RTE: "How The Smiths' Irish tour turned incendiary - Documentary On One" (August 18, 2023)

How The Smiths' Irish tour turned incendiary - Documentary On One

001b3395-500.jpg

In November, 1984, The Smiths' lead singer Morrissey praised the IRA for an assassination attempt on Margaret Thatcher and turned their upcoming Irish tour into a political storm.
Louder Than Bombs is the story of a tour like no other.

Below, programme maker David Coughlan writes for Culture about this week’s Documentary on One production.

Written piece (with lots of historical images) to accompany the podcast - stands on its own as an article.
Worth a read.
Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Not like Morrissey at all, to say something incendiary...
:lbf:

Lol. Back then though, his criticisms were far more damning and fatalistic in nature than they are now.

However, because he was famous (and remained so) when he said these things, they will be known and associated with him forever. Ahhh...youth! :D

Not just youth - he was still supporting the IRA in 2011.

(There's no sign that he approved of the IRA killing people - but he does support their cause & blames the UK for the situation.)

Last edited:
Not just youth - he was still supporting the IRA in 2011.
Are you suggesting that supporting a united Ireland and wanting the British monarchy to have no sovereignty over any part of the island of Ireland is synonymous with supporting the IRA? What nonsense. The SDLP support that. Most parties in the Irish Republic would support that. Many left wingers in the Labour Party would support that. It's not synonymous with supporting the IRA.
What IRA do you mean? The Provisional IRA via their political wing Sinn Féin ended violence in 1998 by signing the Good Friday Agreement. Are you suggesting that Morrissey supports the Continuity IRA?

Are you suggesting that supporting a united Ireland and wanting the British monarchy to have no sovereignty over any part of the island of Ireland is synonymous with supporting the IRA? What nonsense. The SDLP support that. Most parties in the Irish Republic would support that. Many left wingers in the Labour Party would support that. It's not synonymous with supporting the IRA.
What IRA do you mean? The Provisional IRA via their political wing Sinn Féin ended violence in 1998 by signing the Good Friday Agreement. Are you suggesting that Morrissey supports the Continuity IRA?

He hadn't changed his mind about his support of the Provisional Irish Republican Army or their aims.

He hadn't changed his mind about his support of the Provisional Irish Republican Army or their aims.
Before a gig in Letterkenny Community Centre, the band were approached by republicans who wanted to make a speech before the Smiths went onstage. They refused.

Before a gig in Letterkenny Community Centre, the band were approached by republicans who wanted to make a speech before the Smiths went onstage. They refused.

The crew were worried about security.

Morrissey said in 2011 that Bobby Sands was a political prisoner, not a criminal. He's very clear about the issue & had 30 years to think about it.

As recently as the turn of the 1980s, the Queen supported Margaret Thatcher by not dismissing Thatcher as she allowed hunger strikers to die at the Maze Prison, most famously Bobby Sands, who was 27 years old. As Sands starved to death in protest at being tagged a 'criminal' and not a 'political prisoner' by the Thatcher Government, the Queen sat in her Palace and said nothing.

Bobby Sands was in the IRA.

Sands-Elected-April-1981.png

The crew were worried about security.

Morrissey said in 2011 that Bobby Sands was a political prisoner, not a criminal. He's very clear about the issue & had 30 years to think about it.

As recently as the turn of the 1980s, the Queen supported Margaret Thatcher by not dismissing Thatcher as she allowed hunger strikers to die at the Maze Prison, most famously Bobby Sands, who was 27 years old. As Sands starved to death in protest at being tagged a 'criminal' and not a 'political prisoner' by the Thatcher Government, the Queen sat in her Palace and said nothing.

Bobby Sands was in the IRA.

View attachment 94473
I know Bobby Sands was in the IRA.
Again, you really don't know what you are talking about. The SDLP supported the demands of those on hunger strike to be treated as political prisoners. So did most of the parties in the Republic of Ireland. So did many left wing members of the Labour Party. So did the Catholic Church in Ireland. So did many politicians in the USA. That's not synonymous with supporting the IRA.
The deaths of the hunger strikers caused a wave of horror and revulsion towards the Thatcher government across nationalist Ireland. Moz voiced that in the interview when he said, the sorrow of the Brighton bombing is that Thatcher escaped unscathed, as well as his own punk anti-monarchy views that go back to the 1970s.
The idea that comment means Morrissey generally supported the IRA, and still did in 2011, is just nonsense.

I know Bobby Sands was in the IRA.
Again, you really don't know what you are talking about. The SDLP supported the demands of those on hunger strike to be treated as political prisoners. So did most of the parties in the Republic of Ireland. So did many left wing members of the Labour Party. So did the Catholic Church in Ireland. So did many politicians in the USA. That's not synonymous with supporting the IRA.
The deaths of the hunger strikers caused a wave of horror and revulsion towards the Thatcher government across nationalist Ireland. Moz voiced that in the interview when he said, the sorrow of the Brighton bombing is that Thatcher escaped unscathed, as well as his own punk anti-monarchy views that go back to the 1970s.
The idea that comment means Morrissey generally supported the IRA, and still did in 2011, is just nonsense.

In 2013, in Loaded, he said of Thatcher, "she hated the Irish freedom fighters".

People who supported the IRA called them freedom fighters.

In 2013, in Loaded, he said of Thatcher, "she hated the Irish freedom fighters".

People who supported the IRA called them freedom fighters.
Joe Biden would probably use that term about the hunger strikers, as would most of nationalist Ireland, as would many on the left of the Labour Party. That doesn't mean they would also support the IRA killing civilians. Moz was referring specifically to Margaret Thatcher and was obviously alluding to her treatment of the 10 men who died on hunger strike in the Maze Prison. As I say, most nationalists in Ireland would describe the 10 men who died as Irish freedom fighters. The hunger strikes touched a raw nerve in Ireland, going all the way back to the fight for independence at the start of the 20th century, for example, the Lord Mayor of Cork, Terence MacSwiney, who died whilst on hunger strike in Brixton Prison in 1920.
The interview in Loaded has some great one liners. In the same interview he praises Nigel Farage so I might have thought you would prefer to forget that interview. It's well worth a read though if you enjoy a good chuckle. The interview did demonstrate some of the contradictions in Moz's outlook on the world though, as commented on at the time. A walk down memory lane...

Joe Biden would probably use that term about the hunger strikers, as would most of nationalist Ireland, as would many on the left of the Labour Party. That doesn't mean they would also support the IRA killing civilians. Moz was referring specifically to Margaret Thatcher and was obviously alluding to her treatment of the 10 men who died on hunger strike in the Maze Prison. As I say, most nationalists in Ireland would describe the 10 men who died as Irish freedom fighters. The hunger strikes touched a raw nerve in Ireland, going all the way back to the fight for independence at the start of the 20th century, for example, the Lord Mayor of Cork, Terence MacSwiney, who died whilst on hunger strike in Brixton Prison in 1920.
The interview in Loaded has some great one liners. In the same interview he praises Nigel Farage so I might have thought you would prefer to forget that interview. It's well worth a read though if you enjoy a good chuckle. The interview did demonstrate some of the contradictions in Moz's outlook on the world though, as commented on at the time. A walk down memory lane...

He also slagged off Nigel Farage.

And I really don't know why you're so desperate to pretend he wasn't supportive of the IRA. He's never condemned them, he joked about their bombing campaign, didn't say that he disapproved of Bobby Sands being in the IRA & mentioned Irish Freedom Fighters without saying he only meant them starving to death as opposed to actually fighting. The IRA themselves always blamed every death on the UK government who - they believed - made violence their only viable option. Morrissey said as much to the Melody Maker in November 1984:

They want us to believe such attacks can only work in the Government's favour but I believe that's utter nonsense. Immediately after the event Maggie was on television attacking the use of bombs - the very person who absolutely believes in the power of bombs. She's the one who insists that they're the only method of communication in world politics.

He also slagged off Nigel Farage.

And I really don't know why you're so desperate to pretend he wasn't supportive of the IRA. He's never condemned them, he joked about their bombing campaign, didn't say that he disapproved of Bobby Sands being in the IRA & mentioned Irish Freedom Fighters without saying he only meant them starving to death as opposed to actually fighting. The IRA themselves always blamed every death on the UK government who - they believed - made violence their only viable option. Morrissey said as much to the Melody Maker in November 1984:

They want us to believe such attacks can only work in the Government's favour but I believe that's utter nonsense. Immediately after the event Maggie was on television attacking the use of bombs - the very person who absolutely believes in the power of bombs. She's the one who insists that they're the only method of communication in world politics.

Just when I think I couldn’t hate you any more….

I really don't know why you're so desperate to pretend he wasn't supportive of the IRA.
Because arguing that he was is disingenuous.

The sorrow of the Brighton bombing is that she (Thatcher) escaped unscathed. The sorrow is that she's still alive. But I feel relatively happy about it. I think for once the IRA were accurate in selecting their target.

He's expressing hatred for Thatcher - not support for the IRA.

Because arguing that he was is disingenuous.

The sorrow of the Brighton bombing is that she (Thatcher) escaped unscathed. The sorrow is that she's still alive. But I feel relatively happy about it. I think for once the IRA were accurate in selecting their target.

He's expressing hatred for Thatcher - not support for the IRA.

No, it's not. Because when asked further questions on the subject at no point did he say he was against the IRA & he believed the violence was caused by Thatcher insisting bombs are the only method of communication.

Pretending that Bobby Sands & Irish Freedom Fighters are separate from the IRA is ridiculous.

No, it's not. Because when asked further questions on the subject at no point did he say he was against the IRA & he believed the violence was caused by Thatcher insisting bombs are the only method of communication.

Pretending that Bobby Sands & Irish Freedom Fighters are separate from the IRA is ridiculous.
I know people in England who'd voted Labour all their lives but stopped when the press persuasively turned Corbyn's meeting with IRA reps from a peace-making effort into a sympathising one.

Surely attributing a republican preference is enough. On this it seems to me you're going against your whole mission. Think about it.

To help convince you, something happened last week.
"[Veteran balladeers] WOLFE Tones frontman Brian Warfield revealed he intends to make a formal complaint to RTE over his treatment by Joe Duffy on Liveline this week.

The RTE Radio One host blasted the 77-year-old for singing “brutal awful music which glorified violence to make money”.' https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/...ne-row-joe-duffy-wolfe-tones-celtic-symphony/

The 'discussion' is here https://www.rte.ie/radio/podcasts/22286787-fire-in-mcdonalds-is-up-the-ra-offensive-th/

Considering the dire state of governance being revealed week after week in the broadcasting organisation, the attack was indeed a bit rich. But it follows an incident in 2022 that drew bad press after the Irish Women's football team was videoed singing the purportedly offending chorus, and for which they were heavily fined - https://www.irishcentral.com/news/ireland-fined-up-the-ra-chant

The song referred to is Celtic Symphony - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Symphony_(Wolfe_Tones_song)

Let's not accidentally add another misunderstanding that'll need clearing up. Did you get a chance to listen to the documentary? Wasn't it a thrill?!

I know people in England who'd voted Labour all their lives but stopped when the press persuasively turned Corbyn's meeting with IRA reps from a peace-making effort into a sympathising one.

Surely attributing a republican preference is enough. On this it seems to me you're going against your whole mission. Think about it.

To help convince you, something happened last week.
"[Veteran balladeers] WOLFE Tones frontman Brian Warfield revealed he intends to make a formal complaint to RTE over his treatment by Joe Duffy on Liveline this week.

The RTE Radio One host blasted the 77-year-old for singing “brutal awful music which glorified violence to make money”.' https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/...ne-row-joe-duffy-wolfe-tones-celtic-symphony/

The 'discussion' is here https://www.rte.ie/radio/podcasts/22286787-fire-in-mcdonalds-is-up-the-ra-offensive-th/

Considering the dire state of governance being revealed week after week in the broadcasting organisation, the attack was indeed a bit rich. But it follows an incident in 2022 that drew bad press after the Irish Women's football team was videoed singing the purportedly offending chorus, and for which they were heavily fined - https://www.irishcentral.com/news/ireland-fined-up-the-ra-chant

The song referred to is Celtic Symphony - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Symphony_(Wolfe_Tones_song)

Let's not accidentally add another misunderstanding that'll need clearing up. Did you get a chance to listen to the documentary? Wasn't it a thrill?!

The Wolfe Tones tip into grisly sectarianism & tour around stirring up old hatreds - I don't think Morrissey's anything like that.

But I think he did see the UK governement as the villian of the 'the troubles' & was sympathetic to the IRA to the extent that they were a reaction to the injustice.

Tags
the smiths
Back
Top Bottom