"Autobiography" by Morrissey – #1 for the third week in the UK paperback non-fiction chart

Truly glad chart-obsessed Morrissey has a #1 out there -- and honestly, one that the general public will hear about much more than an album or single.
The haters hate this, which I love.

It just gets worse and worse for Morrissey. This book is such a critical and commercial disaster. His career is over and Penguin lies smouldering in ruins.

more sobering anorakisms from barleyborn.
never one to miss an opportunity to sneer.

Well if you'd read what I have said about it since publication you'd know I have said it is a great book, but, hey, we've moved effortlessly from Morrissey as the singer who doesn't sing to (apparently) the world's greatest author.

He could shit in a bag and you'd put it on your mantlepiece. Your critical faculties are non-existant.

Hope AA Gill never branches into publishing, he obviously can't see a bestseller staring him in the face! Hope Moz makes loads of dosh from the sales!!! Yeeehaaaaa:love:

AA Gill once shot and killed a monkey, purely to feel the closest he could to taking a human life. He described in gut churning detail the moment the bullet took the animal's life with an almost gleeful relish.

That's the kind of prick AA Gill is!

It just gets worse and worse for Morrissey. This book is such a critical and commercial disaster. His career is over and Penguin lies smouldering in ruins.

Morrissey has produced five songs in nigh on six years. Five rotten songs, at that. He's supposed to be a singer/songwriter by trade, unless you know different. Has he retired from music? Is he now an author?

AA Gill once shot and killed a monkey, purely to feel the closest he could to taking a human life. He described in gut churning detail the moment the bullet took the animal's life with an almost gleeful relish.

Just because his opinion differs from yours it doesn't mean he's wrong, but yet again here we see what is most likely a product of a modern education system. Any contrary view is not argued against and defeated by logic. It is shouted down.

Many public figures do disgusting things, and Gill is an appalling creature, but as I pointed out to Quentins Girl, reviewers are not in the business of predicting sales, they are in the business of reviewing. Perhaps one of the things that upset her and others about Gill's review was that it was sharply written and rather accurate.

As we know to certain members here this isn't about whether any work Morrissey produces is good, bad or indifferent, it is about whether it is brilliant, sensational or transcendent. As I've mentioned before the really disturbing aspect of the modern Morrissey fan is their unquestioning idiocy. Useful idiots to a man like Morrissey, trawling his past to stay relevant.

Morrissey needs a good new album. All else is merely flimflam and a sideshow.

Just because his opinion differs from yours it doesn't mean he's wrong, but yet again here we see what is most likely a product of a modern education system. Any contrary view is not argued against and defeated by logic. It is shouted down.

As I've mentioned before the really disturbing aspect of the modern Morrissey fan is their unquestioning idiocy. Useful idiots to a man like Morrissey, trawling his past to stay relevant.

I didn't actually say he WAS wrong. I was merely pointing out what a vile specimen he was.

And as for being a product of 'a modern education system', I left school in 1983, the same year I discovered The Smiths, which therefore hardly classifies me as 'a modern Morrissey fan' if indeeed you are using the term to tar newcomers.

Gill is an appalling creature says JB not Keen on Moz, that is enough for me to respect JBs opinions/views, posts, unlike that other one Bum boy, whatever his name is, who is too biased to be taken seriously IMO.

"AA Gill once shot and killed a monkey, purely to feel the closest he could to taking a human life. He described in gut churning detail the moment the bullet took the animal's life with an almost gleeful relish.
That's the kind of prick AA Gill is" made me swoon with admiration, so very true, if all posts were like this one and based on truth this site would be so much nicer to visit. If I did not have so many personal disasters to deal with at present would love to visit here more often and debate the beauty of Moz and his musings. Love to all. :love:

Morrissey has produced five songs in nigh on six years. Five rotten songs, at that. He's supposed to be a singer/songwriter by trade, unless you know different. Has he retired from music? Is he now an author?

Well, both he and Boz have said there are many more songs in the bank, though I can't recall the exact number. The point is the book hasn't sunk his career or destroyed Penguin as some here (not you, I don't think) vehemently claimed it would. It's a glimmer of light at the end of a very long tunnel, admittedly. But, who knows, it may yet trigger a late-career upward trajectory. Anyway, I'm pleased that his book is doing well. That's all.

It was a Baboon, same unacceptable difference I know. He also slated a 'dyke on a bike' once, as he so crassly put it! You are spot on with your observations. Off back to reality, hateful Moz site!

Well, both he and Boz have said there are many more songs in the bank, though I can't recall the exact number. The point is the book hasn't sunk his career or destroyed Penguin as some here (not you, I don't think) vehemently claimed it would. It's a glimmer of light at the end of a very long tunnel, admittedly. But, who knows, it may yet trigger a late-career upward trajectory. Anyway, I'm pleased that his book is doing well. That's all.

Didnt you post today that the book was "disaster"? Now your glad its "doing well" Make up your mind.

Gill is an appalling creature says JB not Keen on Moz, that is enough for me to respect JBs opinions/views, posts, unlike that other one Bum boy, whatever his name is, who is too biased to be taken seriously IMO.

"AA Gill once shot and killed a monkey, purely to feel the closest he could to taking a human life. He described in gut churning detail the moment the bullet took the animal's life with an almost gleeful relish.
That's the kind of prick AA Gill is" made me swoon with admiration, so very true, if all posts were like this one and based on truth this site would be so much nicer to visit. If I did not have so many personal disasters to deal with at present would love to visit here more often and debate the beauty of Moz and his musings. Love to all. :love:

Thanks.

I agree that sometimes this place can be overly vile and negative at times(you should have seen the carnage around 2005-6 when DavidT had to take down the Guestbook because of the comments that were being left), that's why I don't use the site as much as I used to. But I suppose that's part of the deal in following someone like Moz.
Plus I actually agree with some of Johnny B's opinions, especially regarding blind sycophancy.
You just have don a thick skin and stick to your guns(perhaps a misused term in regards to the subject matter).

Take care.

Thanks.

I agree that sometimes this place can be overly vile and negative at times(you should have seen the carnage around 2005-6 when DavidT had to take down the Guestbook because of the comments that were being left), that's why I don't use the site as much as I used to. But I suppose that's part of the deal in following someone like Moz.
Plus I actually agree with some of Johnny B's opinions, especially regarding blind sycophancy.
You just have don a thick skin and stick to your guns(perhaps a misused term in regards to the subject matter).

Take care.
Thanks for answering, takes good men to do nothing for bad to flourish (not the exact quote) too busy to look it up!! Will never get why people spend time hating on a keyboard when so many good causes could do with that energy to make a difference! Any friend of Moz is a friend of mine ha ha. Much Love, back to dealing with true problems eeek XX:love:

Many public figures do disgusting things, and Gill is an appalling creature, but as I pointed out to Quentins Girl, reviewers are not in the business of predicting sales, they are in the business of reviewing. Perhaps one of the things that upset her and others about Gill's review was that it was sharply written and rather accurate.

As we know to certain members here this isn't about whether any work Morrissey produces is good, bad or indifferent, it is about whether it is brilliant, sensational or transcendent. As I've mentioned before the really disturbing aspect of the modern Morrissey fan is their unquestioning idiocy. Useful idiots to a man like Morrissey, trawling his past to stay relevant.

Morrissey needs a good new album. All else is merely flimflam and a sideshow.

Agree with most of what you said. But...

Yesterday I was listening to TQID in the car. I Know It's Over came on. Even though I have heard this song countless times before, it affected me profoundly. I got goosebumps. And thought, no one can top this. This is perfection. No one even comes close. The lyrics, the vocals... and of course, the music (Johnny :sweet:). Blown away.

If we can see this song as timeless, then Moz has no expiration date. My grandchild(ren) will hopefully be moved to tears in the same way that we--current listeners--are.

So, he has some personality flaws and his moral compass could use a tweaking. None of us would look much better if viewed under a microscope.

His book is excellent. A little snarky--which makes it a great read. Some might take offense. I laughed at most of his acid tongue characterizations and take downs. Most autobiographies are misleading--misnomers. They are ghost written. Moz wrote his book HIMSELF. And without the use of an editor. Gotta love his chutzpah.

Last edited:
Agree with most of what you said. But...

Yesterday I was listening to TQID in the car. I Know It's Over came on. Even though I have heard this song countless times before, it affected me profoundly. I got goosebumps. And thought, no one can top this. This is perfection. No one even comes close. The lyrics, the vocals... and of course, the music (Johnny :sweet:). Blown away.

If we can see this song as timeless, then Moz has no expiration date. My grandchild(ren) will hopefully be moved to tears in the same way that we--current listeners--are.

So, he has some personality flaws and his moral compass could use a tweaking. None of us would look much better if viewed under a microscope.

His book is excellent. A little snarky--which makes it a great read. Some might take offense. I laughed at most of his acid tongue characterizations and take downs. Most autobiographies are misleading--misnomers. They are ghost written. Moz wrote his book HIMSELF. And without the use of an editor. Gotta love his chutzpah.

You'll get no argument from me on any of that. The thing is when you have a unique talent you need more while you can get it, and frankly he has underachieved on the musical front for a decade. The fact he is so capable of great work makes me want more. I might have another six World Cups in me, while Morrissey might have four. Time marches on.

Bowie's new album, which is not the unmitigated triumph many believe, in my opinion, was still very nice to hear and provided in "Where Are We Now", one of the loveliest songs of his career. Morrissey can still produce great songs. That should now be his priority.

The book should bring him in enough to get back in the studio - hopefully without Tobias - and give us a swansong we know he is capable of.

You'll get no argument from me on any of that. The thing is when you have a unique talent you need more while you can get it, and frankly he has underachieved on the musical front for a decade. The fact he is so capable of great work makes me want more. I might have another six World Cups in me, while Morrissey might have four. Time marches on.

Bowie's new album, which is not the unmitigated triumph many believe, in my opinion, was still very nice to hear and provided in "Where Are We Now", one of the loveliest songs of his career. Morrissey can still produce great songs. That should now be his priority.

The book should bring him in enough to get back in the studio - hopefully without Tobias - and give us a swansong we know he is capable of.

I hope so. :)

Back
Top Bottom