Morrissey: Racism and bigotry masquerading as animal welfare - Love Music Hate Racism

Morrissey: Racism and bigotry masquerading as animal welfare - Love Music Hate Racism
"Morrissey has jumped from the gutter into the sewer with his latest racist outbursts, which single out Muslims, Jews and Black and Asian politicians.

Excerpt:

Echoing fascist and ultra nationalist parties in Europe, the singer has called for Halal and Kosher meat to be banned and dumped abuse on shadow home secretary Diane Abbott and on London’s Mayor Sadiq Khan.
According to Morrissey, “halal slaughter requires certification that can only be given by supporters of Isis”, a process which he describes as “evil” and which should be banned. He also calls for the outlawing of Jewish kosher meat preparation, which he says is “very cruel”.
The message is barely coded. From the Nazi BNP and EDL in Britain to Marine Le Pen’s Front National in France to Hungarian prime minister Victor Orban’s anti-Semitic, anti-Muslim, anti-migrant election campaign last month, calls to ban Halal and Kosher meat have acted as a dog whistle for their Nazi followers."

..."We will be organising gigs and educational events in towns and cities across the country, to shut up bigots like Morrissey and his racist friends."

Thought the article was worth including after reading that (the last quote, not the excerpt) :)

42835_M17-Anti-Racism-Demo-SUTR17-3-18-40-1024x681.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Related items:

Last edited:
Why do people feel the need to publicly divorce themselves from him on here? If you can’t stand him, just go. No need to justify it, I really doubt anybody cares.
Similar to those people who say goodbye to Twitter, on Twitter. It’s very, very weird attention seeking behaviour. Just delete your account, or just remove the bookmark from your browser and do something else, surely?
To make you feel bad.

It works.

Did you ejaculate all over your screen upon reading this garbage?
skinny has never posted so much in the last few days,no wanking for him for a while,hands must be killing him.
for me this sounds like a spoof interview,being invited to Buckingham palace three times,the royals have very long memories.

Why do people feel the need to publicly divorce themselves from him on here? If you can’t stand him, just go. No need to justify it, I really doubt anybody cares.
Similar to those people who say goodbye to Twitter, on Twitter. It’s very, very weird attention seeking behaviour. Just delete your account, or just remove the bookmark from your browser and do something else, surely?
they cant because theyr obsessed,iv never seen so many new names on here since this broke.

Can one of the people who are upset identify the most racist statement made in the interview, for objective assessment of whether it is ‘racist’.
It might be better coming from someone who is not really that upset, to give it some perspective. In fact I'm probably more bothered by the staggering ignorance (Hitler was left wing; all acid attacks are non-white; eggs are hard to find in supermarkets), the narcissism and the rampant self-congratulation.

But four things jumped out at me as either racist and/or genuinely troubling:
1. halal slaughter certification is given by supporters of ISIS (ie conflating ordinary Muslims with terrorists). It's been suggested that this is just his way of equating the violence of their method of slaughter with terrorism, and I get this. But my initial, gut response was racism, and I don't think my 'racist hair trigger' is half as sensitive as some on here.

2. The support for For Britain. I refuse to believe that he can only judge them through their animal rights policy (which is surely just informed by their anti-Muslim stance anyway). So he's either bigoted or REALLY stupid.

3. The Sadiq Khan comments. When you break down what he says, it's not specifically racist, just vindictive. But he's had a pop at Khan before and when you put the comments together, it does sound more like he's just disgusted that a Muslim man of Asian descent is London Mayor.

4. The Diane Abbott comment. I've had a re-think about this. Now, Diane Abbott is in my view a blithering idiot and the fact that she's even in the shadow cabinet beggars belief. So comments about her being unemployable outside Westminster are bang on as far as I'm concerned. But why pick on her over, say, Corbyn, whose profile is much higher, in order to make his point? Put this comment alongside the others and it doesn't look like Ms Abbott is chosen at random.

There you go, Neal, that's my view, for your objective assessment.

so if you don't like how a group of people needlessly for stupids reasons kill animals in the worse way then you are a racist. then a am a fing racist. Proud of it.

you Europeans are out your minds, we have better things to do here in US than over analyze every word someone says.

There is a tradition of free speech in the UK. People have fought hard to keep it.
We are now in a position where (whether it’s the threat of violence) you can’t say the words Muslim or Jew without someone shouting you down. If a Christian is criticised for eating lamb at Easter then it’s ok.
As a vegan and a protector of rights for both vulnerable people and animals of course you are going to look at halal and kosher and have a moral opinion about it.
I speak and work with a lot of Muslim people and it’s quite clear that as long as you agree with them then you are ok. If you show signs of an opposing position then they go cold on you. No matter what any member of any religion tells you, in essence they want everyone to be like them. They want the whole world to be like them.
I was brought up a Methodist but was never told that one religion is better than another.
I was taught that you can do what you want with your life so long as what you do or say doesn’t hurt anyone else (I have chosen to take this to include animals as well).
I understand what M is saying and it does seem that the government are scared of speaking out on issues which may offend hardline people of all religions.
But there are other issues I think M should talk about. Banning fur imports into the UK, anti-vivisection, animals in circuses in UK.
If he had a more balanced approach to his statements on animal/human rights then people might not react so violently.
I do think he has perhaps become so detached from a normal rounded existence of life in the UK that he fails to temper his statements. This seems to happen to a lot of people as they race towards 60. They move towards the right of the political spectrum. They lose touch. Their complaints become about protecting their little world. It’s a regression. We have to as ourselves who are the people M has around him to sound things off. Does Linder support his views? Those who are suffering from the collateral damage are those with shelves of his music in their homes. What has kept Johnny Marr well grounded are the facts that he has kids (he’s had to be a grown up), he still lives near to where he grew up and has kept friends from childhood. Morrissey is an intelligent guy. It feels that since he had “employed” SER things have gone downhill.
Where do we go from here?...where does he go from here?
Pilgrimupnorth

It might be better coming from someone who is not really that upset, to give it some perspective. In fact I'm probably more bothered by the staggering ignorance (Hitler was left wing; all acid attacks are non-white; eggs are hard to find in supermarkets), the narcissism and the rampant self-congratulation.

1. halal slaughter certification is given by supporters of ISIS (ie conflating ordinary Muslims with terrorists). It's been suggested that this is just his way of equating the violence of their method of slaughter with terrorism, and I get this. But my initial, gut response was racism, and I don't think my 'racist hair trigger' is half as sensitive as some on here.

2. The support for For Britain. I refuse to believe that he can only judge them through their animal rights policy (which is surely just informed by their anti-Muslim stance anyway). So he's either bigoted or REALLY stupid.

3. The Sadiq Khan comments. When you break down what he says, it's not specifically racist, just vindictive. But he's had a pop at Khan before and when you put the comments together, it does sound more like he's just disgusted that a Muslim man of Asian descent is London Mayor.

4. The Diane Abbott comment. I've had a re-think about this. Now, Diane Abbott is in my view a blithering idiot and the fact that she's even in the shadow cabinet beggars belief. So comments about her being unemployable outside Westminster are bang on as far as I'm concerned. But why pick on her over, say, Corbyn, whose profile is much higher, in order to make his point? Put this comment alongside the others and it doesn't look like Ms Abbott is chosen at random.

As I've said before - this is all summarised as "Brown people - ewwwwwww"

As I've said before - this is all summarised as "Brown people - ewwwwwww"
Yes, you have. But I prefer more measured analysis. Just my way - if someone takes an absolute view I like to pick it apart to see if I think it's true, and if so, which bits. Most people are complex and contradictory. Not to acknowledge this is to reduce any debate to a whitewash. Or in this case, perhaps a brownwash.

No one, even hardcore fans, can identify Mr. Riggers. And you’re right, I don’t think I can think of a more weird time in the Moz fandom.
I think there are two points which show beyond doubt that he's a figment of Morrissey's wishful thinking. Firstly, this:

JOHN: You didn’t seem to mourn the death of David Bowie?

MORRISSEY: Oh. What was I supposed to do?

NO real journalist would EVER let that go without probing for more.

Then the clincher:
JOHN: Thank you, and most especially for World Peace Is None Of Your Business.

This exactly. I’d add in the false assertion that all acid attacks in London are ‘non-white’. Seeking to equate a particular type of criminality with a race in the face of evidence. Also even his use of the phrase ‘non-white’ implies a them and us.

Contrary to popular belief, most racists don’t use overtly racist language in a public space. It’s more often than not it’s confined to places where they feel safe to express their views. In public it tends to be thinly veiled. Only Morrissey himself knows if he is truly a racist, but from this interview and all the examples above, he’s providing the biggest hint yet that he is. You only need to look at some of the people on social media embracing and supporting his message to see he has provided succour to people who are unapologetically racist. That’s unforgiveable.

But why bring it up then at all, the death of Bowie?
Seems a strange thing for Morrissey to do, so I think it is unfair at this point to assume Riggers doesn't exist.

Seems a strange thing for Morrissey to do, so I think it is unfair at this point to assume Riggers doesn't exist.
Because he knows everybody slated him for pointedly ignoring his death. Somebody even audibly shouted out 'c***' at one of his 2016 gigs, when he gave a roll call for good and the great who had just died, including Prince, Victoria Wood and many others... but not Bowie.

I'm not going to link, but if you want to look, you have Infowars, Breitbart, Paul Joseph Watson, Tommy Robinson, and various Nazi forums praising Morrissey. Sure, you may not think he's racist, but he's got an awful lot of racist fans, and that's indisputable.

I have to say that now his career is coming to a close, now he's got all your money, he's reverting to type. How does it feel that you were cheated?

Are you asking a wider audience or really just asking yourself? Of all the people who visit this site I doubt any have spent as much time, money and energy obsessing about Morrissey as you. The thousands of posts and tweets. The hours upon hours spent moderating Solo. It's all been said before but the reason you are repeatedly ridiculed on here is because, to the casual fan of Morrissey's music, you come across like a foil hat wearing lunatic. It's a pity as I suspect that your heart is in the right place - it's just that your head is all over the shop. Feeling the need to comment upon every action of a man who you do not like must be damaging for you and the people around you. Just let it go...

I get that you are angry about his recent comments. They are not good. I get that you feel like you have to do something to display that anger (even wearing anti-racism socks...yep, that will help the cause) but you must realise that you effect and change nothing. Zero. Your words mean zilch. Your anger is utterly futile. Your opinion counts for absolutely nothing beyond enabling individuals to mock you on a website.

Morrissey may have some issues with the way society has developed over the last 50 years. So what? Really, who cares? How does this impact on anyone's life? It doesn't. It means nothing.

You have spent a significant majority of your life obsessing about the opinions, thoughts and actions of man who you do not know. It's all a bit daft when you think about it.

Personally I think if you're offended by this now, you haven't been a Morrissey fan for too long. "I don’t really think, for instance, black people and white people will ever really get on or like each other’ he would tell Q Magazine in 1992.

I agree with some things in his recent interview and disagree with others. So much faux outrage about this recent interview that some people seem genuinely more upset by his comments than actual Halal slaughter or acid attacks.

As for Dianne Abbot - she's an easy target. Not because the colour of her skin, but because she's hugely incompetent. Many would say she's in the position she is because she ticks many 'diversity' boxes. The people of Hackney, a large black/ethnic community don't vote her in because she's good, they vote her in because of her ethnicity. Racism if you will. But we better not mention that had we.... (Morrissey also criticised Corbyn and May)

The criticism of Sadiq Kahn is justified too. Here is London, giddy of London, is it home of the knife crime and acid attack or what? His complete arrogance is appalling.

I think there are two points which show beyond doubt that he's a figment of Morrissey's wishful thinking. Firstly, this:

JOHN: You didn’t seem to mourn the death of David Bowie?

MORRISSEY: Oh. What was I supposed to do?

NO real journalist would EVER let that go without probing for more.

Then the clincher:
JOHN: Thank you, and most especially for World Peace Is None Of Your Business.

The easiest way to clarify the existence of Mr Riggers is for him to release the recording of the interview, just like the journalist who did the Der Spiegel interview did.

I think that he exists, but I think it’s most likely Sam asking him a series of predetermined questions.

"Morrissey has jumped from the gutter into the sewer with his latest racist outbursts, which single out Muslims, Jews and Black and Asian politicians.

Excerpt:

Echoing fascist and ultra nationalist parties in Europe, the singer has called for Halal and Kosher meat to be banned and dumped abuse on shadow home secretary Diane Abbott and on London’s Mayor Sadiq Khan.
According to Morrissey, “halal slaughter requires certification that can only be given by supporters of Isis”, a process which he describes as “evil” and which should be banned. He also calls for the outlawing of Jewish kosher meat preparation, which he says is “very cruel”.
The message is barely coded. From the Nazi BNP and EDL in Britain to Marine Le Pen’s Front National in France to Hungarian prime minister Victor Orban’s anti-Semitic, anti-Muslim, anti-migrant election campaign last month, calls to ban Halal and Kosher meat have acted as a dog whistle for their Nazi followers."

..."We will be organising gigs and educational events in towns and cities across the country, to shut up bigots like Morrissey and his racist friends."

Thought the article was worth including after reading that (the last quote, not the excerpt) :)

42835_M17-Anti-Racism-Demo-SUTR17-3-18-40-1024x681.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Related items:

Love Music Hate Racism Being Slung At People That Are Not Racist

If you think that Morrissey is racist then you're a f***ing idiot.

Personally I think if you're offended by this now, you haven't been a Morrissey fan for too long. "I don’t really think, for instance, black people and white people will ever really get on or like each other’ he would tell Q Magazine in 1992.

I have been a fan for over 30 years and I am now done. The last year in particular he has sunk to a new low, and the last few interviews are just complete disasters. There is a difference between a controversial comment every now and then which makes him look uninformed and slightly dumb, to endorsing a far-right political organisation under the guise of its supposed animal rights views. He has finally hit Eric Clapton status as far as his mouth goes, and I for one am not going to cling to the hope that things will get any better. This is only going to get worse people, mark my words. Far worse.

Sadiq Khan may be incompetent, he may even be arrogant, but Morrissey didn't criticise Khan for being incompetent or arrogant. He has criticised him for his pronunciation. Repeatedly.

Not a fan of halal, but how is halal any worse than, say, large-scale pig farming? Those horrible factory farms in the UK, Germany, the US with hundreds of thousands of animals in confined areas, confined to living hell, a widespread incidence of animal cruelty and a devastating impact on the environment?

Whenever he's criticised Theresa May or David Cameron before her, it has always been purely on the grounds of animal welfare (by the way, he’s never once criticised the Tory governments of the last eight years on the state of the NHS, the welfare state, poverty, etc). But then, when it comes to certain other politicians like Nigel Farage, the “liberal educator”, he completely ignores the fact that Farage voted against a resolution to combat illegal ivory trade in Europe. One can’t help but wonder why.

The only thing he has really been consistent about is immigration and the fact that you might hear some foreign accents while sauntering around Knightsbridge.

Last edited:
Sadiq Khan may be incompetent, he may even be arrogant, but Morrissey didn't criticise Khan for being incompetent or arrogant. He has criticised him for his pronunciation. Repeatedly.

Not a fan of halal, but how is halal any worse than, say, large-scale pig farming? Those horrible factory farms in the UK, Germany, the US with hundreds of thousands of animals in confined areas, confined to living hell, a widespread incidence of animal cruelty and a devastating impact on the environment?

Whenever he's criticised Theresa May or David Cameron before her, it has always been purely on the grounds of animal welfare (by the way, he’s never once criticised the Tory governments of the last eight years on the state of the NHS, the welfare state, poverty, etc). But then, when it comes to certain other politicians like Nigel Farage, the “liberal educator”, he completed ignores the fact that Farage voted against a resolution to combat illegal ivory trade in Europe. One can’t help but wonder why.

The only thing he has really been consistent about is immigration and the fact that you might hear some foreign accents while sauntering around Knightsbridge.

Exactly all of this! He may not be a racist in the traditional sense of the word, but he certainly is islamaphobic, xenophobic, a nationalist, and a far right/alt right sympathiser. I mean, the comments about Waters and Le Pen last year certainly gave the impression that he had some word shit going on in his head, and now we have verification of said weird shit.

Back
Top Bottom