Morrissey #2 in midweek UK album charts - Official Charts Company

Can Morrissey topple Ed Sheeran from the Official Albums Chart summit? - Official Charts Company

Excerpt:

World Peace Is None Of Your Business is set to become this week’s highest new albums entry.

Ed Sheeran faces competition from Morrissey in the race to Number 1 on this week’s Official Albums Chart.

According to the Official Charts Company’s sales data, the 23-year-old singer/songwriter’s new studio album, X, is currently in pole position on today’s Update. However, Morrissey’s critically acclaimed, tenth solo album, World Peace Is None Of Your Business, is close behind with just 6,000 copies in it at this midway stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite the best efforts of "Morrissey" to trash "Morrissey" and reduce the public perception of the brand/persona "Morrissey" to ridicule, it's heartening to see how forgiving the public are when the black sheep of the family returns to form. It will take a while for the holdouts in the meeja to get on message but they've had the memo, so once critical mass is reached, they'll fall into line.

One assumes that as that emerging consensus concretises, then "Morrissey" will begin to grant/bestow/award relevant supplicants with his personal presence for interviews once again. With the caveat that all such encounters are recorded on video tape so there's no mischief interpretations. On either side.....

Often, words on a page/screen need the visual co-efficient of body language in order to clarify intent, especially when there's mutiple layers of nuance and playfulness. It's very easy to be dismissed as a ludicrous troll when there's world epochal issues to ensnare in a pithy quote.

It's certainly going to be *fascinating* to watch/hear/read what this new "Morrissey" has to say about this startling new album and whether or not he wishes to make any further comments on some of the faux-pas/incendiary/lulz-fest troll rampages of previous versions of "Morrissey".

A new chapter. A page is turned and the quill is lifted from the inkwell as "Notes Towards An Interview" are jotted down on archive quality papyrus. One can only wonder if any further concert performances will be announced as the nights begin to draw in and the frivolities of summer recede.

best wishes
"BrummieBoy"
somewhere in Babylon

Meanwhile in the real world the average seems to be about a seven out of ten, which, for a seven out of ten album, seems fair.

If, if, Morrissey was not a misanthropic little emperor it might have garnered another half a point.

Just one bit of TV promo would have done it, though a One Show appearance where he declares that any one who likes Ed Sheeran should have a bolt shot in their head and their throat cut probably wouldn't have helped.

I don't know but this may be caused if the TQID is on special offer at the tills at HMV stores for £2.99 or whatever. When I went to buy the Chrissie Htnde album Stokhom the other week when I got to the checkout I was offered anything by the till for £2.99. I said "no" but then I saw Carole King's Tapestry and grabbed it. Tapestry is at #48 in the UK chart about 43 years after release!

When I go and get a de luxe copy of WPINOYB I just may pick up an extra TQID 'cos I'd love it to be top 10 again.

That makes sence. How many albums do you need to sell these days to make it to #23? A couple of thousand?

A new chapter. A page is turned and the quill is lifted from the inkwell as "Notes Towards An Interview" are jotted down on archive quality papyrus. One can only wonder if any further concert performances will be announced as the nights begin to draw in and the frivolities of summer recede.

best wishes
"BrummieBoy"
somewhere in Babylon

The heart flutters and my skin pulls into goosebumps. I must hear these songs live!

I suppose now is the time to tell your friends (if you have any) that the new album is great. Or perhaps buy it as a gift for a loved one (if you have any). Failing that why not sing "Kiss me a lot" at the bus stop and see what happens....

Buy another copy , keep your reciept and return it for gift card , credit next week ....just an idea . My vinyl copy came in today and that will be purchased tomorrow , never to be played ... so i have purchased twice . Its our bestseller this week by a fair way . So sheeran is probably doin it on download

What a crappy top 25. You should be ashamed UK. Coldplay, Dolly Parton, "The Queen Is Dead".

Where is the Iggy Azalea and Frozen Soundtrack? Don't you have 9 year old girls determining your charts?

Ed Sheeran #1! Relative new boy on the block!

Morrissey #2! Not really on the 'popular 'radar any more! This is an incredible achievement and testimony to his ongoing talent and genius!

How many other artists deliver to this level and produce albums of such depth, quality and relevance this far into their career?

Will Ed be #2 in 30 years time? Unlikely!

That is all.

Ed Sheeran #1! Relative new boy on the block!

Morrissey #2! Not really on the 'popular 'radar any more! This is an incredible achievement and testimony to his ongoing talent and genius!

How many other artists deliver to this level and produce albums of such depth, quality and relevance this far into their career?

Will Ed be #2 in 30 years time? Unlikely!

That is all.
Yes, nice one sherlock...

My thoughts exactly. This is an incredible achievement for anyone at any point in their career, but particularly for someone who has been making records for so many years now. It's particularly amazing when you consider the total lack of interviews/TV appearances and the aborted tour.

I'm sure Morrissey will see #2 as a failure, but I feel very proud as a fan.

Who the F**K is Ed Sheeran?! I'm too lazy to Google but I'm sure he's crap and he's pissing me off. Viva Moz!

2 would be a very solid achievement for Moz but he's got no chance of catching ed. Although that says more about the average album buying public than WPISNOYB

**goes and listens to Ed is Dead by the Pixies:D

7000 signed UK CDs should do the trick :)
If he was that bothered about the UK chart position he should have done something like this, he has done zero promo, atleast in the US Capitol bent over backwards, if we had a similar amount of promo here he probably could have been #1

Back
Top Bottom