Statement from Morrissey on medical problems and tour - TTY, 16 March 2013

U.S. tour - true-to-you.net

16 March 2013

U.S. tour

There are no plans to continue with the present U.S. tour due to Morrissey's ongoing medical problems, and dates will not be rescheduled. Morrissey is bitterly disappointed with this decision and he apologizes to everyone who has been inconvenienced.

"It takes a lifetime to find the right words, and at the moment, I haven't got them. I've been a colossal pain where this continuously unpredictable illness is concerned, and now the physical limits have been reached. The tour had, in fact, been fantastic for all of us - a new slice of life full of concentrated power. The audiences everywhere have given so much, although I know that neither of us will ever receive our due. I hope this isn't the end, and I hope there will be other chances, minus the heavy burden of illness. Knots of grief today, but full of resolve for tomorrow."

Morrissey, Mexico, 16 March.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Statement from Morrissey on medical problems and tour - TTY, 16 March 20

Patients with multi-drug resistant Klebsiella pneumonia are usually hospitalized, and typically intubated on a ventilator. It's very unlikely that Moz is walking around Mexico with MDR pneumonia. Also, the MDR problem is due to overuse of antibiotics, but not from eating meat from animals who received antibiotics. These bugs grow in people who have been on multiple long term doses of antibiotics, typically in the hospital.

First--Klebsiella. Whatever he first entered the hospital for, klebsiella is ordinarily picked up in the hospital via tubes, ventilator, urinary catheter for a urinary tract infection, etc. The immune system has to be suppressed already for this to happen. Many things can suppress it, including urinary tract infections (which are also becoming multi-drug resistant). When he entered the hospital for whatever else he supposedly had, he was already in danger of exposure to bad things--even more so if his immune system had been compromised by factors unknown to anyone but him and his doctors. Is he walking around Mexico City or in a SF hospital? You wouldn't know from the contradictory accounts. It probably isn't klebsiella. Or ndm-1. But--we are living in the era of the superbug and it is no joke. The point is to diagnose it and treat it correctly. Much of this gets misdiagnosed in America.

Secondly--meat. The overuse of antibiotics in animals on the farm (pigs, cows, chickens, etc) has made antibiotics less effective against bacteria that infect human beings. This does not happen because the human eats the meat (although it can with e. coli). Anyway, this wouldn't be a factor with the Morrisseys of this world. It happens because resistance develops on the farm through overuse of animal anti-biotics, a farm worker gets a resistant strain from an animal, and the farm worker then spreads it to co-workers, lovers, family, etc. Now it has entered the general population. While this hasn't happened with klebsiella yet, it has happened with staph. In general, it is unknown how much anti-biotics have been weakened as a result of farm use. But they have. From this, one gets: meat is murder. To be more technical--meat pumped full of growth anti-biotics which leads to drug resistance in the general population is murder.

Re: Article: Statement from Morrissey on medical problems and tour - TTY, 16 March 20

And its like he always said: "You're gonna miss me when I'm gone"

And its like he always said: "You're gonna miss me when I'm gone"

I thought Morrissey said, "I don't mind if you forget me." ;)

I so hope he's just relaxing, recuperating, and detoxing. My students were really the best today when I told them the whole tour was canned. :thumb: God, I love my job!

Hateful, hateful, hateful. It saddens me that so many of you are so rotten to the core. Shallow, full of vitriol and desperately angry at something or someone. To use the death of someone's family member, someone's friend, to sneer and snipe and wield your viscious words is beyond low. It's depraved. To mock other's sadness, to take a swipe at a statement remembering her. This is not about free speech - this is about abuse. And bullying. Take a long stare in the mirror. You can't possibly like what you see.
I didn't know Margaret but I knew of her and her death saddened me very much as I gathered from the kind words of others that she had struggled in her life. I do not want, nor need to know how she died. I was sad because human suffering, at all times, brings empathy, if you understand anything about being in pain. I was sad because she was one of ours - someone who loved Morrissey and all that he stands for and for those of you that will never understand that comradeship, well hey, just know that it is there.
To disregard that and use her very personal experience, or the words of Morrissey that recognise her pain (and if you know anything, you will know that he will know about her life) is appalling. Be very ashamed.

I thought Morrissey said, "I don't mind if you forget me." ;)

I so hope he's just relaxing, recuperating, and detoxing. My students were really the best today when I told them the whole tour was canned. :thumb: God, I love my job!

I took time off from work to see him in Las Vegas and my boss was bummed for me when I told her I wasnt going after all due to it being canceled. Everyone at my office is fully aware of my love for him. ;)

Last edited:
Re: Statement From Morrissey On Medical Problems And Tour - TTY, 16 March 2013

Morrissey actually did find the right words: this tour was fantastic. It was "full of concentrated power." You could feel it, and I feel very lucky indeed to have seen him at a few of these last, spectacular shows. I left those gigs electrified, wondering how he managed to maintain that level of spirit, artistry and energy even at this late date, with no new contract in sight and an ongoing war of attrition with the press that was leaving a wide swath of ill feeling and loads of collateral damage.

These cannot be good times for the man - in certain ways they must be fairly grim. Anyone who has ever been a performer (particularly a musician) knows what it is to be onstage, to feel that love and that power reflected back at you. Anyone who has had any level of fame or celebrity understands the unique pressures and responsibilities that go along with being the focus of the fantasies of hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of strangers. Even a taste of that kind of life is maddening - awful and addictive at once. Throw in depression and introversion and it's a wonder he's made it this far. As Morrissey has said so often: the sanest days are mad, and his brand of madness is unparalleled. There are plenty of other pop stars out there with fanatical followers and intense career trajectories, but Morrissey tops them all in terms of the intensity and religious fervor of his audience, and the obviously conflicted nature of that mutual relationship. Some artists (if they are very lucky and talented) reach that kind of crescendo for a few years - he's been living inside it for decades. It's hell to maintain, and it hurts terribly to let go.

"It takes a lifetime to find the right words, and at the moment, I haven't got them. I've been a colossal pain where this continuously unpredictable illness is concerned, and now the physical limits have been reached. The tour had, in fact, been fantastic for all of us - a new slice of life full of concentrated power. The audiences everywhere have given so much, although I know that neither of us will ever receive our due. I hope this isn't the end, and I hope there will be other chances, minus the heavy burden of illness. Knots of grief today, but full of resolve for tomorrow."

He's the most gifted lyricist/vocalist of his generation, and talent like that is rare and comes at a great personal cost. He may be gravely flawed as a human being, but he's singular and irreplaceable and like most geniuses he makes the impossible look easy. I hope that he continues to find inspiration in this life: to write his autobiography, write more lyrics, and most of all to sing.

We'll be waiting.

Anaesthesine, this is the most powerful post I've ever read on the subject of Morrissey's illness and that fact that he had to cancel his tour because of it. It was so refreshing to read. This is such a hard time for Morrissey and its great to know that someone else gets him and understands what he must be going thru. He is a special being and there will never be anyone like him ever again. He is the last great rock icon, genius and legend and we have to believe that he'll return stronger and healthier than ever. I read somewhere that someone wrote that "once Morrissey gets into your soul its a lifelong commitment". He got into my soul a long time ago and I've never been the same.
Yes, I'll wait for him if it takes forever. Playcat.

Anaesthesine, this is the most powerful post I've ever read on the subject of Morrissey's illness and that fact that he had to cancel his tour because of it. It was so refreshing to read. This is such a hard time for Morrissey and its great to know that someone else gets him and understands what he must be going thru. He is a special being and there will never be anyone like him ever again. He is the last great rock icon, genius and legend and we have to believe that he'll return stronger and healthier than ever. I read somewhere that someone wrote that "once Morrissey gets into your soul its a lifelong commitment". He got into my soul a long time ago and I've never been the same.

Thanks for emboldening that epic post. That made it so much more powerful!

Thanks Playcat. :)

As I've said many times: I haven't always been a huge Morrissey fan, but when I went through a rough patch he was there, singing what I needed to hear. I don't like blind worship or cults of personality, but I do recognize Morrissey's singular talents and I appreciate his (fitful) presence in my life over the last few decades. Yes, he is a strangely compelling, lifelong presence in a way that can be less than positive for many people (as this site so vividly illustrates every single day).

He's one of the Quiet ones who decided to make some noise. Thank goodness for that.

I don't know...am I?

Stop speaking in riddles Gretchen.
All you need is me may not have been the best song in his catalogue but it certainly fits the theme clever cloggs.

Stop speaking in riddles Gretchen.
All you need is me may not have been the best song in his catalogue but it certainly fits the theme clever cloggs.

Who is Gretchen?

Hey Viva, you hateful bitch. That avatar sure fits your foul mood.

Riddle me this - What does your brain and avatar have in common?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom