Do you think Morrissey likes Life on Mars?

Ah, is it going to be set in ’81, shame that! I was hoping I may actually be able to remember some of the eighties references too but that’s too early for me. And yeah, Manchester was a big part of the charm of that show, although I wonder if they had difficulty finding locations to shoot that have remained untouched since the 70’s, it’s all so new there now. So long as they keep the same script writers I guess it will be pretty good, some of the one liners were just genius, had me laughing away!

Yep. There were at least 3 side-scracking one-liners from every episode of LOM.

"You look as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot" :p

Mars explains Moz's odd behavior. Not much oxygen out there.

hey, Lost, who is that in your Avatar?

Hey Suzanne.....It's Billy Liar and the love of his life Elizabeth......classic...:)

I like to think Morrissey would have enjoyed Life on Mars, I loved it!!!!!Gene Hunt made me laugh so much!

"Life On Mars" was one of the best pieces of television I've ever seen. Every episode was f***ing gold. Witty, well-written script, imaginative plot ideas and good actors. Gene Hunt has to be the greatest anti-hero ever IMO :p . If Mozzer didn't like it... "such a gap in your cultural knowledge" :D I'm sure he liked it. Witty, very British, set in Manchester for God's sake.. how could he not? ;)

I thought Moz fans must have too much good taste not to have watched this programme; I've sat through so much fantastic tv in my 24 years on this planet, yet nothing moved me, excited me, or made me care so much about it's characters as Life On Mars; put quite simply, it was astounding. I've always loved both John Simm and Philip Glennister as actors, so to see them as a double act (and what a double act) was tv heaven. For anyone who hasn't seen it, think Quantum Leap meets the Sweeney.
There's going to be an American remake; at first I groaned about this (why do US networks remake rather than export our TV?) but thinking on, I suppose the US police force and society in the 70's was so different to that in Britain, that it's not really a programme which can be simply exported. However, I'm still very down on the rumour that Tom Cruise has expressed an interest in playing Sam Tyler ... please god get someone, anyone else.
Anyways, for a nostalgic, northern Brit, the humour and cultural reference points of the original cannot be topped (and I wasn't even around in the 70's). My dad's friend is a copper and he said (as unbeleivable as some of the scenario's seemed) the show was like watching a documentary for him ... he knew loads of coppers like Gene Hunt when starting out in the force.
I did think of Moz having watched it, and I'm sure if he did, being a conoisseur of good fiction, he'd have loved every minute.

Ah, is it going to be set in ’81, shame that! I was hoping I may actually be able to remember some of the eighties references too but that’s too early for me. And yeah, Manchester was a big part of the charm of that show, although I wonder if they had difficulty finding locations to shoot that have remained untouched since the 70’s, it’s all so new there now. So long as they keep the same script writers I guess it will be pretty good, some of the one liners were just genius, had me laughing away!

BBC Wales made the show and I don't think much of it was done in Manchester.
Manchester looked really futuristic when Sam Tyler went back to 2007.

I think he's a bigger fan of Space Oddity and Rock 'n' Roll Suicide, especially the later.

Back
Top Bottom