Does Morrissey have black friends?

Who cares, there is no law stating Morrissey has to befriend a Black person or Black people have to like Morrissey, must race come into everything? It's not important, therefore shouldn't be treated as such. Next someone will want ethnic quota's for music fanbases like they have in the police. :rolleyes:

Calm down, MozzaBedfordSpur is a relatively new member and only curious that anyone thought about the subject before (in fact there's a thread about this in 2000).

Just some people started talking about racism. :o

I am calm, I just don’t see why this subject is even a hot topic, and it has no relevance to anything and bears no meaning. If Black people don’t like Morrissey they don’t like Morrissey, I don’t care and I am not sure Morrissey or many other Morrissey fans care either.

i think it's interesting that the original post merely asked whether moz has any black friends, and everyone starts talking about racism.

i have no idea who morrissey hangs out with, to be honest. but i do know he admires certain black people. for example he mentioned in a post on TTY that he had run into author james baldwin in a hotel-lobby or something, shortly before his death, and not had the guts to talk to him.

I saw a few black people at the gigs last year. Not many, but a few. Anyway, utterly pointless thread.

I'm surprised that you really have nothing else to think about. Things usually aren't racial until people make them. And you have now made it. Congratulations! Have a pleasant evening!

I even can't remember seeing a black fan on the concerts. I never noticed it.

I saw a nice African-American fellow at the Chicago show, he yelled "Morrissey" a few times and then Mozzer finally looked and said "What?". The guy seemed stunned for a moment then said I think "I love you!". I considered yelling too, but I was too shy. :o :p

I'm surprised that you really have nothing else to think about. Things usually aren't racial until people make them. And you have now made it. Congratulations! Have a pleasant evening!

i don't know why people are getting so upset. i myself have wondered whether morrissey has a large african american following, considering that i've never met a black smiths/morrissey fan. it's just an observation of the following, and it does not have to be offensive or "racist" to ask.

I used to be a Hacienda regular back in the old days, and there was a story that when Morrissey and the rest of The Smiths used to visit, he once took a shine to a very attractive black girl. When the NME did the "Is Morrissey a Racist?" issue, the next week a letter appeared defending Moz. It referred to the girl at the Hacienda, all them years earlier.

Shock, Horror!! A Girl.

Wasn't Morrissey friendly with the Libertines to the point that he got Gary to drum for the Dolls a couple times?

I'm not sure about him being "friendly" with them. They once supported him. You are right about drumming for the New York Dolls.

David MacAlmont supported Morrissey, at the Drury Lane Theatre. Just the once I think?

i don't know why people are getting so upset. i myself have wondered whether morrissey has a large african american following, considering that i've never met a black smiths/morrissey fan. it's just an observation of the following, and it does not have to be offensive or "racist" to ask.

Some of us are sick of race being used in everything.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, this was not mean't as a racial thread, it was just to see if Morrissey had inflluences from the black culture, and if he had any black friends? Obviously, this thread has become an incumbment of bad feeling, which I appologise for.

Us Mozza's must stick together !!

Back
Top Bottom