Morrissey's Autobiography / Penguin Books (UK) deal [updated] - true-to-you.net

UPDATE Sep. 13, 3:05PM PT:

link posted by jbabz:

Clarification - true-to-you.net
13 September 2013

The publication of Morrissey's Autobiography remains with Penguin Books.

This is a deal for the UK and Europe, but Morrissey has no contract with a publisher for the U.S. or any other territory.

As of 13 September, Morrissey and Penguin (UK) remain determined to publish within the next few weeks.

Statement
- true-to-you.net
12 September 2013

Although Morrissey's Autobiography was set to be available throughout the UK on September 16th, a last-minute content disagreement between Penguin Books and Morrissey has caused the venture to collapse. No review copies were printed, and Morrissey is now in search of a new publisher.

UPDATE - media coverage:

The Story of Morrissey's Autobiography Keeps Getting Weirder by ALEXANDER ABAD-SANTOS - The Atlantic Wire

Excerpt:

But two spokespeople in Penguin's New York headquarters said they had no knowledge of any plans for publication.

A spokeswoman for Penguin's U.K. arm was a little more revealing when reached via email about Morrissey's latest signal to fans about the book.

"How nice that he seemed to say yes," said the spokeswoman, Rosie Glaisher. "Here's hoping."

But she added: "Nothing on the schedule at this time."

And then there's this comment to The Guardian this morning:

Penguin has refused to confirm or deny that the book was due to be published, or even the existence of the reported deal with the singer.

Morrissey autobiography deal has collapsed, says semi-official fan site by Liz Bury - The Guardian

Morrissey pulls his autobiography days before release - BBC.co.uk

Excerpt:

A Penguin Books spokeswoman said there would be no comment on the issue.

Link/excerpt posted by HangtheDJ16:

Is Morrissey’s autobiography a book that will never come out? by Nick Clark - The Independent
Singer announces 11th-hour split from publishers – despite no evidence the book was anywhere near finished

Excerpt:

Lee Brackstone, creative director of Faber, said it was the “first I’d heard” about next week’s supposed publication. “I can’t see how they could turn the book around that quickly and nobody seems to know anything about it. It seems like mischief to me.”

Mr Brackstone had written an open letter to Morrissey in 2010 to woo him to the publisher, though “only half seriously” and continued in a similar tone yesterday. “I’ve grown out of it. All I can say is: that joke isn’t funny any more.”

He added: “It will be a wonderful book and I love him – he’s a hero to so many people and remains a vital influence in this moribund culture he constantly challenges. But working with him? I’m not sure I’ve the strength and fortitude much as I’d love to.”

One industry insider said: “There is simply no evidence of this book in existence. It would be on the radar of bookshops, certainly wholesalers. How else would it get sold? Out of the boot of his car?”

Morrissey’s autobiography was not listed as due for publication on the Nielsen Index, nor was it given an International Standard Book Number (ISBN) code which it would have been had it been coming out next week, according to the industry insider.
autobiography_artwork_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
to my defense, i said the faux-cover on true-to-you is impossible. i know it ain't happening but as a book lover who's been in the business for years, it makes me smile a lot...he's so ridiculously adorable and impossible at the same time.
also...as a fan and book seller, i'm still not assured that his autobiography will be published at all. the book world does not work like he seems to be portraying to the public-it just doesn't, but this is moz??? hopelessly hopeful and in love with the man no matter what.

The Penguin Classics with the black spine and black title box on the cover are for 19th century authors. All dead. Penguin Modern Classics quite often change their livery. Currently the collection have white spines. The cover is a full page art work with the authors name and book title on the cover. The Orange covered Penguin Classics are for both collections, although not all titles from both collections appear there. The orange titles retail for a much lower price.

I doubt very much the mock cover is the real cover as a new author can't have a Penguin Classic straight away. Let alone a cover with the livery reserved for 19 Century authors.

All these comments are fine and good, but I am in the States and WANT THIS BOOK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. What would be the best way to buy this book? Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

Clint Curtis
Fromthebar.me

Amazon UK. I bought many British books and autobiographies there...as well as a few DVDs. No free shipping to us Yankees, but heck...

have emailed two people i know at penguin. though not directly involved with this project one of the suggestions was that the book was supposed to be being announced on monday for pre-sale, pre-order on amazon etc. ie it would be "available" to be ordered with a publication set some time in the future. thats why there were no "review copies printed". But its not finished... and not ready... And that cover is a mock up not the real thing.

That's part of what a "little birdie" told someone who told someone who told me, etc. It was Foyles at midnight, then Birmingham' new Library, then Manchester (don't know where) and either Glasgow/E'bro. Signing 'blank' copies! LOL! Then the pre-order. It IS finished, at least the first part is, or so I'm told by *someone* who doesn't usually bullshit like me. The book is finished, but it's a 'trilogy' to max revenue, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Like LOTR/Hobbit, in time for Santa each year. Lots of slebs write autobiographies on an industrial scale, Katie Price seems to write one everytime she changes his bust size or dumps another husband. I'm sure Morrissey's autobiography will be just as entertaining, but for different reasons. There's no review copies and won't be until the launch date is decided, the plan is still for Santa to deliver. Morrissey is adamant that he won't accept any 'feedback' prior to the public getting their mits on it, so is not keen at all for the Commentariat to have first option. Just like JK Rowling and others. That makes me hopeful it's going to be a humdinger for many reasons, including mad anecdotes, facepalm polemics and a minor insight into why he thought it was worth spending a Civil Service Career length 30 years on this stuff, rather than vanish after he ran out of fuel.

Some or all of this may be reliable, gossip, speculation or mischievous invention. Don't worry, I have 'left the building', just thought I'd come back for another curtain call/bow/round of applause.

With every good wish, yours in flagrante delicto!

"BrummieBoy"

Let's face it - Moz lives in a dream world. He's clearly losing touch with reality.

Have to agree, it really is a shame to see how he has let his ingredients get so liquidized into a mushy horrid gloop un-fit for consumption (Messy-Solo).
He's so out of touch he's like the last dinosaur on earth, the Morriasaurus.
To think he's spent time colluding this book controversy just to try to generate interest in an artist who no longer deals in or produces any new art. Why not just write "The Morrissey Christmas cookbook" and gain a new fanbase to add to the ultras who would buy his tinned-bottom-burps ?

Christmas is coming and the coffers are looking thin,
So please put some penny's in the old Dino's tin.

Benny-the-Butcher

Exactly what I theorised a few pages back.
Doesn't mean it's right, but it seemed the most the most logical explanation.

have emailed two people i know at penguin. though not directly involved with this project one of the suggestions was that the book was supposed to be being announced on monday for pre-sale, pre-order on amazon etc. ie it would be "available" to be ordered with a publication set some time in the future. thats why there were no "review copies printed". But its not finished... and not ready... And that cover is a mock up not the real thing.

Well if it is a three parter then I hope the other parts are ready. Still waiting for Bob Dylan Chronicles II. Come on Robert! Which period are people most excited to know about, Heady Smiths days making of the Queen is dead, Dublin / Primrose Hill, L.A. Italy?

Well if it is a three parter then I hope the other parts are ready. Still waiting for Bob Dylan Chronicles II. Come on Robert! Which period are people most excited to know about, Heady Smiths days making of the Queen is dead, Dublin / Primrose Hill, L.A. Italy?

The day he drove to Dundee in his bare feet.

I'd be very happy if the first volume - if that is what it is - ended with Viva Hate. It would encapsulate his most creative and important period.

The Bob Dylan autobiography is magnificent. I long for the other volumes too.

- - - Updated - - -

Fixed it again...

NN2FvR5.jpg

P.

Fantastic! The real one will not measure up to that. Absolutely perfect.

Does anyone think he might record an audiobook version himself, or fob it off to some actor? Or even do one at all?

Does anyone think he might record an audiobook version himself, or fob it off to some actor? Or even do one at all?

I've not heard anything like that on the grapevine, and would be amazed if he made that decision. He's not a trained Thespian like me, and struggles with interviews sometimes. I think his 'lucky lisp' might detract from the content rather than add to it. I'm sure he's been offered a huge sum to do that so the David Brent types driving around can fantasize they're actually a "pop star" rather than a middle-management drone. Yes, an amusing parlour game would be to think of who could read it on his behalf. Stephen Fry would be too much. I'd sugest Rupert Everett who, if he wasn't being mischievous, could probably make a reasonable fist of it. A woman's voice would be an amusing trope. Or, there's always that lookalike on "Hollywood Me!"...Or the really radical one would be for him to intone it into some speech recognition software and do a Kraftwerk-Vocoder version. That would *confused.com* everyone! LOL..

I'm looking forward to it, in particular to see if it's actually written by Morrissey or by some ghost-writers...

I'm leaving this site now, but always remember: I love you all! Don't forget me! [exeunt stage right]

WEGWYIJ!

"bRUMMIEbOY"

Have you done "Miserable Lie" yet?

I was thinking "All Those Lies" would have been a good title too, as it appears in both a Smiths song and a Moz solo song, viz. The Queen Is Dead ("All those lies about make up and long hair...") and Speedway ("All those lies, written lies..."). Maybe I could do one more.

P.

Back
Top Bottom