Morrissey statement on South America tour, food poisoning at TTY: "See the luck I've had"

See the luck I've had - true-to-you.net
12 July 2013

I can't give words to the sorrow I feel at the loss of perfect Peru. Oh, black cloud. After such a victorious and uplifting welcome of Lima love, the contaminated jinx had its way via a simple restaurant meal of penne pasta and tomato. Three hours later, both I, and security Liam have collapsed with a deadly and delirious bedridden disease. Five days of round-the-clock medical supervision just barely controls the corrosively toxic food poisoning. I know my luck too well. Sorrow replaces joy, and in every dream home a heartache. It could only be me.
I have returned to Los Angeles and to the expert supervision of my doctor Jeremy Fine, who assures me that I shall be fine (although not in the gossamer, powdery sense) for our upcoming shows in Argentina and Brazil. I have absolutely no idea where my beloved Chile has gone. In the heat of cancellations and postponements, the humiliation and mortification I feel on a personal level is too mammoth to be measured. If my spirits climb down any lower I could never again find the dignity to stand upright. We all live at the mercy of biological chance, and although I am not one to take refuge in clichés, I repeat my very servile apologies to any and all who back-packed their way to Peru. Alas, the dark shadow made the same journey.
Each year of life brings us nearer to our decline, but I will continue to seek a listener until I'm dead in a ditch.

with all the soul of the world
MORRISSEY
12 July 2013, Los Angeles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was chatting with an American guy on here the other day, I can't remember where, somewhere deep in the basement, and he told me of finally getting a copy of the first Smiths album some months I believe after release and lying on his bed in the dark and letting it wash over him. I've done that. I didn't know the guy, but I sort of did. A kindred spirit. It made me feel there was still hope left. It made me want Morrissey to write something of that quality once again so perhaps others might share that rather wonderful experience of some bloke from Davyhulme writing some more songs that saved the life of someone, somewhere.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm a longtime lurker but seldom poster (here and online in general). I am glad I shared my story of that first listen to The Smiths and that it made a positive impact.

I guess I was inspired to post when I saw that The Smiths was named "Best album of 1984" by "Slicing Up Eyeballs" website. I'm sure many fans can recall an experience where it became crystal-clear in their consciousness that they had made a "deep connection" with The Smiths/Morrissey as their favorite musical artist. For me it was that long-ago rainy night first hearing The Smiths in my room - especially "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle" and "Suffer Little Children", both of which filled me with sublime awe and the realization that I was in the presence of both musical and lyrical genius. Well, genius and incredible sensitivity and empathy, because it wasn't just the intelligence of these songs (and the others) that grabbed me - it was also their heart.

This experience was, in hindsight, at the root of why I would collect all releases to follow, drive hundreds of miles to various concerts (my first being what would turn out to be THE "live in Dallas"), and why I find myself checking the web from time to time, nearly 30 years later, to keep up with what Morrissey's up to!

D

Haha = so now you want this site to be the moral/ethical police now? You think this site should hold Morrissey to account? How incredibly arrogant, pompous and stupid. The idea that any artist would be held to account by fans, or create work by committee and/or with the approval of fans is utter nonsense. Substitute Picasso or Judy Garland (two other artists deemed by critics and biographers to have behaved recklessly) and you will immediately see what blatant infantile nonsense you are talking. The self-importance on display here is repugnant. A new low for So Low.

The Judy Garland analogy is a good one. She is someone who became uninsurable, whose record of concert cancellations makes Morrissey seem the very model of reliability. She also had a tiny minority of critics obsessively scrutinising every rumour and half-truth for “evidence” of her decline, repeatedly asserting over the last fifteen years of her life that her best work was behind her, that her career was over, that all her fans had given up on her – and yet the reverse was true. Every time a concert was announced it sold quickly and was received rapturously by those who were actually there (Sinatra and Tony Bennett hailed her concert career as greater than her MGM movies). And this was a pattern that continued until a few weeks before her death. Sounds familiar, huh?

I've lost count of the times over the last few years that I've read the confident assertions on here from a tiny minority that Morrissey's career was over, that his fans have deserted him, that oblivion was beckoning... and of course it's all untrue, totally lacking in understanding, insight and credibility and I'm never quite sure what the writers hope to achieve by posting such baloney. But still the attacks continue, now with the added nonsense of “and this is how he ought to live his life”. I'm not a blindly loyal apologist (because it seems that this is what you're accused of if you don't join in with the trolls), in fact I find his awful name puns excruciatingly childish, but, like most normal people, reading them doesn't inspire me to log on to this site and launch a lengthy, vitriolic “Get off the stage, you sad old man” attack, as some here do with tedious predictability and negligible provocation. Of course, it's ironic (but not unexpected) that the people who over-react in this way are also the same people who criticise Morrissey for his own apparent over-reaction and hyperbole.

What right does anyone have to start telling an artist how to live their life or to dictate the kind of work that the artist ought to be creating? That really is breathtaking arrogance. And if we're advocating interventions simply because saying or doing one thing or another is “unacceptable” to the tiny minority on here, then what about pointing the finger at those who seem addicted to the pointless, wasteful industry of attacking a pop star on the internet on a daily basis? Such an important way to spend your time! What a phenomenal sense of empowerment must be derived! And these dullards are the very same ones questioning Morrissey's mental health! Does the tiny minority really believe that its incessant, insistent bleating of “Career over / Fans deserted” will somehow make it happen? Of course it won't. And every time they say so on here they simply look more stupid and more wrong than the last time they said so. If you DON'T care, just walk away and forget about him. If you DO care, you ought to have the insight to know that you'll never change anything. Surely impotence can't be that appealing?

You are correct. It IS all very subjective. And somebody has to make that call. Since it is davidt's site, it is him.

There will always be people who agree with his judgement. And those who oppose. Can't please everyone.

davidt's judgement:

people saying that Morrissey is a fat melodramatic lier and an idiot -> always on topic.
people saying that there's no point clinging to an artist that you don't like -> off topic, moved to a place where they won't be seen by anyone.

^^^ Great song. I love Quarry... I think more than most fans do.

I think it is a truly magnificent, thoughtful and courageous album, and has a thread of Britishness running through many of the songs. Come Back To Camden is so English it hurts. "Drinking tea with a taste of the Thames." What an image. Lovely. I do that every day. :) "And me and my heart, we knew. We just knew." This is superb stuff.

Even those songs with a foot firmly in the Americas are very good. America Is Not The World was a very brave opener, and although a centre point of the lyric has been overtaken by events it still manages to balance a real and obvious love of the US with pointed criticism.

First Of The Gang To Die is not only an album highlight, its a solo career highlight. A gem of a song. You could see the pride he had in this song on his TV appearances at the time. He knew it was good and he was right.

I know it divides opinion, but I rate it alongside both Viva Hate and Vauxhall & I as his best. I think history will be very kind to You Are The Quarry.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm a longtime lurker but seldom poster (here and online in general). I am glad I shared my story of that first listen to The Smiths and that it made a positive impact.

I guess I was inspired to post when I saw that The Smiths was named "Best album of 1984" by "Slicing Up Eyeballs" website. I'm sure many fans can recall an experience where it became crystal-clear in their consciousness that they had made a "deep connection" with The Smiths/Morrissey as their favorite musical artist. For me it was that long-ago rainy night first hearing The Smiths in my room - especially "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle" and "Suffer Little Children", both of which filled me with sublime awe and the realization that I was in the presence of both musical and lyrical genius. Well, genius and incredible sensitivity and empathy, because it wasn't just the intelligence of these songs (and the others) that grabbed me - it was also their heart.

This experience was, in hindsight, at the root of why I would collect all releases to follow, drive hundreds of miles to various concerts (my first being what would turn out to be THE "live in Dallas"), and why I find myself checking the web from time to time, nearly 30 years later, to keep up with what Morrissey's up to!

D

It was a terrific post and I think perhaps it took us both back a bit further in time than we were entirely comfortable with. :eek:

The Judy Garland analogy is a good one. She is someone who became uninsurable, whose record of concert cancellations makes Morrissey seem the very model of reliability. She also had a tiny minority of critics obsessively scrutinising every rumour and half-truth for “evidence” of her decline, repeatedly asserting over the last fifteen years of her life that her best work was behind her, that her career was over, that all her fans had given up on her – and yet the reverse was true. Every time a concert was announced it sold quickly and was received rapturously by those who were actually there (Sinatra and Tony Bennett hailed her concert career as greater than her MGM movies). And this was a pattern that continued until a few weeks before her death. Sounds familiar, huh?

I've lost count of the times over the last few years that I've read the confident assertions on here from a tiny minority that Morrissey's career was over, that his fans have deserted him, that oblivion was beckoning... and of course it's all untrue, totally lacking in understanding, insight and credibility and I'm never quite sure what the writers hope to achieve by posting such baloney. But still the attacks continue, now with the added nonsense of “and this is how he ought to live his life”. I'm not a blindly loyal apologist (because it seems that this is what you're accused of if you don't join in with the trolls), in fact I find his awful name puns excruciatingly childish, but, like most normal people, reading them doesn't inspire me to log on to this site and launch a lengthy, vitriolic “Get off the stage, you sad old man” attack, as some here do with tedious predictability and negligible provocation. Of course, it's ironic (but not unexpected) that the people who over-react in this way are also the same people who criticise Morrissey for his own apparent over-reaction and hyperbole.

What right does anyone have to start telling an artist how to live their life or to dictate the kind of work that the artist ought to be creating? That really is breathtaking arrogance. And if we're advocating interventions simply because saying or doing one thing or another is “unacceptable” to the tiny minority on here, then what about pointing the finger at those who seem addicted to the pointless, wasteful industry of attacking a pop star on the internet on a daily basis? Such an important way to spend your time! What a phenomenal sense of empowerment must be derived! And these dullards are the very same ones questioning Morrissey's mental health! Does the tiny minority really believe that its incessant, insistent bleating of “Career over / Fans deserted” will somehow make it happen? Of course it won't. And every time they say so on here they simply look more stupid and more wrong than the last time they said so. If you DON'T care, just walk away and forget about him. If you DO care, you ought to have the insight to know that you'll never change anything. Surely impotence can't be that appealing?

Judy Garland used to play Curly Joe's in Tierra del Fuego a lot did she?

Please provide proof in this statement in the form of actual links. Some posts that were not related to the topic and more related to complaints about users on the site were moved to the site feedback forum previously, if that is what you are referring to.

davidt's judgement:

people saying that Morrissey is a fat melodramatic lier and an idiot -> always on topic.
people saying that there's no point clinging to an artist that you don't like -> off topic, moved to a place where they won't be seen by anyone.

Does he/she make really crass comments when people have lost their lives to a nutter which is nothing compared to chickens losing their lives ?

Well, logically speaking 70 teenagers being shot by a nutter is nothing compared to 700 billion living beings being tortured on nightmarish, Holocaust-like factory farms for their whole lives. But of course, we shouldn't say this because we like our chicken sandwiches too much.

Please provide proof in this statement in the form of actual links. Some posts that were not related to the topic and more related to complaints about users on the site were moved to the site feedback forum previously, if that is what you are referring to.

Okay. Responding to this is sort of tiring because you know very well what I'm talking about. But instead of analysing your behaviour you decide to pretend that you don't understand a thing. It's human, but it's annoying.

I wrote this post as a test:

Morrissey's become just a useless old idiot that should understand that nobody's interested in him anymore. Anyone who doesn't see this is a moron.

I don't get the people that actually still like this guy. Are you retarded?

Why exactly is this relevant? How is this on topic? It is ridiculously unfair that people responding to posts like these get moved to some place where no one will ever see them. What is the point with the 'user rudeness complaints' thread? What's the problem with all people expressing their thoughts in this thread? The thread won't explode. It's very unfair that people responding to the haters will be moved somewhere where the haters won't see their responses. Please, let all people have their opinions heard.

If you look at the posts that were moved, they were directly related to complaints about users on the site not specific to the thread. If you want to respond to this highlighted post, it wouldn't be moved.

Okay. Responding to this is sort of tiring because you know very well what I'm talking about. But instead of analysing your behaviour you decide to pretend that you don't understand a thing. It's human, but it's annoying.

I wrote this post as a test:

Morrissey's become just a useless old idiot that should understand that nobody's interested in him anymore. Anyone who doesn't see this is a moron.

I don't get the people that actually still like this guy. Are you retarded?

Why exactly is this relevant? How is this on topic? It is ridiculously unfair that people responding to posts like these get moved to some place where no one will ever see them. What is the point with the 'user rudeness complaints' thread? What's the problem with all people expressing their thoughts in this thread? The thread won't explode. It's very unfair that people responding to the haters will be moved somewhere where the haters won't see their responses. Please, let all people have their opinions heard.

Well, logically speaking 70 teenagers being shot by a nutter is nothing compared to 700 billion living beings being tortured on nightmarish, Holocaust-like factory farms for their whole lives. But of course, we shouldn't say this because we like our chicken sandwiches too much.

I suppose it might also depend whether you possessed any sense of perspective or humanity.

No, we shouldn't say this because it is wrong.

No, we shouldn't say this because it is wrong.

Well, I personally think that when it comes to cold logic the statement makes perfect sense. But, of course the world isn't only about cold logic; the Norwegian tragedy maybe wasn't that big of a deal compared to a lot of immoral things taking place in the world, but pointing this out instantly after the tragedy is inhumane and inconsiderate. Let the families mourn in peace, it's not the right time for our political statements.

If you look at the posts that were moved, they were directly related to complaints about users on the site not specific to the thread. If you want to respond to this highlighted post, it wouldn't be moved.

I'd like to know why the off topic posts are a problem? I find it very problematic if all posts defending Morrissey / responding to the hateful atmosphere get moved to a place where they won't be seen. I mean, is it possible for any conversation to be completely on topic?

Btw: My apologies for calling you a dictator because it took a while for my posts to show up. I'm a newbie so I'm not familiar with the system yet. My bad.

My earlier posts and a big part of this thread can be found here: http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/126574-User-rudeness-complaints

I started to read this post but in my mind inadvertently slipped into the voice of Daniel Day Lewis after the second sentence. Unfortunately it was Daniel Day Lewis in My Left Foot.

The people derided as haters on here by the terminally dim are in fact the people who love his work the most and want more. We're the ones who hear Art-Hounds and aren't reminded of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. We are the ones who have eyes and ears with brains in between.

Post of the day! :lbf:

If threads go a bit off-topic it's not a big problem but if it starts to get in the way of conversation related to the original thread (as in this case, with 60+ posts), I'll go ahead and move them to a more appropriate thread. I don't know why you suggest they 'won't be seen' - I put a note to where they are moved and those interested can keep posting in this thread which is publicly visible just as all others.

I'd like to know why the off topic posts are a problem? I find it very problematic if all posts defending Morrissey / responding to the hateful atmosphere get moved to a place where they won't be seen. I mean, is it possible for any conversation to be completely on topic?

Btw: My apologies for calling you a dictator because it took a while for my posts to show up. I'm a newbie so I'm not familiar with the system yet. My bad.

I think it is a truly magnificent, thoughtful and courageous album, and has a thread of Britishness running through many of the songs. Come Back To Camden is so English it hurts. "Drinking tea with a taste of the Thames." What an image. Lovely. I do that every day. :) "And me and my heart, we knew. We just knew." This is superb stuff.

Even those songs with a foot firmly in the Americas are very good. America Is Not The World was a very brave opener, and although a centre point of the lyric has been overtaken by events it still manages to balance a real and obvious love of the US with pointed criticism.

First Of The Gang To Die is not only an album highlight, its a solo career highlight. A gem of a song. You could see the pride he had in this song on his TV appearances at the time. He knew it was good and he was right.

I know it divides opinion, but I rate it alongside both Viva Hate and Vauxhall & I as his best. I think history will be very kind to You Are The Quarry.

I had some friends over and we were listening to this cd last night. I love the way his voice sounds when he says “Oh, pretty one” in I Have Forgiven Jesus.

I know it divides opinion, but I rate it alongside both Viva Hate and Vauxhall & I as his best. I think history will be very kind to You Are The Quarry.[/B]

Very nice description of Quarry... equally having a British and American feel to it... thus appealing to many. I agree too that it will be regarded as one of his greats. :)

If threads go a bit off-topic it's not a big problem but if it starts to get in the way of conversation related to the original thread (as in this case, with 60+ posts), I'll go ahead and move them to a more appropriate thread. I don't know why you suggest they 'won't be seen' - I put a note to where they are moved and those interested can keep posting in this thread which is publicly visible just as all others.

But how are they getting in the way of conversation? I mean, are they really a problem? Practically? If the problem is only theoretical, is it a problem at all? The more relevant posts are very easy to find even if there are also posts that are off-topic. Wouldn't it just be easier for you and the posters if everybody was able to express their views in the thread that they're commenting on? Even the irrelevant posts were comments on the posts written by other posters in this thread.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom