Is helping other students cheat wrong?

Is helping other students cheat wrong?

• Total voters
But oral exams are hardly a comprehensive way to prove that a student is competent enough to pass/graduate/whatever. Sure, they're pretty much guaranteed to make cheating much tougher, but for any profession that actually requires the slightest bit of non-verbal skills, they're useless. I don't care whether the engineer who designed the skyscraper I work in could articulate herself well enough to pass an exam; I want to know that she knew how to design a sturdy building.

Oral exams are for the useless subjects in the humanities. Personally, I loved taking them.

But if the architect can't make a good project, all that cheating at school will be pretty useless to him/her. Alright, you may get a job because you cheated your way through school; but you can't keep it if you're incompetent.

But if the architect can't make a good project, all that cheating at school will be pretty useless to him/her. Alright, you may get a job because you cheated your way through school; but you can't keep it if you're incompetent.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA! Never had a white-collar job, have you?

'Real Life' doesn't have to be a hollow desk job and nuclear family. I know it's hard for you to see that, being so cynical and all... I know you think it's just my age, but I know lots of adults with similar views to me.

So do I. I'm related to several of them. Hence the scorn. It has nothing to do with your age.

Last edited:
I voted 'no, never' but copying someone's test isn't the best to do, everyone should study and so on... which, however, is not answer to your question nor how I usually behave.
I don't have a problem with other people looking at my sheets and copying my answers, as long as I don't get caught (yeah, in my country they nullify both tests, grrrr), and I answer to some questions if it's not too risky.

I used to have an italian teacher that was blind. With him it was possible to cheat even during oral tests: it was normal to answer his questions while reading the books. That was really nasty :(

Where I live cheating is normal even among PhD candidates. The italian university is a bunch of the most disgusting people you will ever meet.

I voted 'no, never' but copying someone's test isn't the best to do, everyone should study and so on... which, however, is not answer to your question nor how I usually behave.
I don't have a problem with other people looking at my sheets and copying my answers, as long as I don't get caught (yeah, in my country they nullify both tests, grrrr), and I answer to some questions if it's not too risky.

Come vanno gli studi judge? Ci stiamo avvicinando alla Laurea?

Cheating = intolerable.
... and do not cry if you are caught... I do not want to hear it.

I used to have an italian teacher that was blind. With him it was possible to cheat even during oral tests: it was normal to answer his questions while reading the books. That was really nasty :(

Where I live cheating is normal even among PhD candidates. The italian university is a bunch of the most disgusting people you will ever meet.
ahahaha for you teacher :D
PhD=doctor of philosophy? did you study that? it isn't strange. philosophers are smart people.

Come vanno gli studi judge? Ci stiamo avvicinando alla Laurea?
beh... diversi esami vecchi e un altro anno di lezioni, poi tesi...

So why exactly is helping other students cheat wrong?

First of all, it's completely stupid. Why should you waste your time bailing out some ass who couldn't manage to do the work? That's not fair to you at all.

I have never been in a class, EVER, that was impossible to keep up with. Show up at class, do the assignments, do the readings, and you will at least make a B unless you really don't belong at that school or level.

It is wrong because it gives lazy students an unfair advantage over those who did the work fairly.

It's just like plagiarism, it's taking others' work and claiming it as your own.

Cheating can work different ways. I'm sure that we have all taken an "open-book exam". This is when the teacher realizes that so many kids may be failing that it is going to possibly cost them their job or at least make them look like bad teachers, or when they just can't face giving out all those F's and D's.

An open book exam feels like cheating but without the stress, just the mild sense of elation. I'm sure it has it's place, and I believe that the point ideally is to help you learn and also show you what you should have focused on if you had studied for a real test.

But real cheating makes the blood pump and puts you into a state of high alertness. I think that things that you learn while really cheating stay with you, provided you aren't just filling in the dots on a scantron sheet.

So it raises another question. If the point is to learn and you learn as you are cheating, is cheating bad? There's a strange factor of time. Did you know the answers before you took the test or after?

There is also the question of learning to prepare. On a test where you score in the high 90 percentile, you learned more than was asked on the test. Ideally the test asks the important questions, but has some element of randomness. There should be questions of lower level importance, and these are the questions that should determine the difference between the A, B, and C level students, and not the most critical questions. Anyone getting a C at least should get those.

One more question is practical application. If a person walks into the test knowing very little and manages to get a high score, this means that they might be the person you would want to hire. They know how to improvise and think on their feet. They have the innate intelligence to know the right answer from the wrong one based on logical deduction and instinct, and they might also be great at networking and a charismatic person if they manage to get the answers with the cooperation of those who did study.

So the answer is complicated, and I think that the answer that "cheating is wrong" is more of a moral issue than a practical or even an ethical one.

First of all, it's completely stupid. Why should you waste your time bailing out some ass who couldn't manage to do the work? That's not fair to you at all.

I have never been in a class, EVER, that was impossible to keep up with. Show up at class, do the assignments, do the readings, and you will at least make a B unless you really don't belong at that school or level.

It is wrong because it gives lazy students an unfair advantage over those who did the work fairly.

It's just like plagiarism, it's taking others' work and claiming it as your own.

I wouldn't bother answering the question, since Chica obviously knows the answer from the start and is trying to wind people up (again) :rolleyes:

Cheating is quite common in Hungarian schools, even at the highest levels. I'm not saying I never tried it, but most of the time it didn't really help, plus I felt so guilty that the stress of being possibly caught by the teacher was worse than that caused by the test itself.

I remember having an American teacher at the Business School who said that one of the most shocking things about Hungarian education system was cheating for him. The other one was how the whole system is based on factual knowledge, not the individual capacity of creative thinking. He was right in both cases.

Back
Top Bottom