Indiewire: "Why David Fincher Chose The Smiths for Michael Fassbender’s Zen ‘Meditation’ Soundtrack in ‘The Killer’" (September 3, 2023)

Excerpt:

Eighties-loving misanthropes will find comfort in David Fincher’s “The Killer” knowing that the assassin revenge thriller is almost exclusively soundtracked by The Smiths — when it’s not thrumming with Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross’ ominous score.

Michael Fassbender plays a near-sociopathic contract killer, unencumbered by conscience or any moral scruples, whose carefully composed world starts to spin off its axis when he accidentally kills the wrong person on a hit job in Paris. He’s a yoga-doing, almost Zen-like murderer for hire whose unreliable perspective the movie situates us directly within — and that includes The Killer’s love of English rock band The Smiths. Hits like “How Soon Is Now?” and “Bigmouth Strikes Again” are often playing in an earbud or on speaker in the many cars he cycles through as a way to come down from the rush of a kill. Plus, some lesser-known favorites, like “I Know It’s Over” off “The Queen Is Dead,” which plays at an especially bungled moment professionally for him.

“Trent and Atticus are our first call, and if they choose to return the call, I deem myself lucky,” director Fincher said at the film’s Venice Film Festival press conference Sunday afternoon. “The Smiths were a post-production addition because I knew I wanted to use ‘How Soon is Now?’ and I love the idea of that song specifically as a tool for assuaging his anxiety. I liked it as a meditation tape, I thought it was amusing and funny.”

Once you’ve seen the movie, lyrics like “I’ve got no right to take my place/ To the Human race” off “Bigmouth Strikes Again” will make sense as a kind of mantra for this lonely island of a man. In the film premiering in competition in Venice and out October 27 in theaters on Netflix, Fassbender’s character goes on a revenge rampage that takes him from Santa Domingo to New Orleans after a disgruntled client dispatches goons to try and kill his girlfriend at their hideaway. The Killer’s increasing improvisations that deviate from his usual modus operandi — “never improvise” being part of it — leave many unnecessary bodies strewn on the side of the road.

Fincher said he chose The Smiths because of their famously mordant wit, as voiced by Morrissey. “I don’t think that there’s a library of music by recording artists that have as much sardonic nature and wit simultaneously [as The Smiths], and we don’t get an awful lot of access to who this guy is. I thought through his mixtape it would be amusing, that that would be our window into him.”

“The schism between his mantra, the words that he lives by, and his behavior that is forced to adjust, was ultimately where the movie exists, where the character exists,” Fincher said. “As his voiceover is assured, and as his voiceover is telling us exactly what it is he thinks he’s going to do, the moment that disappears, the style of the cinematography changes, the style of the music changes. We tried to use the frantic nature, maybe handheld, the way that we staged the action, to really show unraveling.”

full

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a snippet of a version of FOTGTD in one of the Ant Man (or is it Antman?) flicks, I believe.
yep, the second one (I believe?) had a dedicated short piece about how big Morrissey is in Mexico showing a jukebox with only his solo material with FOTGTD playing over. I was pleasantly surprised to see this, to say the least, and the whole theatre was laughing at the scene — sadly, the best in the film

There was a snippet of a version of FOTGTD in one of the Ant Man (or is it Antman?) flicks, I believe.
This website has all that info listed...

To me this sounds absolutely brilliant! Fincher has done his share of not-that-great movies (Mank, Benjamin Button, Dragon Tattoo) but Se7en, Fight Club and Zodiac are all stone-cold classics -- and this seems like a direct continuation of them, especially with Kevin Williamson (Se7en) doing the script. Having The Smiths extensively soundtracking the inner life of the assassin would strike me as genius, even if I didn't love the music.

To me this sounds absolutely brilliant! Fincher has done his share of not-that-great movies (Mank, Benjamin Button, Dragon Tattoo) but Se7en, Fight Club and Zodiac are all stone-cold classics -- and this seems like a direct continuation of them, especially with Kevin Williamson (Se7en) doing the script. Having The Smiths extensively soundtracking the inner life of the assassin would strike me as genius, even if I didn't love the music.
Whilst I'm always happy to hear Smiths or Moz in a soundtrack, not sure if being associated with a cold, psychopathic killer is quite the PR that Moz needs at present. But maybe all publicity/exposure is good? The main thing I suppose will be the quality of the movie. Has mixed reviews from what I can see online.

Whilst I'm always happy to hear Smiths or Moz in a soundtrack, not sure if being associated with a cold, psychopathic killer is quite the PR that Moz needs at present. But maybe all publicity/exposure is good? The main thing I suppose will be the quality of the movie. Has mixed reviews from what I can see online.
Obviously I haven't seen the film, but since The Smiths songs are definitely not sociopathic or cruel, quite the opposite in fact, I assume that having a psychopathic killer listening to something so emotional and open makes for a fruitful contrast instead of even implying that The Smiths songs or their singer are sociopathic in themselves. It's not like Huey Lewis not giving the permission to use his music in American Psycho.

Obviously I haven't seen the film, but since The Smiths songs are definitely not sociopathic or cruel, quite the opposite in fact, I assume that having a psychopathic killer listening to something so emotional and open makes for a fruitful contrast instead of even implying that The Smiths songs or their singer are sociopathic in themselves. It's not like Huey Lewis not giving the permission to use his music in American Psycho.
Yes, it could make an interesting contrast - the raw emotionality and feelings of Moz's voice, against the cold, emotionless killer.

totally agree,if you look at blumhouse they spend about $8 million,the film makes $80,they have been doing that for a good while now,horror has never been better thanks to them.
Yeah those guys are a supreme example of how to do it right. Not every film is great but they don't have to be. They just have to make a profit or at least break even which is rare these days. Marvel just seem to make a loss these days and blink casually.
Yes the first Ant Man film and the only Marvel film I can handle watching all the way through. The sequel isn't bad either. The third one though is utterly unwatchable.

Not really related to Fincher's killer film, but in the European art world, people are talking about a young Dutch artist named Julian Andeweg (*'86) who has just been convicted of sexual assault and rape. Not a good guy to be associated with, either.

Andeweg's mother idolized her son, a boy who likes to sing along to real tear-jerkers, but always has his nose in a book. :unsure:

In those early years he was “obsessed” with the British pop icon Morrissey and the
Virgin Mary, a former classmate recalls.

He finds inspiration in the pop music of the Smiths, the Ramones and the Queers as
well as in the Bible, the Virgin Mary, Satanism, anthroposophy and alchemy

excerpts from:
Rape Allegations against Andeweg

By many account MF is an unpleasant dude and a bad drunk.
He's done some good stuff. He's sponsored a school for performing arts in his hometown Killarney. Reputations can sometimes be easily and unfairly tarnished. Also, people are human and sometimes act unwisely when they feel life's closing in. Hopefully this movie was cathartic for MF : )

He's done some good stuff. He's sponsored a school for performing arts in his hometown Killarney. Reputations can sometimes be easily and unfairly tarnished. Also, people are human and sometimes act unwisely when they feel life's closing in. Hopefully this movie was cathartic for MF : )
If we 'cancel' everyone who has ever behaved badly, there would be no one left. Even so called 'holy' people do very bad things. In fact, given the scandals of recent decades, especially holy people do some very bad things.

Fun fact:

Michael Fassbender physically abused his former girlfriend. She got a restraining order against him.

Johnny & Morrissey should not give permission to use their music.
Morrissey seems to like and defend men who abuse others, Harvey Weinstein comes to mind, oh and there's Boy George too.

Morrissey seems to like and defend men who abuse others, Harvey Weinstein comes to mind, oh and there's Boy George too.
He's never mentioned Weinstein. I don't recall him ever defending Boy George's actions either. Putting them on the same level is f***ing stupid, but you do you.

I think it’s fantastic. Finches is one of the best filmmakers out there.
The only bad movie of his is Alien 3 and it’s known he didn’t have much control over it.

The Times:

The Killer review — Fassbender is a slick, Smiths-obsessed assassin.

Yes, the entire soundtrack is, exclusively, wall-to-wall the Smiths, from Well I Wonder at the start to There Is a Light That Never Goes Out on the closing credits, and everything else, almost literally (Girlfriend in a Coma, This Charming Man, Hand in Glove etc) in between. It’s a bold move from Fincher, who revealed at this year’s Venice Film Festival that the decision to immerse the film, and his central character, in the world of Morrissey was a quirky post-production afterthought.
“I don’t think that there’s a library of music by recording artists that have as much sardonic nature and wit simultaneously [as the Smiths],” he said. “And we don’t get an awful lot of access to who this guy is. I thought through this mixtape it would be amusing that that would be our window into him.”

(Original Times link omitted as gated content).
FWD.

Just watched this - pretty good albeit with a simplistic and unsurprising plot.
Whenever I hear how soon is now I will now associate it with a French dominatrix getting obliterated by a sniper round.

Back
Top Bottom