Alt. Version of Sweet Pie

• Thread starter Deleted member 6305
  • Start date
Oh, so Mikey ruined this song. I was wondering why the released version was such an atrocity.

Never was a fan of Mikey's. I bumped into him while working at the Guitar Center in Hollywood, and he was a super douche. Nose in the air, he stepped up to the counter and within five minutes looked annoyed at the salesperson and said "Well, *I'm* the keyboardist for Morrissey, so I don't pay the same prices as everyone else", or something along those lines. I remember his tone of arrogance and entitlement more than anything. I was working Operations and was running around, so I only heard little snippets of the conversation. But he was clearly being a jerk to the sales force. And don't bother defending him by saying it was probably the sales person, because the guy he was talking to was the nicest guy in the world, who was really good with people. Usually, however, you'd be right; the sales team at any GC is normally full of morally demoted used car salesmen.

By contrast I've met Gary, who was extremely polite and warm, and I've met Boz on two occasions; both times he was incredibly friendly, and even remembered me the second time (he remembered more about our previous conversation that I did, even though a year had passed).

To get back on topic (sorry about that) THANK YOU for this version. I actually really enjoy this song now, and can see the beauty in it, instead of seeing it as some experiment with loops gone wrong. :thumb:

Oh, so Mikey ruined this song. I was wondering why the released version was such an atrocity.

Never was a fan of Mikey's. I bumped into him while working at the Guitar Center in Hollywood, and he was a super douche. Nose in the air, he stepped up to the counter and within five minutes looked annoyed at the salesperson and said "Well, *I'm* the keyboardist for Morrissey, so I don't pay the same prices as everyone else", or something along those lines. I remember his tone of arrogance and entitlement more than anything. I was working Operations and was running around, so I only heard little snippets of the conversation. But he was clearly being a jerk to the sales force. And don't bother defending him by saying it was probably the sales person, because the guy he was talking to was the nicest guy in the world, who was really good with people. Usually, however, you'd be right; the sales team at any GC is normally full of morally demoted used car salesmen.

By contrast I've met Gary, who was extremely polite and warm, and I've met Boz on two occasions; both times he was incredibly friendly, and even remembered me the second time (he remembered more about our previous conversation that I did, even though a year had passed).

To get back on topic (sorry about that) THANK YOU for this version. I actually really enjoy this song now, and can see the beauty in it, instead of seeing it as some experiment with loops gone wrong. :thumb:

If you are saying what I think you are saying, that you like this new version better than the released version, then you have Mikey to thank for saving this song. This is his version.

And thanks much to all who've made it available!

wow. thanks for this. after reading the initial reviews for Sweetie Pie, i dreaded it as "the worst b-side of his career"( a radio signal picking up two different stations was my initial impression) so i ended up liking it a great deal more than most. But this version is far superior.

Thx for that it was great to hear it but I still prefer the original and I like Kristeen unlike most of the people who denegrate her on this site. :D

I actually agree with you on Kristeen especially on the initial version. That being said I do prefer the instrumental and the vocal take on this version

Amazing! Thanks a heap!

wow. this version is easily up there with the studio version of jack the ripper.

It's uncanny how much I prefer this version. Thank you.

I like both versions! Thank you. :)

I think he has a little trouble with the high notes. His voice ceases to be fantastic when really high, imo. It gets thin and changes from dark blue to a brittle light blue.

Original is far better; It's one of my top 10 all time songs. This alt version is good too, but the singing is pretty off I must say...

Wrong. Tony Visconti himself pointed out that the released version was nothing like the original because Morrissey had been in and played around with the song, in much the same way as Golden Lights. The tinkering was nothing to do with Mikey.

Peter

Hot damn, this sounds fantastic!

There is the demo instrumental of Children In Pieces, and Get Back To The Ghetto (Ganglord demo)...

Thanks. Much, much better, despite the wobbly vocals.

I never liked the original - it sounded exactly like what it was: a beautiful vocal melody ripped from a decent backing track. I appreciate his attempt at abstract noise, but his vocals just don't suit that style at all.

Back
Top Bottom