannot do it. And I cannot go and see him and be indifferent either...I can't just go and 'enjoy the setlist'.

What do you guys think? Of course, some of you might think "oh god you're crazy!!! Go see him if you have the chance!"....that is what I thought too....but when do we start living our own lives? Where do we draw the line? When do we become the Morrisseys of our own lives? I think if I pass this test, I'll pass anything.

Ugh, being in love with a famous, divine man who will never care hurts. I think Morrissey is destined to be alone because no one can live up to him...being superior in both intelligence, looks, emotions....it has its perks, but in his case, it alienates him from the rest of eathly scum. I am glad I am coming to these realizations at 18. It pains me to say, but....I need to put an end to this love, but at least I'll know it was pure, and true, and that I really, really tried.

When you're dancing and laughing and finally living...

seriously, good for you. If you feel it is unhealthy it no doubt is. because most people would try to justify and lie to themselves.

There is such a thing as balance, though, and moderation. But just like an addict can't have "just one" maybe that doesn't work for you. Have fun in New York, whatever you do.

Dave is wise, I entirely agree with what he said (on this thread, anyway. The PC thing will have to wait a few hours.).

When you're dancing and laughing and finally living...

This is what I was going to quote... you have to get out there. He's given you a gift, take it and love it. You don't have to be psychically married to him to love his art. Live your own life and create your own art.

And what did he say? "Hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly..."

Ok, now I'm getting all sentimental and I feel like a favorite aunt passing out palatable parental advice.

Maybe I'll bump into you in NY this weekend. I'm going to the shows, but I'm not camping out. Call me disloyal, whatever. There's more to life than getting a spot on the rail.

This is what I was going to quote... you have to get out there. He's given you a gift, take it and love it. You don't have to be psychically married to him to love his art. Live your own life and create your own art.

And what did he say? "Hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly..."

Ok, now I'm getting all sentimental and I feel like a favorite aunt passing out palatable parental advice.

Maybe I'll bump into you in NY this weekend. I'm going to the shows, but I'm not camping out. Call me disloyal, whatever. There's more to life than getting a spot on the rail.

Ah, I just cried a little. "hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly".
It's like I am living the words...it's like a damn goodbye. It's ridiculous.
You aren't disloyal at all.
I just think this is it with Morrissey and I, and it is scaring me... As I sti here surrounded by pictures of him...
I feel guilty I am finally becoming happy, social and well...my own person. It's like I am disowning him or something...

I'm a fully functional happy social human being with a slight Morrissey obsession. I got to shows when I can, but I don't camp out, and I don't ALWAYS have to get as close as humanly possible. Dave's right, balance is possible.

Note to self: if, at any point in the future, I wish that I could relive my teenage years, please show myself this post.

Pandora, if I may elaborate on NRITH's point, and if you'll excuse this aging fogie's two cents, the point circles back to the balance issue. It may seem to you like the ultimate test, but it's clearly nothing even close. You're going to New York and you can see Morrissey while you're there. The more you see Morrissey or hang out in line, the less you'll see of New York and the less you'll be experiencing other things and hanging out with other people. You just have to make a choice and go with it.

NRITH, if I speak the same dialect of "old guy" that he does, is pointing out that many teens see things in dramatic terms like you are stating them, which with the benefit of time seem pretty silly. Really, you have a great opportunity on top of another great opportunity, and the two overlap so you have to make a decision, which can be 100% on way or the other, or it can be 50-50%, or anywhere else along the spectrum. You don't have to "break up" with Morrissey to see New York. Based on my own experience, you could see NY, show up during Kristeen Young's set one night and still be in handshake reach of the guy with a little effort. Particularly if you wear that dress.

If you want to talk about "ultimate tests," look around this board at the real life things some people here are going through. Those are real tests. You just have a luxury of choices right now, and I'm generally happy for you and somewhat jealous. Enjoy whatever decision you make and don't look back. Just remember you won't always have options like this.

as a fellow 18 y/o you have totally classified me as an addict..but mine is to johnny and modest mouse.. i say take what you can get while you have the opportunity..hence why by december i'll have seen modest mouse 8 times in 4 months in 5 different states across the midwest and east coast..and ive also been to nyc 3 times in the last 2 years..so i'll tell you..there is alot to see but you can totally do both things if you decide you want to.. id just hate to see you regret your decision later in life :o

I think a part of the school trip, wouldn’t allow you to go to a concert anyway.

None of us as fans really know this person who calls his self by his surname only. You say you are in love with him, but you’re in love with a public persona and his art & music designed to make and sell records. His words are guidance to the majority of his fans. But at the end of the day, he will always just be a face on a cd cover or a poster on a wall. One day, you will love someone for real and have other life experiences and look back at your teenage years and your love for Morrissey with a smile on your face and might be slightly embarrassed by it as well.

You’re a bright, intelligent individual & you have a great future ahead of you.

Alcoholic Afternoons said what I was going to say, only probably more respectfully. You can have both. Do you want me to tell you my sad old lady story about not seeing Nirvana??? Do you?? Kurt died, Pandora. I never saw him. :mad:

Alcoholic Afternoons said what I was going to say, only probably more respectfully. You can have both. Do you want me to tell you my sad old lady story about not seeing Nirvana??? Do you?? Kurt died, Pandora. I never saw him. :mad:

Morrissey isn't going to die. :(

I also regret missing Nirvana and Jeff Buckley.
Sometimes we have to accept things which are beyond our control.
I really thank god that he didn't take away Edwyn Collins from us.

Pandra, you're very brave and intelligent girl and you'll have another chance to see Morrissey when the new album is out sometime in 2009.
Enjoy staying in New York. :)

Back
Top Bottom