4. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
5. St.Vincent - Actor
6. DM Stith - Heavy Ghost
7. Handsome Furs - Face Control
8. Loney,Dear - Dear John
9. Various artists - Dark was the Night
10. The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love

1. Thåström - Kärlek är för dom

- One of the two best artists/musicmakers in the history of music made what could very well be the best album of his 30 year old career. Beauty and disturbance in perfect harmony.
Best track: Kort biografi med litet testamente

2. Mount Eerie - Wind's Poem

- The most original songwriter of his generation (MY generation!)? I'd think twice before defying that. And this album is just further proof. Existential angst set to gorgeous music in a huge and desolate forest.
Best track: Through the Trees

3. Kent - Röd

- One of the most important bands in my musical upbringing followed 2007's pretty uneven (yet still underrated) Tillbaka Till Samtiden with this. A cold, despairing yet angry AND loving album with nothing but strong tracks and some of Jocke Berg's best lyrics of all time.
Best track: SpelaSvarta linjer

4. The Mary Onettes - Islands

- Probably the best young band in Sweden released their most accomplished album this fall. This is pure beauty, melancholy and atmosphere.
Best track: God Knows I Had Plans

5. a-ha - Foot Of The Mountain

- The most underrated band of all time? Well, probably in the top 5 at least. Their first in four years and the best one they've made since 1986. It also turned out to be their last. They announced their split earlier this fall. A great shame, I must say.
Oh, and they brought back the synthesizers!
Best track: : SpelaShadowside

6. Morrissey - Years of Refusal

- Far from his best stuff, but still better than most bands albums, simply because it is Morrissey. The timeless, brilliant and magical Morrissey. The most important musical force in my entire life, alongside Thåström.
And if this album is flawed in any way, it's his co-writers that should be held responsible (all but the great Alain Whyte, of course). Because Mozzer delivers great lyrics and some superb vocal melodies. As always. But the music may lack a bit...
Best track: A tie between SpelaWhen Last I Spoke to Carol and SpelaYou Were Good in Your Time

7. Richard Hawley - True Love's Gutter

- A bit of a premature entry, but I can't help it. I fell in love at first listen. Had I been listening for a longer time it would've been much higher I reckon.

Best track: Ashes On The Fire

8. Maria Taylor - LadyLuck

- A career best for this angelic voice. Fine lyrics about heartbreak and moving on steeped in a beautiful american folk guitar sound.
Best track: SpelaBroad Daylight

9. The Leisure Society - The Sleeper

- Another premature entry, but yet again it was love at first listen. Quite english, very beautiful, very melancholic. AND with good lyrics. I'm shocked beyond comprehension that a debuting band can make music like this, in this awful day and age.
Best track: The Last Of The Melting Snow

10. Bat for Lashes - Two Suns

- Kate Bush for this era. The female Patrick Wolf. Worn-out clichés perhaps, but very true. But what is more relevant and true is the fact that Bat for lashes actually makes great music. Interesting music. And the fact that she invited none other than the great Scott Walker to sing with her on the closing track only shows that she is someone to be counted on.
Best track: Daniel

- One of the two best artists/musicmakers in the history of music made what could very well be the best album of his 30 year old career. Beauty and disturbance in perfect harmony.

2. Mount Eerie - Wind's Poem

- The most original songwriter of his generation (MY generation!)? I'd think twice before defying that. And this album is just further proof. Existential angst set to gorgeous music in a huge and desolate forest.
Best track: Through the Trees

3. Kent - Röd

- One of the most important bands in my musical upbringing followed 2007's pretty uneven (yet still underrated) Tillbaka Till Samtiden with this. A cold, despairing yet angry AND loving album with nothing but strong tracks and some of Jocke Berg's best lyrics of all time.
Best track: SpelaSvarta linjer

4. The Mary Onettes - Islands

- Probably the best young band in Sweden released their most accomplished album this fall. This is pure beauty, melancholy and atmosphere.
Best track: God Knows I Had Plans

5. a-ha - Foot Of The Mountain

- The most underrated band of all time? Well, probably in the top 5 at least. Their first in four years and the best one they've made since 1986. It also turned out to be their last. They announced their split earlier this fall. A great shame, I must say.
Oh, and they brought back the synthesizers!
Best track: : SpelaShadowside

6. Morrissey - Years of Refusal

- Far from his best stuff, but still better than most bands albums, simply because it is Morrissey. The timeless, brilliant and magical Morrissey. The most important musical force in my entire life, alongside Thåström.
And if this album is flawed in any way, it's his co-writers that should be held responsible (all but the great Alain Whyte, of course). Because Mozzer delivers great lyrics and some superb vocal melodies. As always. But the music may lack a bit...
Best track: A tie between SpelaWhen Last I Spoke to Carol and SpelaYou Were Good in Your Time

7. Richard Hawley - True Love's Gutter

- A bit of a premature entry, but I can't help it. I fell in love at first listen. Had I been listening for a longer time it would've been much higher I reckon.

Best track: Ashes On The Fire

8. Maria Taylor - LadyLuck

- A career best for this angelic voice. Fine lyrics about heartbreak and moving on steeped in a beautiful american folk guitar sound.
Best track: SpelaBroad Daylight

9. The Leisure Society - The Sleeper

- Another premature entry, but yet again it was love at first listen. Quite english, very beautiful, very melancholic. AND with good lyrics. I'm shocked beyond comprehension that a debuting band can make music like this, in this awful day and age.
Best track: The Last Of The Melting Snow

10. Bat for Lashes - Two Suns

- Kate Bush for this era. The female Patrick Wolf. Worn-out clichés perhaps, but very true. But what is more relevant and true is the fact that Bat for lashes actually makes great music. Interesting music. And the fact that she invited none other than the great Scott Walker to sing with her on the closing track only shows that she is someone to be counted on.
Best track: Daniel

Isn't Mount Eerie wonderful?
I'm going to check out the first one you listed. Thanks.
Just realized Anna Ternheim featured on one of them, love her!

Last edited:

Halfway through this, LOVE IT

Halfway through this, LOVE IT

How pleased I am to read this. No trouble with the language?

And yes, Mount Eerie is genius. Such a brilliant poet.

LOL, don't understand the language at all. But I love the music. One of my favorite bands is Kent I don't understand it either, I think Max500 is one of my top 10 songs.

LOL, don't understand the language at all. But I love the music. One of my favorite bands is Kent I don't understand it either, I think Max500 is one of my top 10 songs.

Oh, really? Haha... Yes, Kent is a wonderful band.

Morrissey- Years of Refusal and, even though it's not a 'proper' album, Swords too

Florence and the Machine- Lungs. I think Florence may be one of the only highly talked-about new artists of this year who lives up to the hype.

Regina Spektor- Far

Maximo Park- Quicken The Heart

Camera Obscura- My Maudlin Career

That's quite an assignment... Best of luck! What is your "mother tongue"?

English. I always loved that song Max 500 by Kent, and I swore I knew most of the lyrics-I felt pretty stupid when I realized the song was not even in English.
I thought the song was about people telling this guy to write in his diary.:crazy:

English. I always loved that song Max 500 by Kent, and I swore I knew most of the lyrics-I felt pretty stupid when I realized the song was not even in English.
I thought the song was about people telling this guy to write in his diary.:crazy:

You thought the lyrics were written in english? haha... How?! :squiffy:

You thought the lyrics were written in english? haha... How?! :squiffy:

I thought it was sung in English. I thought the person singing just had a strong accent.
I thought 'Månen hänger lågt' was 'morning hangover'....also thought "Som magi ett ljus man drunknar i Det finns små trick som får folk att ge dig mer än du är värd said something like 'so marie, here's my dumb diary....takes him for a fall.....and yhea, did i write...'
I thought "Mary Shelleys dröm syr en sick-sacksöm" said Mary ......see her sick sad son" etc, etc, etc.

Guess I have quite an imagination, or something...

I thought it was sung in English. I thought the person singing just had a strong accent.
I thought 'Månen hänger lågt' was 'morning hangover'....also thought "Som magi ett ljus man drunknar i Det finns små trick som får folk att ge dig mer än du är värd said something like 'so marie, here's my dumb diary....takes him for a fall.....and yhea, did i write...'
I thought "Mary Shelleys dröm syr en sick-sacksöm" said Mary ......see her sick sad son" etc, etc, etc.

Guess I have quite an imagination, or something...

Wow, that's quite an "interpretation"... :) One could use that to write a song of ones own. :)

Damn! This is pretty excellent so far, though I don't understand Swedish (not like I haven't listened to music that I haven't understood the vocals of before :p). I have trouble keeping up with new music so these lists I find helpful. I'll check out your other ones too.
Wow. I am quite surprised in the interest shown in swedish music. Especially in someone like Thåström who isn't promoted internationally.
Very glad about it though! :)

Besides YOR of course, my faves have been (in no order)

Crying Light-Antony & The Johnsons (okay, my next fave after Morrissey)
It's Blitz-YYY's
Hospice-The Antlers

that's it really.

Wow, that's quite an "interpretation"... :) One could use that to write a song of ones own. :)

Wow. I am quite surprised in the interest shown in swedish music. Especially in someone like Thåström who isn't promoted internationally.
Very glad about it though! :)

I like lot's of Swedish singers/bands, like Pelle Carlberg, Club 8, Hello Saferide, Billie the Visions & the Dancers, Sambassadeur, Blind Terry, but
my FAVORITES are Bakers at Dawn and The Argument.
I check this blog every day too

http://www.swedesplease.net/

Back
Top Bottom