Sexism (and what not)

the teapot said to the kettle...
:cool:

Dear Lord almighty, and who of all people chimes in?!

It's a wee bit hard to take anything that comes from you seriously...when you are just as bad...and then some.

I'm stating my reasons why I am a bit of a "stereotype" in preferring the image of a female. I said I can acknowledge and recognize male beauty, I just don't necessarily "enjoy" looking at it because I find no interest in it romantically.
Nobody said there was anything wrong about it. But how do you explain the fact that society has traditionally been preoccupied with female beauty? As far as I know, half of the world's population are women. ;) So either the majority of women are romantically drawn to other women and not to men... :D or the female point of view has been dramatically neglected.

(It's funny to point out obvious things. :p )

I explain that fact that men have predominantly been running things. In the old days it was mostly men painting pictures and building sculptures and setting the standards of society. And because most of those men digged chicks, the image of female beauty is considered heavenly, while the male image is nothing much to look at it. And so most men agree with that and carry it on, and not every single woman opposes it, thus a majority arises that does not do anything to "fight" the ideal image of female beauty over male beauty.

I explain that fact that men have predominantly been running things. In the old days it was mostly men painting pictures and building sculptures and setting the standards of society. And because most of those men digged chicks, the image of female beauty is considered heavenly, while the male image is nothing much to look at it. And so most men agree with that and carry it on, and not every single woman opposes it, thus a majority arises that does not do anything to "fight" the ideal image of female beauty over male beauty.
A quote coming up...

http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/interviews/1988/songs.htm

Morrissey interviewed by Simon Reynolds
Melody Maker, March 12, 1988

"Where the world's ugliest boy, became what you see here, I am - the world's ugliest man". Isn't that a little coy? You must be fairly confident about your looks, by now?
"Well, thank you, but no - if I see a picture of myself in a magazine, I quickly press on and get to the classified ads. And if by some quirk I see myself on television, I instantly change channels."
The line "Women only like me for my mind" is clever...
"It's the final complaint, I suppose, in the long list of complaints about the past."
It's still not widely appreciated that men can want to be objects, as much as agents, of desire.
"But I think men are seen like that, actually - now. Men are aware of their sexuality in a way they previously weren't, or weren't supposed to be. I think women have become very open about their needs and desires, and this was entirely due to feminism. By women being open about sex, it made life much easier for men. And this is why feminism helps everybody, to be slightly more relaxed about life."

I've always thought that every person, whatever their sexual orientation, is likely to be aware what they find attractive about their own gender...how can you not, if you have ever looked at yourself in the mirror, if you are aware of your body, if you've ever wondered 'what should I wear and how should I do my hair to look attractive?' And I believe that most people do these things. Therefore, the idea that a heterosexual person can only be aware of the attractiveness of the opposite sex is something I find very strange. Surely everyone must wonder sometimes how their love interest feels, if (s)he find them attractive?

At least that's how it seems to me... although I remember one guy at NME.com forum who said "I'd put a pic of myself, but I don't know if I'm attractive coz I'm not gay". LMAO :D (He really meant it, which made it even funnier!)

There once was a time when it was male beauty that was objectified. The Boy by Germaine Greer is a good read on the subject.

I was actually quite stunned by the responses to sexism, the stereotypes & cliches that were trotted out by some. The posting of a photo and the question posed, were in my opinion sexist.

"It belongs to her nature to be more perfect and more imperfect than man. If one would indicate the purest and most perfect quality, one says 'a woman'; if one would indicate the weakest, and most feeble thing, one says 'a woman'; if one would give a notion of a spiritual quality raised above all sensuousness, one says 'a woman'; if one would give a notion of the sensuous, one says 'a woman'; if one would indicate innocence in all its lofty greatness, one says 'a woman'; if one would point to the depressing feeling of sin, one says 'a woman.' In a certain sense, therefore, woman is more perfect than man, and this the scripture expresses by saying that she has more guilt" -- Soren Kierkegaard (Either/Or)

Hmm heres a tale of latent sexism for you.

A girl who I work with who I class as a friend a few years back got slapped on the bottom by a senior manager. IN worktime as well!!!

After much deliberation she felt that complaining would hinder her career. (shes an alumni of the graduate trainee course!)

I was and still am outraged. In fact all the managers here (its historically a male dominated industry) are lecherous old men who make snide comments about young attractive women here. I'm surprised one of them hasn't been hauled over the coals.

But thats cos they use their "power" and have affairs with younger married women. What a f-ing cliche.

Oh by the way:

SMACK MY BITCH UP YOU MUTHAF-ING HO'

"It belongs to her nature to be more perfect and more imperfect than man. If one would indicate the purest and most perfect quality, one says 'a woman'; if one would indicate the weakest, and most feeble thing, one says 'a woman'; if one would give a notion of a spiritual quality raised above all sensuousness, one says 'a woman'; if one would give a notion of the sensuous, one says 'a woman'; if one would indicate innocence in all its lofty greatness, one says 'a woman'; if one would point to the depressing feeling of sin, one says 'a woman.' In a certain sense, therefore, woman is more perfect than man, and this the scripture expresses by saying that she has more guilt" -- Soren Kierkegaard (Either/Or)
^^^ Thank you for providing me with the perfect example of sexism in traditional European culture. This is the only way women were allowed to be present in philosophy, literature and visual art in the patriarchal society: as on object seen through the eyes of men. There was no female voice in the world of art, philosophy and (in a slightly less degree) literature, because the society assigned a different role to women - they were not allowed to be artists, scientists and philosophers, only muses and models. And then you get this kind of musings: women represent innocence, sin, weakness, purity, perfection, sensuality, etc. etc....:rolleyes: Kierkegaard says absolutely nothing about what women really are like - he isn't even talking about any actual, living woman, instead he is talking about Woman as an abstract idea, as a projection of man's fantasies, fears, and desires. The 'woman' he talks about is nothing else but a projection of his own personality. Nobody asked women what they had to say, what their feelings, thoughts and desires were. Nobody asked them what they thought about being regarded as a notion of spiritual quality, as a notion of sensuous, of perfection, a projection of man's feeling of sin, and so on... rather than actual human beings.

What a nice way to keep someone in subjection - by making them into an object of 'adoration'! But in order to be adored, the object has to stay silent and show no will of their own! And what a wonderful way to justify repression and double standards against a group of people - we think you are better and more perfect, therefore you will be punished severely for the things we forgive ourselves! Isn't that wonderful! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hmm heres a tale of latent sexism for you.

A girl who I work with who I class as a friend a few years back got slapped on the bottom by a senior manager. IN worktime as well!!!

After much deliberation she felt that complaining would hinder her career. (shes an alumni of the graduate trainee course!)

I was and still am outraged. In fact all the managers here (its historically a male dominated industry) are lecherous old men who make snide comments about young attractive women here. I'm surprised one of them hasn't been hauled over the coals.

But thats cos they use their "power" and have affairs with younger married women. What a f-ing cliche.
What's "latent" about it?

Back
Top Bottom