Morrissey Central "AWAY THEY ALL GO" (January 20, 2024)

full

MARY WEISS (right), RIP

full

Last edited by a moderator:
i like bryan but ryan much more and his song is beautiful sorta. when i say luv you better believe i mean l-u-v, gimmie a beer is the opening line. given his love of 80s hardcore i always thought the gimme part was from darby crash's gimmie gimmie this and that from song and stage banter but it looks like someone posted the dolls whom im sorta familiar with so it could be from that maybe as well

Mary sure had a bizarre - and frustratingly brief - career. The 2nd and final Shangri-Las album came out when she was still only 16 years old, then nothing until a single solo album in 2007. Yikes. :squiffy:

Mary sure had a bizarre - and frustratingly brief - career. The 2nd and final Shangri-Las album came out when she was still only 16 years old, then nothing until a single solo album in 2007. Yikes. :squiffy:

It seems that the Shangri-Las were a manufactured pop group, not writing their own songs or playing instruments, but with enough personality from their tough Queens upbringing to carry it off. They seem to have made little money, despite selling millions of records. Three of the group tried to make a new go of it in the 1970s with Seymour Stein (who later worked with Morrissey) after one of the twins died of a drug overdose, but wanting to be more like Patti Smith that the current disco fashion put them at odds with Sire records and it didn't work out.

Back
Top Bottom