"Louder Than Bombs: The Smiths in Ireland, Nov '84" - RTE 1 Radio Documentary on The Smiths' Nov. 1984 Irish tour, 2pm Sat. 19 Aug, 2023

Update:
(August 18, 2023)
Now available to listen to via:

RTE 1 Radio Documentary (Ireland)
Sat 19 Aug, 2023
14:00
Documentary on One
IT'S time the tale were told about The Smiths' November 1984 tour of Ireland. One that involves paramilitaries, politics and nine gigs over 10 chaotic days.

Ticket for The Smiths SFX Dublin 1984.jpg

An alternative title I heard mentioned is, Louder than Bombs. These documentaries are usually available for playback here -

(Also listed for the same day, later on RTE 1 TV, at 11.45pm, is a film premier of madcap Irish vampire comedy Let The Wrong One In, which may somehow relate too)

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
It contains a whole lot of new material and quite a few hilarious anecdotes. The legendary compilation album, Hatful of Hollow was released on 12th November as the tour kicked off. A fantastic listen with a real buzz! :guitar:
These were the days, my friend. Things were maybe not so professional back then, but the desire of all band members to connect with their Irish roots, to get out there and play in Ireland (including northern Ireland which back then was quiteexceptional due to the circumstances) and the enthusiasm of the crew and oganizers …. I loved every bit of this podcast. And it really made me laugh too.

These were the days, my friend. Things were maybe not so professional back then, but the desire of all band members to connect with their Irish roots, to get out there and play in Ireland (including northern Ireland which back then was quite exceptional due to the circumstances) and the enthusiasm of the crew and organizers …. I loved every bit of this podcast. And it really made me laugh too.
Only a dozen in the whole tour ensemble. A sea crossing so rough, Morrissey and Marr may have had to be taken to hospital after it. Going out searching for tree branches before gigs! So many tales!

If they'd been available at the time, Mike Joyce's comments about his place in the band could possibly have swayed the infamous court-case the other way?

If they'd been available at the time, Mike Joyce's comments about his place in the band could possibly have swayed the infamous court-case the other way?
Good point. Mike was naive at the time, but how could he know then that he was fortunate to be the drummer in one of the most influential bands? These things you find out years and years later. By that time, money has changed everything.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom