"Playboys" and "Kill Uncle" remastered both fail to make Top 100 UK charts

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
Re: Article: "Playboys" and "Kill Uncle" remastered both fail to make Top 100 UK char

kill uncle should have never crawled out of it's grave...should have stayed in the hole. should've released the re-masters of arsenal and vauxhall.

Re: Playboys and Kill Uncle remastered both fail to make top 100 UK charts

Perhaps it's just me but Kill Uncle was always one of my favourite albums. It just seems such a shame that "artists" and yes I am using that term loosely, such as one direction or pitbull seem to take the majority of single and album sales.

If we need facts, you have just pointed out a very important one: the only 'artists' that chart well are those that appeal to twelve year old girls, country singers, rappers, and people who prostituted themselves on American Idol. At least that is the case in the US. An intelligent, uniquely talented song writer has no hope of being even marginally recognized. Sadly, I do not see this changing. Can anyone seriously say that One Direction, Taylor Swift, or Beyonce deserve greater recognition than Morrissey? Mass popularity correlates to mediocrity; it always has, and most likely always will.

lynnda

Well said viva

The blokes an arshole at the moment. America has killed him. He has no new songs. No book. No record deal. No real band. No belonging to Manchester. It would not surprise me if he funded the I R A the way he goes on.

P Hogg

Yes, we American bullies collectively put a gun to Morrissey's head and forced him to write People are the Same Everywhere. (We felt the need to punish the English because of that horrible James Blunt you sent us a few years back.) A bit unfair considering he hasn't lived here for years. Morrissey holds the pen; he needs to find adequate inspiration to use it properly. While I agree that he needs to get back on track lyrically, I doubt that even if he produced something profoundly beautiful it would chart well. The masses like mindless, meaningless shit.

Re: Article: "Playboys" and "Kill Uncle" remastered both fail to make Top 100 UK char

we all know what chart music is like these days, it is no secret. Yes we can bemoan the industry all we want but thats not the reason for this poor charting. Really was anyone expecting either to place in the top 100?

it is sad the way music has gone but the time is now for moz to accept this and move with the times

he still has 1 great album in him, its really his decisions (or lack of) which will change this in the near future.

if he was too release an album and 'play the game' like others have mentioned he could well get a number 1 album - but that is some way off were we are at now

get alain back

Last edited by a moderator:

Of course they didn't chart.

Sigh...
As much as I love the man, he needs to pull his head out of his ass and realize that the world has changed around him, ESPECIALLY the record industry.
What he wants no longer exists, and even if it did, would likely pass him over at this stage in his career.

I suppose I can always live in hope that Rick Rubin comes along and "Johnny Cash"es him before he dies. IF Moz would listen to anybody apart from himself, and what I suppose are a core group of yes men at his service.

It would certainly be interesting, but I doubt Rick Rubin would put up with the diva melisma tantrums. Or being told what to eat.

If we need facts, you have just pointed out a very important one: the only 'artists' that chart well are those that appeal to twelve year old girls, country singers, rappers, and people who prostituted themselves on American Idol. At least that is the case in the US. An intelligent, uniquely talented song writer has no hope of being even marginally recognized. Sadly, I do not see this changing. Can anyone seriously say that One Direction, Taylor Swift, or Beyonce deserve greater recognition than Morrissey? Mass popularity correlates to mediocrity; it always has, and most likely always will.

lynnda

Of course One Direction, Taylor Swift and Beyonce deserve greater recognition. The sell more cultural products and experiences, so it's fairly obvious they deserve more recognition. I can just picture Morrissey doing the Superbowl...LOL! Morrissey isn't 'uniquely talented'. Have you heard of Shakespeare?

Mass popularity correlates to mediocrity; it always has, and most likely always will.

Morrissey could remaster and re-release Kill Uncle every year till the sun explodes. It will never be popular with the masses, but will always be massively mediocre.

Is this actually surprising? Do releases/remasters usually chart or sell significantly? Minus a few rare occasions? Or I am totally off on this one?

Yes, we American bullies collectively put a gun to Morrissey's head and forced him to write People are the Same Everywhere. (We felt the need to punish the English because of that horrible James Blunt you sent us a few years back.) A bit unfair considering he hasn't lived here for years. Morrissey holds the pen; he needs to find adequate inspiration to use it properly. While I agree that he needs to get back on track lyrically, I doubt that even if he produced something profoundly beautiful it would chart well. The masses like mindless, meaningless shit.

and Morrissey wants an international capitalist music corporation with a large press and P.R department and budget to bring his exciting new demos to the masses, so they can enjoy that mindless, meaningless shit....do you see the irony in your final sentence? Probably not, as you're a Morrissey cult prisoner. I will pray for your release and return to consensual reality.

SHOCKED! Other than the dreadful, forgettable and shit Southpaw Grammar it was his most horrific album. Why for the love of God re-issue shit?? It's out there. Buy it, steal it, borrow it, whatever. No need to do it again, it won't make it better. Make some f*cking proper tunes (not those three shit tunes played live of late) and people will BUY it.

I don't think anyone expected KU or LOTFIP to chart very high, but it is slightly surprising (not to mention a bummer:()that neither broke into the top 100.

I would imagine the target audience would be hardcore Morrissey fans and perhaps new fans that didn't purchase the original. The problem (as stated by others on this forum already) is that about 100% of us big fans already own KU and the rerelease isn't offering any new songs or expanded such as "Southpaw Grammar" or "Bona Drag". I did preorder it just for the remaster and completion's sake, but could understand why even an avid fan might skip it.

In the case of LOTFIP, he is offering songs that have not be released previously. I had higher hopes for the single...alas...

I do believe that Morrissey has at least one great album in him, but something has to give. I fear him may have to suffer some more commercial upsets before he realizes a change must be made. It is so frustrating because we all know he can do it, he's getting in his own way!

Last edited:

Of course One Direction, Taylor Swift and Beyonce deserve greater recognition. The sell more cultural products and experiences, so it's fairly obvious they deserve more recognition. I can just picture Morrissey doing the Superbowl...LOL! Morrissey isn't 'uniquely talented'. Have you heard of Shakespeare?

Mass popularity correlates to mediocrity; it always has, and most likely always will.

Morrissey could remaster and re-release Kill Uncle every year till the sun explodes. It will never be popular with the masses, but will always be massively mediocre.

One Direction, Taylor Swift and Beyonce all make music that gets airplay. Taylor Swift- writes her own songs and plays her own music (guitar) Being 43 miles away from Nashville TN, I know that every one of her songs that gets mainstream airplay also has a country version- girl is double-dipping both genres. One Direction...their songs are earworms. Plain and simple. The band who played my niece's wedding played One Direction and Beyonce songs...I don't know anyone (including me) who played The Smiths or Morrissey at their wedding! Beyonce'....whether you like her rhino purse or not...she came into this deal with money. Her songs are catchy. Let's face it: kids like YOUNG artists. I found ONE student who likes Barry Manilow, who BTW, is 67, has a recording contract (released a new album in 2011) and is touring. Moz and The Smiths get limited airplay on the college radio station I stream online, but they're not featured regularly.

Meanwhile, over on the Train forums they're ecstatic that Hey Soul Sister has reentered at #78.

That song is, seriously, the worst song I've ever heard.

Jabbing my ear with a sharp pencil...ugh! Just the mention of that song has triggered an earworm attack. Thanks.
Actually Train is the worst band I ever heard....and I don't throw that title around very often. The "Save Me San Francisco" song made me finally turn off mainstream radio.

I worked with a guy who would go insane every time he heard the song. He sat in the office next door and we would lock our office, crank the song up and watch him freak out through the window. Good times. Terrible band.

I worked with a guy who would go insane every time he heard the song. He sat in the office next door and we would lock our office, crank the song up and watch him freak out through the window. Good times. Terrible band.

I'm with that guy. For real. I hate, hate that song.

There was nothing really for me to buy here. New pictures? Radio sessions? Meh.

I wouldn't expect either of these to do much in the charts.. or any other reissue.

Seems like even the most ardent of acolytes are wearying of this reissue, remaster, re-organise the tracks on every album he has released. The Great Mancunian Rip-Off.

Hopefully he will leave well alone concerning Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and concentrate his efforts on remastering World Of Morrissey and put a photo of Tyson Fury in the front cover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyson_Fury

Losing in front of your home town?

Does anyone know how many copies the album/singles that DID chart at #100 this week actually sold? It would be interesting to get a rough idea of just how few copies of Kill Uncle/Playboys were shifted. If the figures are that low, and EMI aren't making any money out of it, I wonder if they will cancel the proposed 'Your Arsenal' and 'Vauxhall' remasters?
Actually, given Morrissey's bizarre tinkering choices, I wouldn't mind if they were cancelled.

Question... There's this displeasure with the way Morrissey presents his re-issues. Dropping tracks off the "Maladjusted" re-issue, hacking an entire verse out of "Ouija Board", dropping "The Ordinary Boys" and oddly editing "Late Night Maudlin Street", and now "Kill Uncle".

My question for you is, it appears "Your Arsenal" would be next to be re-issued. Would fans be happy with the following? Or continue to gripe that they already have all this stuff?

CD 1:

Your Arsenal, original album remastered. Keeping in tact the original UK album version of "Tomorrow"
11. Jack the Ripper (Studio)
12. You've Had Her
13. Let The Right One Slip In (original version, not the long version)
14. There Speaks a True Friend
15. Tomorrow (US single version)

CD 2: "Beethoven Was Deaf" (the entire show) - Remastered

Presented in a high-gloss Deluxe Edition pack.
Original artwork presented
Full colour high-gloss booklet includes all lyrics, rare photographs, artwork for the album's singles.

I know we have the songs, but with the remastering, seems like a much better package than what we've been getting.

Back
Top Bottom