You should have been nice to me
It wouldn't cost you money
And on the moments
When I fell down
Not for you to say 'oh I told you so'
You could have waited
You could have waited
You could have waited

Who do you think Morrissey is talking about in this song?

Johnny Marr.

i adore this song..so beautiful and sad at the same time..prefer to listen to it with headphones..his audible breathing and sighs throughout the song..hmmmmmm....a very touching song

Last edited:
I think he probably spat the lyrics out in about five minutes. I don't think they're about anything or anyone, they're just default 'woe is me' lyrics.

As you can tell I'm not a huge fan of this song. The guitar figure is the same as 'Stay' by those one hit wonders 'Nine Stories'

I much prefer Honey You Know Where To Find Me although as an example of someone singing when they can't be bothered to, there's no finer.

Fantastic Bird is growing on me. The scraping guitar at the start is pretty much the same as the one on Death Of A Disco Dancer. They're both on my MP3 player & when it's on random, it's fun to find out which song it's going to be.

I think he probably spat the lyrics out in about five minutes. I don't think they're about anything or anyone, they're just default 'woe is me' lyrics.

I agree. I never got the impression it was about Marr at all. Sometimes I think fans like putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. I'm not really a big fan of the song, either. I feel like the vocals are kind of lackluster? I didn't really feel any emotion in them, he almost sounds bored. But who knows, maybe I just need to listen to it more. A lot of Morrissey songs tend to grow on me.

Given the time this was written - we know that morrissey and Johnny had met up and drove around with 'not a lot to say to each other' and Moreissey had certainly been badly treated in the mainstream uk press. I think this is Moreissey saying to Johnny 'you know I loved you, just one public word in my defense, sticking up for me and thats all would have been nice'.

I think it's a ' you couldn't do that for me well f*** you' song.

When I said Johnny, I was being sarcastic.

OMG THANK YOU!!!

Johnny Marr this and Johnny Marr that. Give it a rest.

No problem. I think the following description pretty much sums it up.

I agree. Nobody's suggested it's about Oscar Wilde yet.

Well. Unfortunatley I think that out of all of Morrisseys songs this one is deffo about a former guitarist in the smiths.

Maybe you should start a thread. Songs that are about a person without the initials JM.

I'm sure there are people in Morrissey's life who have meant/mean more to him than Johnny Marr. The only song anyone can reasonably argue is about Marr is Southpaw. Anything else is just uniformed speculation.

"Morrissey references someone else other than himself in a song? Must be Johnny Marr!"

Naive.

Tags
blue jag?
Back
Top Bottom