NME: "Rick Astley tells us about his Glastonbury secret set of Smiths covers with Blossoms" (June 24, 2023)

Rick-Astley-and-Blossoms-Kentish-Town-Forum-13.9.21-c-Peter-Neill-1-1392x884.jpg

Astley on the reactions of Morrissey and Johnny Marr, and what it means to play Glasto: "I know it’s sacrilege and they should hang the lot of us on the line for doing it, but I also just don’t care"

Rick Astley/Blossoms play Smiths set at Glastonbury

I love how he keeps checking the screen in front of him for the lyrics, bless him. But they sound pretty great! (Also, it looks at least 35 / 95 degrees in that tent, I hope Rick doesn't have a heart attack)

Would be flat out hilarious if they broke out "Suffer Little Children"...

It feels like a very stark way of illustrating that these songs could only have been written by a deeply strange, brilliant, troubled, hilarious, twisted human being. (And Johnny Marr.)

Ah yes, that early classic "The Devil Will Find Work" (via BBC News website)

View attachment 92247
I put "WDDIM (with falsetto)" initially in my setlist on page 1 before tidying it up...
I'm guessing the 'journalist' didn't know the abbreviated track name 🤔
👋 BBC.
FWD.

Ah yes, that early classic "The Devil Will Find Work" (via BBC News website)

View attachment 92247
Relax, not everyone is a hopeless Smiths/Morrissey nut.

I’m watching it on a bit of a delay, Astley and the band are knocking one out in the park. Just enjoy it.

Last edited:
Rick Astley and The Blossoms are gonna get themselves....cancelled!

‘Don’t stop us now’: tribute acts protest against Facebook ban

An Aussie Dolly Parton is one of the performers protesting to Meta as a ban on impersonators threatens their careers

If you’ve watched Rick Nasty singing The Smiths you’ll realize how shit someone else is at singing Morrissey’s lyrics. Music is ok.

Verdict: Skip and watch a Morrissey/Smiths gig on YouTube.

Why the f*** isn’t Morrissey headlining ffs!

Very sweet post Smiths set interview with Rick Astley and Tom Ogden(?) from Blosssoms. Very complimentary about Morrissey as a vocalist and NO BUTS!!! On iplayer

Very sweet post Smiths set interview with Rick Astley and Tom Ogden(?) from Blosssoms. Very complimentary about Morrissey as a vocalist and NO BUTS!!! On iplayer
During the interview with Jo Whiley, Rick didn’t mention Morrissey at all. Ok, he did compliment Morrissey and the way he sings the lyrics, but he never once mentioned Morrissey. Un-f***ing-forgivable.

Watched the whole set on iplayer. The band were good but Astley was awful and fairly unprofessional in terms of timing and needing the lyrics on a screen in front of him. He tries to belt the songs out and it just doesnt suit. He was the weakest link by far.

I see the reviews on social media are putting the boot in on dear ol' Mozzer for being a reactionary c*** nowadays... . Like he only wrote the f***ing songs ffs

Back
Top Bottom