10 best post-Smiths Johnny Marr songs

Maurice E

Lots of JM talk recently which has got me thinking about his post-Smiths stuff. I've only really heard a few bits and pieces. A handful of Kirsty McColl songs, a few Electronic singles, the new Cribs single.
I wondered what people who've been following his songs more closely would consider to be his best work, so I'd be v interested in any top 10 lists.
Were there some great songs in the Healers? Was his Modest Mouse/Cribs stuff better? Or is most of his decent post-Smiths stuff on the Electronic albums?
Any top 10's appreciated...

Re: 10 best Johnny Marr songs, post-Smiths

In no order:

"Nothing But Flowers" Talking Heads
"The (Beat)en Generation" The The
"Dashboard" Modest Mouse
"Make It Happen" Electronic
"For You" Electronic
"Get The Message" Electronic
"Some Distant Memory" Electronic
"Idiot Country" Electronic
"Gangster" Electronic
"Disappointed" Electronic

Difficult to call these "Johnny Marr" songs, of course. Some of what I like in the songs above were probably the work of one of his collaborators.

I don't think the Healers are any good at all, I'm sorry to say. Electronic is underrated.

I haven't heard much of it either, but I was a fan of the Healers' disc.

These are my two favorite songs from it:

The lyrics leave a little something to be desired for, but the music and Johnny's voice are very exceptional.

I haven't listened to the MM stuff, but people seemed to like that more than the Healers. I'm campaigning for a second Healers' album. Johnny's said he'd like to write another album of lyrics.

Last edited by a moderator:

I really like the windows of the world he did eith the pretenders and what he did on the oasis album heathen chemestry

Electronic is underrated.

Yes, especially the first album is really, really good.
Also The The's Dusk is exceptional, but then he didn't write those songs, ' merely' played on them, didn't he?

Top 10 would be something like:

The Patience of a Saint - Electronic
Lowdown - Electrafixion
Get the Message - Electronic
Miyako Hideaway - Marion
Sexuality - Billy Bragg
Gravitate To Me - The The
The Beat(en) Generation - The The (again not written by Marr, I think)
The Right Stuff - Bryan Ferry
The Boy Done Good - Billy Bragg
Concrete Sky - Beth Orton
Walking Down Madison - Kirsty MacColl

Also The The's Dusk is exceptional, but then he didn't write those songs, ' merely' played on them, didn't he?

I've never been sure. I think Matt wrote the songs but Johnny was an important contributor, so a co-writer in all but name.

Sexuality - Billy Bragg

Oh, nice one. I forgot about "Sexuality". :guitar:

I look like Robert De Niro/I drive a Mistubishi Zero

In no order:

"Nothing But Flowers" Talking Heads
"The (Beat)en Generation" The The
"Dashboard" Modest Mouse
"Make It Happen" Electronic
"For You" Electronic
"Get The Message" Electronic
"Some Distant Memory" Electronic
"Idiot Country" Electronic
"Gangster" Electronic
"Disappointed" Electronic

Difficult to call these "Johnny Marr" songs, of course. Some of what I like in the songs above were probably the work of one of his collaborators.

I don't think the Healers are any good at all, I'm sorry to say. Electronic is underrated.

I don't even know if I can name 10. I have the Electronic debut album but I don't know all the songs on it.

Nothing But Flowers
Disappointed
Tighten Up
Free Will (Get the Message b-side)
Slow Emotion Replay
The Beat(en) Generation

That's pretty much it.

The only song I can say I really think of as a JM song is Nothing But Flowers.

Nice thread!

Has anyone mentioned Getting Away With It by Electronic. Neil Tennant even said he wrote the lyrics in a Morrissey-style... some say as an intentional parody of Morrissey with Sumner.

I also remember The End of a Perfect Day with Kirsty MacCall as being a very nice, very Smithsy track.

Maurice thanks you for making his point. :swear:

I did listen to the modest mouse album.. I gave it a good 3 or 4 full listens and then promptly deleted it.

I listened to a couple Healers songs but they were dreadful.

The stuff from the Electronic debut album sounds so dated now.

His work with The The is good but I never feel like "That's Johnny right there!" when listening so I'm not sure to credit him or Johnson.

I did listen to the modest mouse album.. I gave it a good 3 or 4 full listens and then promptly deleted it.

I listened to a couple Healers songs but they were dreadful.

The stuff from the Electronic debut album sounds so dated now.

His work with The The is good but I never feel like "That's Johnny right there!" when listening so I'm not sure to credit him or Johnson.

:squiffy:

Er, uh...there's still "The Right Stuff", that's always been a good one...

'Down on the Corner' is really a great song. Probably the only good Healers' song. Quality vs quantity I guess.
'Getting Away With It', my favorite Electronic song.
Almost forgot! 'Walking Down Madison' with Kirsty MacColl.

I'm still hopeful for some new Healers stuff as I think his music will still stand out more than it has with recent songs with MM and the Cribs.

'Down on the Corner' is really a great song. Probably the only good Healers' song. Quality vs quantity I guess.
'Getting Away With It', my favorite Electronic song.
Almost forgot! 'Walking Down Madison' with Kirsty MacColl.

I'm still hopeful for some new Healers stuff as I think his music will still stand out more than it has with recent songs with MM and the Cribs.

There used to be a demo for Walking Down Madison on this site, no vocals, just Johnny's music. Shall I dig it out?

Peter

Maurice thanks you for making his point. :swear:

err, meaning what exactly?!

I love a few bits and pieces that Marr's done. 'Getting Away With It' and 'For You' are wonderful songs.
Also like a lot of the songs on the Kirsty McColl album that he co-wrote plus Walking Down Madison.
Sexuality by Bragg ain't bad even if the guitar line is only a slight variation on TIALTNGO.
But I haven't heard 80% of what he's done post-Smiths so just wondering what the stuff's like that I've missed out on...

Nothing But Flowers - Talking Heads
Get The Message - Electronic
Forbidden City - Electronic
Sexuality - Billy Bragg
Greetings To The New Brunette - Billy Bragg
The Beat(en) Generation - The The
Slow Emotion Replay - The The
Bluer Than Midnight - The The
This Is The Night - The The
Lonely Planet - The The
("Dusk" by The The is my favourite album of all time.)

interesting how few people are mentioning any Healers songs.
as (effectively) Marr's first solo project, you wouldda thought he'd make a special effort.
I think he's co-written quite a few Pet Shop Boys songs too (possibly including a single from this year).
anyone know if these are any good?
also no-one's mentioning his Cribs stuff perhaps because hardly anyone's heard the new album?

Last edited:

I downloaded The Cribs' new singles and they're very good. Nothing spectacular, but sparkling and listenable. As with Modest Mouse it's difficult to tell what Marr's contributions are, exactly. There's a richly layered, melodic guitar sound which sounds pretty Marr-ish, and yet it's a bit more punk(ish)-inflected than The Smiths ever were.

Actually, my overriding impression of the songs was that they were in the same family of power-pop/punk-lite compositions in which Morrissey's been dabbling the last three albums. You could almost conclude they've arrived at the same place. Odd.

Yes, I always felt that could have almost been a Smiths track...

True, but if so it would be the most forgettable Smiths track ever. :)

Back
Top Bottom