Record Store Day 2024: "Interlude" limited edition gold vinyl released today (April 20, 2024)

IMG_20240419_162836 (1).jpg

IMG_20240419_163052 (1).jpg
IMG_20240419_163023 (2).jpg
IMG_20240419_162929 (2).jpg
IMG_20240419_162910 (1).jpg

(Credit: FWD's copy).

First released as a 7", 12", Cassette and CD: August 8, 1994 and charting in the UK at number 25.
There is no matrix message on the gold vinyl.
Colourised art credit given to Esteban and (Darren) Evans.
Original sleeve credits were given to:
Sleeve: Whores In Retirement
Layout: Green Ink
Front cover photo: Roger Mayne
Photo used:
The "Girl Jiving" (1957) by Roger Mayne.
(Also known as: "Girl Jiving, Southam Street").
It was later used in a colourised form as a tour backdrop and first observed at Vicar Street, Dublin during Bonfire Of Teenagers (July 15, 2023).

The subject of the image was Eileen Sheekey:

4092930966_f2c6695d0b_b.jpg

(Credit: @davidt / @Kewpie via Peter / morrissey-solo.com - 2009)

Approximately one month after the usage of said image, it was an industry rumour that Interlude would be the 2024 Record Store Day release.
There are conflicting reports as to the amount made for RSD coupled with reported regional supply issues, but previous RSDs have been circa 3000-5000 copies.

The original release:

hi_1994_interlude12_1.jpg

(Credit: Vulgar Picture via Wayback).

Colourised backdrop:
("File:Girl Jiving ( Eileen Sheekey ) colored by Janay Miranda - Brazil.png" / Wikipedia).

Girl_Jivin_colour.png

(Credit: Pinterest).

Original labels:

R-492783-1416788963-4886 (1) (1).jpg
R-492783-1416788963-8234 (1) (1) (1).jpg

(Credit: Discogs).

Initial reports at the time suggested that Morrissey and Siouxsie had recorded Timi's "Hurt". It is unknown if it was ever recorded or was just misreported.

siouxsie_mm_1993.jpg

(Credit: Melody Maker, September 1993 via mdmarchive).

Georges Delerue and Hal Shaper's song featured in the film of the same name: Interlude (1968).
Soundtrack:

c41f3e2b3e09141e77e5948133e12e9a37627127.jpg

Original Timi version:

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Me when the RSD release was announced: "Nah, great single but much too exepensive and the record industry is milking the artist. Thank you but NO etc...."
VS
Me yesterday:
Interlude.jpg

Last edited:
Picked one up off ebay for 50 quid, i'd rather pay a bit more because travelling to the nearest indie shop on top of the 25 quid would have cost roughly the same.
" so till then, sweet friend.... "

Humerous? If only. Just being honest and straight to the point, I guess. It's yer money I'm after, baby

Yes, it’s ‘all about the money’ :rolleyes: as one member likes to redundantly and wrongly state.

If only Morrissey and Warners would do it all for free.

Bought a few Moz RSD releases over the years but I'm quite happy to skip this one.
I have the original 12" in excellent condition and that will do for me.
I'd rather see someone who has never owned a copy pick one up.
If I hit the records shops this year it would have been for The Gentle Waves or The Who.

I used to do Record Store Day, but prices have ballooned so much, I'm not bothering trying to be a completest with this things anymore. This release looks nice, but I really can't justify paying nearly £30 for something I'll probably play a couple of times, then will just vanish into my collection never to see the light of day again.

I can understand why people who don't collect vinyl don't get RSD - I do and I still think the prices are shocking, but, a lot of the people who collect records nowadays come from the CD/Streaming generation. It's more of a novelty item for them - a way for them to have a physical copy of an album or song they love and it feels a bit more notable than a CD. Additionally, since they come from the CD/Streaming generation, they are used to paying these prices whereas "back in the day" records were a lot cheaper. I mean, I only got one thing from RSD, which is all I wanted anyway but it certainly doesn't attract an older crowd. Anyway, if you're going to get mad the pricing for vinyl nowadays - get mad at HMV.

1994 - 'heavy sigh" Now that was a time for a Morrissey fan unimaginable today. Steady releases of outstanding singles along with brilliant albums until they stopped in 1997 not to resume until 2004. Well sorta

I can understand why people who don't collect vinyl don't get RSD - I do and I still think the prices are shocking, but, a lot of the people who collect records nowadays come from the CD/Streaming generation. It's more of a novelty item for them - a way for them to have a physical copy of an album or song they love and it feels a bit more notable than a CD. Additionally, since they come from the CD/Streaming generation, they are used to paying these prices whereas "back in the day" records were a lot cheaper. I mean, I only got one thing from RSD, which is all I wanted anyway but it certainly doesn't attract an older crowd. Anyway, if you're going to get mad the pricing for vinyl nowadays - get mad at HMV.
You are of course correct: it’s simply an opportunity to throw more vinyl at longstanding collectors.

I think the issue for me is that RSD had an apparent positive mission of raising the ‘footfall’ in record stores—for the benefit of more physical customers with obvious knock-on effects for the wider high street.

But it seems to be increasingly alienating to me: I buy vinyl, and I want to stay away (I’m going to try and pick up the Fun Boy Three record later online)—the rhetoric and the reality are becoming different things. And music lovers are perhaps becoming increasingly cynical about it. I accept the maths must make it worthwhile for now, but if fairly committed vinyl lovers are loathing it, it will surely start having a negative impact on perceptions of record shops.

The re-release of Little Richard’s Right Now! On ‘sun flare’ vinyl looks very sexy though. And a realistic price at £24.

reading above the sheekey family had 11 girls and 1 boy
Yes. Christopher, aka "Toff."
Taylor wrote a song about him.

She's going to release multiple colour vinyl versions of it on RSD 2025.
She won't sell any because every human on the planet will be dead.
In 2026, she'll sing a new song, "Polyvinyl Chloride", from her new album, "Landfill" to absolutely nobody.

Miraculously, Morrissey will still be around, and, convinced that she could be "a big help" for his career, he will ask if she "needs backing vocals for that?"

Last edited:
Pretty nice looking cover, sleeve, and disc. I love the choice of colors and the fonts as well.

We were just recently chatting about how he needs to get back to using his artistic eye when designing his modern-day sleeves.

Banquet Records seem to have some for sale at 24.99
Rough Trade has a queue to get into site, so Banquet Records would be better and quicker if you're looking

This will still be available from stores by the time the next RSD rolls round, and prob for a lot cheaper than the ridiculous asking price.

It’s always annoyed me, this single. The backing is gorgeous, the individual vocals are great … but it’s just two vocals pasted over one another. You can tell they didn’t interact in a studio. In some parts of the song they’re not even in time with one another.

It could have been spectacular, if they’d bothered with harmonies, and some genuine call and response. When Siouxsie goes up as Moz stays down it sounds great, but you can tell that was just a happy accident. It’s the only good bit of layering in the whole thing.

It genuinely sounds like what someone inexperienced might come up with if handed the component tracks to the song. Literally just thrown together.

I think I would pick just about anyone but Siouxsie for a Morrissey duet, they don't sound good together

Back
Top Bottom