help?

boy_alone

Hi all.

I'm currently writing a paper for University on the relationship between fans and artist. I've chosen Morrissey as i believe him to have a passionate, loyal fanbase whom he has had a positive influence on.

Would anyone be willing to answer a few questions to help me with my study? The nature of the questions are such as 'Why you are a fan of Morrissey?', 'How has he influenced your life?' etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks virgil tracey that is indeed helpful!

dave.jay are you still free? if so here's a few to begin with.........

Why are you are a fan of Morrissey?

What does he mean to you and how has he affected your life?

Does his style have an influence on yours?

Do you share his views on animal rights? If so is this due to Morrissey?

Barking First.......
"M" gets shampooed as often as she needs.....Rolling in Mud and swimming in Filthy Lakes plays Havoc with her fur and skin....I have to get in the bath as well, to keep her calm, as i have often rolled in mud too....
( ...This could take some time.... I'll have to post this now, to get to read the other questions......- BRB....excuse Editing......DOWN Millie!!! This is about ME, not You!!!

Back now.....

"Bob Martin" anti flea shampoo. ( plus "Front line" drops for all year round protection from the Bitin' bastiches).

Boy Alone :-
I am a Morrissey/Smiths fan PURELY by accident.
( I have explained all this type of stuff on here before, but...seeing as you have asked, I will gladly do it again for ya....).

In 1983/4, I was going out with some friends to a club, and I asked my Dad if he could please VHS Record a "Eurythmics" concert, that was due to be shown on BBC UK TV later that evening. ( I had no idea how to "Set" the Video recorders "Timer", so my Dad used to regularly help out, If I was going out for the night ( R.I.P., and THANK YOU Dad....).
When the Broadcast time came, the announcer said that the scheduled Show had been changed ( Dunno why....), and the BBC showed The Smiths Live Derby Rooms concert instead....My dad Recorded it anyway.......
I got home about 3 am... witha few mates, and Re-wound the tape......we decided to watch/listen to it anyway. ( My mates left when the "Free" alcohol dried up...as is SO often the case....but, I digress...)...

About 3 songs in, I was hooked on this strange Mans lyrics, and am glad it was on Videotape, as I kept re-winding various lyrics and song lines.
That started it all for me...Finally, here was a singer/lyricist who spoke to ME about what life was actually like, instead of going on about Her name being Rio, and dancing on the sand, or a world which was populated by "Pop" stars that lived a Lifestyle that I could NEVER acheive ( Club Tropicana, anyone??).

"What does he mean to you" question:-

The greatest EVER song/lyric writer I have ever heard. ( I will even forgive the crap lyrics, as the good ones are unmistakably beautiful)...
Morrisseys lyrics ( Voice, even) can almost sometime stop my heart, with their Oh so simple quality, and I myself, as a bit of a writer, have often thought "Why didn't I think of that "?....sometimes his words jus HIT like a Dagger to my heart....).
I have almost came to blows defending Morrissey in my time on earth ( ...TRY telling ANYONE in Liverpool ( where I lwas born, and lived, until 2000 AD)that you think he's a better songwriter than John Lennon....even the hypocrites who HATE Lennon will happily try to re-arrange your teeth...)

" Has he affected my life"
Only in such a way that as a music Lover, I think he/Smiths were/are supremely talented, and I have made quite a few friends through my "Fandom".
His Lyrics/interviews have often given me Things to think about, but as I am a sensible sort of chap anyway, i tend to just nod quietly in agreement, rather than Storm the Palace, or plant a bomb in Downing Street. ( YAY!!! to the student "marches", marching as I am typing, BTW.... )

"Does his "Style" influence me:-
No. I am what I am, and I wear/act accordingly ( ...I sometimes alternate a Smiths/Morrissey T shirt for an Alice Cooper one).

Do I share his views on Animal rights, etc:-

Yes, although I am Not vegetarian, I have cut down a lot on meat-eating ( ...Quorn is SO much more expensive...maybe morrissey could bring his own brand of "Veggie" stuff out ??....I would, at least, save up to try it....).
I think having an album released called "Meat is Murder" helped there somewhat.
However, I always try to be Kind to animals, and even released a trapped pigeon recently from an awning over my local pub ( at the risk of being "Barred" for "Vandalism".....but I did it anyway...I didn't get "Barred".after all....got a free drink off the owner/manager, who didn't realise it was trapped up there....).

I have , however, NO Time AT ALL for the RSPCA.
several times in my life, I have asked them for help with Injured/stray animals.....they ALWAYS say "Just leave it where it is..."
sorry if this is long ( well, you DID ask!!)
I enjoyed the Typing practice anyway!!! ( and the questions!!).
Cheers!!
Stay handsome!
Dave.
Millie-Dawgg sends Huggs too!!!

Last edited:
I have to get in the bath as well, to keep her calm, as i have often rolled in mud too....

Hot.:cool:

Morrisseys lyrics can almost sometimes stop my heart, with their Oh so simple quality, and I myself, as a bit of a writer, have often thought "Why didn't I think of that "?....

(Yes, why didn't you? :( )

...Lovely Jay thank youuuuuuu for your answers, I shall get in the bath with Bob Martin then.:horny: (Hope he's hot.:cool:)

thanks so much dave jay for taking the time to answer my quetsions, they are very helpful!

and say hello to Millie-Dawwg too!

:)

thanks virgil tracey that is indeed helpful!

dave.jay are you still free? if so here's a few to begin with.........

Hmmm, what exactly is the purpose of the thesis?
These questions don't actually say that much about the relationship between Morrissey and the fan, they are more questions about how the fan perceive that Morrissey influence him or her.

why am i a fan of morrissey/smiths

well because in 1983 this strange character stood on the stage on top of the pops and unleashed flowers onto the audience singing this charming man . The guitar melody stuck in my brain and the wordsman sang words that were unheard of in the mainstream shop window at the time .

bought every record after even the hand in glove single from a few months before . saw them in Wales twice in the 80's and hear i am still singing those same words .

oh manchester so much to answer for .....................

Hi jackie london.

It is indeed a study on the relationship between fans and Morrissey, rather than Morrissey and fans.

These are only a few initial questions and i was hoping if people answered them they would be willing to answer some more.

Hi, I've written a thesis on similar topic & know of another who has too - could send you the links to the theses if you like?
Best of luck with your writing :)

Hi jackie london.

It is indeed a study on the relationship between fans and Morrissey, rather than Morrissey and fans.

These are only a few initial questions and i was hoping if people answered them they would be willing to answer some more.

Fire away!!!! I enjoyed the last "Session" !!! glad you liked my reply/response!!

Hi jackie london.

I got really curious now. Could I see the purpose, method, questions etc.? On which level are you writing?

If you still need help...

I am a fan of Morrissey because he has a beautiful unique voice and his lyrics speak to me.

To me Morrissey is one of the best singers and lyricists of all time. He is an inspiration to me. I discovered Morrissey a few years ago when I was sick of all of my music, and asked my parents to help me find some new music. They played "Rush and a Push and the Land is Ours," and I got the chills. At that point I stopped listening to the meaningless popular stuff I used to listen to, and discovered what music could really be. I found new bands through the smiths and Morrissey, like Joy Division, the church, the cure, etc. Later on I started playing guitar because of Johnny Marr and Morrissey. I fell in love with it and am still playing guitar. I got the Mozipedia and joined Morrissey solo forum, and it seems like each day I became more obessed with Morrissey( and Johnny Marr.)

He influences my taste in music, the lyrics I write, and he influences my fashion a little. (I have a pair of glasses I call my Morrissey glasses and I sometimes try to quiff up my hair.)

Slightly. I am not a vegetarion.

If you have any more questions I would be happy to answer.

Thanks everybody who has taken the time to reply to my questions :)
Here are a few more......

Do you have a prized piece of Morrissey memorabilia/merchandise and what does it mean to you?

Is your fandom of Morrissey something you share with your friends or does it set you out as an individual amongst them?

and finaly

Has your relationship with Morrissey helped you to overcome any issues in your personal life?

thanks again

...Hello again......
it's me back....To Quote Alice cooper ( sorry, couldn't resist, as you'll see if you read on...)

"I've got the answers....to all of your Questions..."... ( Halo of flies/ from The "Killer" album....)

Prized piece.....

Yes. The Pen he used ( which was mine in the first place) to sign some autographs , and "fat" Pats arm for me in 1987 ( Full story available on here somewhere...).
It is special to me because, as I have said, I think he is the GREATEST songwriter I have ever heard/read/listened to.
A smiths Queen is dead USA tour AAA laminate that belonged to Mike Joyce (....Bought at a Smiths convention in Manchester, 1990...I bid against myself to get it....Drunkenly, of course, but such fun....)
A VHS Signed "Hulmerist" tape/Sleeve/Cover, that I won in a Competition in "Sounds" music paper, 1980-something or other....Framed and worshipped Daily.

Do I share my "Fandom".....

Quite a few of my old mates have always shared my similar tastes in music( ...thats probably why/how we became friends initially, by meeting up at gigs, clubs, etc)..
I have had some really serious "Stick" for being a fan of Morrissey/Smiths in the past ( Most notably when i worked in Fords Halewood factory in the 80's/90's....some "Lads" in there used to Think it was MY Fault that the Smiths were on Top of the pops on a Thursday night ( the Smiths were NOT very popular in that Factory (Them being from Manchester had a LOT to do with it as well....Tribalism begins at home....etc...).....most people there loved and adored Phil Collins/Howard Jones/Sade/ Springsteen, and U2 at the time.... curiously enough ( another "Paper" perhaps ?? all the married men in there thought Boy George was well Shaggable.....). There were a few other lads who liked my "Sort" of taste in music, and we used to swap Cassettes to listen to on our walkmans....( also....for my part, most of he lads had Nude lady Pin-ups on the walls...I used to LOVE putting Mozzer pics up!!! just to wind them up!!!)

Relationship issues.....
Again, some of morrisseys Lyrics have gently reached out from the speakers, and Eased my furrowed Brow at times...Here, at last was a writer who seemed to know me, and my foibles, and sometimes whispered in my Ear " its OK to Feel/behave like that".
( Incidentally, I am a MASSIVE Alice Cooper fan, and I bought Queen is dead and an Alice album ( "Constrictor", if interested...) on the same day.
As i had liked alice longer, Constrictor got the first play. Then QID.....Sorry alice, but Mozzer and the lads won that particular battle....).

This is like being back at school, writng an essay!! I'm enjoying doing this,!!! (....really should be doing something else ( ironing, for one...) but....
Cheers!!
Dave.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom