Is helping other students cheat wrong?

Is helping other students cheat wrong?

• Total voters
First of all, it's completely stupid. Why should you waste your time bailing out some ass who couldn't manage to do the work? That's not fair to you at all.

As long as you make the choice to waste your time on that ass, I see no problem with it.

It is wrong because it gives lazy students an unfair advantage over those who did the work fairly.

No it doesn't. First, it doesn't take away from their knowledge - they're free to show all of it, and second, in the long run people with knowledge will fare better and people who cheated won't have an advantage over them.

It's just like plagiarism, it's taking others' work and claiming it as your own.

How is it wrong to allow other person to use your work and present it as theirs?

Cheating is quite common in Hungarian schools, even at the highest levels. I'm not saying I never tried it, but most of the time it didn't really help, plus I felt so guilty that the stress of being possibly caught by the teacher was worse than that caused by the test itself.

I remember having an American teacher at the Business School who said that one of the most shocking things about Hungarian education system was cheating for him. The other one was how the whole system is based on factual knowledge, not the individual capacity of creative thinking. He was right in both cases.

NRitH won't believe you.

I have never been in a class, EVER, that was impossible to keep up with. Show up at class, do the assignments, do the readings, and you will at least make a B unless you really don't belong at that school or level.

Two words to contradict what you said: graduate school.

It's just like plagiarism, it's taking others' work and claiming it as your own.

Good thing we're all here because we admire a singer who would never, ever borrow anything from anyone else. ;)

Cheating can work different ways. I'm sure that we have all taken an "open-book exam". This is when the teacher realizes that so many kids may be failing that it is going to possibly cost them their job or at least make them look like bad teachers, or when they just can't face giving out all those F's and D's.

An open book exam feels like cheating but without the stress, just the mild sense of elation. I'm sure it has it's place, and I believe that the point ideally is to help you learn and also show you what you should have focused on if you had studied for a real test.

That's too broad a statement. In the language classes that I took and taught, open-book tests were very common beyond the second or third year. For example, dictionaries were allowed for translation tests, but not grammars or other textbooks. That's because we were expected to know how the words and sentences were put together, but not necessarily what every word meant.

I remember having an American teacher at the Business School who said that one of the most shocking things about Hungarian education system was cheating for him. The other one was how the whole system is based on factual knowledge, not the individual capacity of creative thinking. He was right in both cases.

NRitH won't believe you.

Which part won't I believe? I believe both. Based on my teaching experience, I'd guess that cheating must also be endemic in the Pakistani & Indian education systems, because I was shocked at how much cheating was done by students from those countries in my classes. They were very open about it, and they couldn't understand why I kept giving them failing grades whenever I tried it. (Actually, they couldn't figure out why they couldn't bargain their way out of the failing grade. :rolleyes:)

Which part won't I believe? I believe both. Based on my teaching experience, I'd guess that cheating must also be endemic in the Pakistani & Indian education systems, because I was shocked at how much cheating was done by students from those countries in my classes. They were very open about it, and they couldn't understand why I kept giving them failing grades whenever I tried it. (Actually, they couldn't figure out why they couldn't bargain their way out of the failing grade. :rolleyes:)

Well, you didn't believe me that in my culture it's considered unethical NOT to let another student copy your answers.

Not morally objectionable, but ethically objectionable. Not in the culture that you grew up in, purportedly, but I suspect that you're grossly oversimplifying the truth, and I'm not buying it.

Well, you didn't believe me that in my culture it's considered unethical NOT to let another student copy your answers.

I still don't. Just because it's rampant in a culture doesn't mean it's considered ethical. I can maybe see how overseas students would cheat a bit to help each other succeed in a foreign land, but then again, that's giving them far more of a benefit of the doubt than I think they deserve.

I'm pretty sure that I directly or indirectly ruined a few of my students' careers by flunking them (quite deservedly), which may have gotten them kicked out of school eventually and sent packing. Oh, well.

I still don't. Just because it's rampant in a culture doesn't mean it's considered ethical. I can maybe see how overseas students would cheat a bit to help each other succeed in a foreign land, but then again, that's giving them far more of a benefit of the doubt than I think they deserve.

It wouldn't be rampant if it weren't considered ethical.

Also, certain gestures aren't considered racist. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't be rampant if it weren't considered ethical.

23120027.jpg

Also, certain gestures aren't considered racist. :rolleyes:

LOL wut?

Back
Top Bottom