Spectator: "Why Trump loves The Smiths" (February 9, 2024)

You can read it - illness as art has most of the Smiths/Morrissey articles where you can see the journalists building together a narrative about them being so English - despite them all talking about being Irish & Morrissey getting into trouble for joking about the IRA bombing Thatcher.

Then they turn on him for it.

You'll have to come up with something more substantial than that. I'm not doing your homework.

That is disgusting.

And while Morrissey is lumbered with his right-wing "crew" - I hope they get out of it, or at least start to keep it to themselves - Marr should complain about the MAGA hat being put on his head.

And no - Morrissey is nothing like Trump.

Morrissey writes about being unloved & a loser - Trump thinks he wins all the time & everyone who matters should think he's the greatest.
It wasn't as cutting as I thought it would be, although material was obviously being stretched from the point he described freaking out the first time he heard Please Please Please. The sweetest mellowest song in the world, outrageous? Hardly. As Eugenius said, cheaply fitting round pegs in square holes.

Btw, Eugenius, as a counterweight, did you see this? https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...reatment-of-morrissey-february-6-2024.151991/

People are welcome to take issue with the article (though it seems like a fairly mild opinion piece to me), but some very bizarre personal attacks here on Roberts accusing him of 'snorting blow off teenage girls' taints' and being jealous of backstage pussy (err....he's gay), and being a 'new fan', when he published a novel with the Morrissey lyric title of 'The Romance of Crime' way back in 1995. :squiffy:

It wasn't as cutting as I thought it would be, although material was obviously being stretched from the point he described freaking out the first time he heard Please Please Please. The sweetest mellowest song in the world, outrageous? Hardly. As Eugenius said, cheaply fitting round pegs in square holes.

Btw, Eugenius, as a counterweight, did you see this? https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/göteborgs-posten-carl-r-belfrage-on-medias-mistreatment-of-morrissey-february-6-2024.151991/

Thanks for sharing, goinghome. I missed that one. I read it, and re-read it and I think there were a few things lost in translation, but I get the general picture and I agree with seasalt (the original poster of your link), I haven't read one critical article about El Hefe in years. If I do read something about him, politics are always baked into the lead. Always.

I got flack from some of the staff at a publication I used to write for after I submitted a critical review of the then-recent 2021 leaks of "If Saturday Ever Comes" and a couple of other numbers. Apparently, I didn't incorporate politics or anecdotes of what a horrible person the artist is in my copy because it got back to me that I ruffled a few righteous feathers on staff.

"I didn't know we were allowed to nonchalantly review music made by nazis without saying anything about it now," the junior staffer wrote in a group email.

Can you imagine? True story.

People are welcome to take issue with the article (though it seems like a fairly mild opinion piece to me), but some very bizarre personal attacks here on Roberts accusing him of 'snorting blow off teenage girls' taints' and being jealous of backstage pussy (err....he's gay), and being a 'new fan', when he published a novel with the Morrissey lyric title of 'The Romance of Crime' way back in 1995. :squiffy:
Yeah, I found that a bit distasteful and decadent

oh, come on, Wild T, the better choice would be You Must Please Remember.
:lbf:

Absolutely agree with you. Such over the top attacks.

You missed the point. Reread what I wrote and then go play in traffic.

You'll have to come up with something more substantial than that. I'm not doing your homework.

If you're a journalist, you actually should do the work.

It was the NME that claimed he was a little Englander in 92 & Andrew Collins said he'd cobbled together "faux-racist" quotes for "a witch hunt" issue.

Btw, Eugenius, as a counterweight, did you see this? https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/göteborgs-posten-carl-r-belfrage-on-medias-mistreatment-of-morrissey-february-6-2024.151991/

I didn't think it would be cutting, I was just objecting to Morrissey, yet again, being associated with a right-wing figure that he has nothing to do with.

Gareth Roberts (if this is you in the attached photo), I hope your fat, bald, no-necked carriage falls over soon, if not from a heart attack, then a stroke. The world will be a slightly better place without you. You won't be missed, by anyone.

View attachment 101440

Wishing him death? What a perfectly reasonable response to a random article.

Members here are f***ing psycho.

If you're a journalist, you actually should do the work.

It was the NME that claimed he was a little Englander in 92 & Andrew Collins said he'd cobbled together "faux-racist" quotes for "a witch hunt" issue

"Do the work," she says, as if she just gave me an assignment with a due date and a fee.

Funnily enough - both Gemini.
Creative. Great communicators. Prone to using their hands when speaking. Like to joke and give people nicknames. Tendency to say things that might get them into trouble. Flaky and unreliable - often start things and then struggle to finish them.
Sound like anyone?
:ROFLMAO:

yep, Morrissey is totally like Trump then. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing, goinghome. I missed that one. I read it, and re-read it and I think there were a few things lost in translation, but I get the general picture and I agree with seasalt (the original poster of your link), I haven't read one critical article about El Hefe in years. If I do read something about him, politics are always baked into the lead. Always.

I got flack from some of the staff at a publication I used to write for after I submitted a critical review of the then-recent 2021 leaks of "If Saturday Ever Comes" and a couple of other numbers. Apparently, I didn't incorporate politics or anecdotes of what a horrible person the artist is in my copy because it got back to me that I ruffled a few righteous feathers on staff.

"I didn't know we were allowed to nonchalantly review music made by nazis without saying anything about it now," the junior staffer wrote in a group email.

Can you imagine? True story.

Well done. Did you send the critique out anywhere else? We must think of a destination for it! From what you say, it's as if publications have given up editorial independence. Are they subject to some more centralised command, I wonder, who dictates the latest verboten areas, and the takes allowed on the rest? As if the entertainment industry gets the equivalent of D-notices. What a world we live in!

Great minds play the music, small minds block the music.

Well done. Did you send the critique out anywhere else? We must think of a destination for it! From what you say, it's as if publications have given up editorial independence. Are they subject to some more centralised command, I wonder, who dictates the latest verboten areas, and the takes allowed on the rest? As if the entertainment industry gets the equivalent of D-notices. What a world we live in!

Great minds play the music, small minds block the music.

The owner, the editor, the style guide & the whoever sells the ads.

In the theatre it's the funder, the artistic director, the audience, & the critics if it impacts the audience.

The owner, the editor, the style guide & the whoever sells the ads.

In the theatre it's the funder, the artistic director, the audience, & the critics if it impacts the audience.
Them too.

Them too.

I don't think there's a group of people who control everything - but there's fashion, and pressure groups & social circles.

And it's not fair.

But - also - there are some ideas that are unlikely to ever be vindicated & it's not worth being associated with them.

Back
Top Bottom