The Queen is Dead - If you would've done it

Neader

"Take me out tonight"
Replace songs with singles and b-sides released during the era. You can not use songs that are on studio albums and you must keep the track listing at 10.

1. The Queen is Dead
2. Frankly, Mr. Shankly
3. I Know It's Over
4. Never Had No One
5. Cemetry Gates
6. Bigmouth Strikes Again
7. The Boy With the Thorn in His Side
8. Vicar in a Tutu
9. There is a Light That Never Goes Out
10. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others

I'll type that out for you so you don't have to.

My version:

1. The Queen is Dead
2. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
3. Cemetry Gates
4. I Know It's Over
5. Panic
7. Ask
8. Rubber Ring
9. Asleep
10. There is a Light That Never Goes Out

I posted something like this but nobody responded :tears:

Anyways, here's mine.

Panic
Frankly, Mr. Shankly
The Boy With A Thorn In His Side
Shoplifters Of The World
Big Mouth Strikes Again
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
I Know It's Over
The Queen Is Dead
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Asleep

:cool:

Side 1

1. The Queen Is Dead
2. Frankly, Mr. Shankly
3. I Know It's Over
4. Never Had No One Ever
5. Cemetry Gates

Side 2

1. Bigmouth Strikes Again
2. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
3. Vicar In A Tutu
4. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
5. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others

Now, today, tomorrow, and always.

Side 1

1. The Queen Is Dead
2. Frankly, Mr. Shankly
3. I Know It's Over
4. Never Had No One Ever
5. Cemetry Gates

Side 2

1. Bigmouth Strikes Again
3. Vicar In A Tutu
4. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
5. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others

Now, today, tomorrow, and always.

I agree. You shouldn't much around with perfection.

Panic, asleep and rubber ring have no part to play on TQID. They feel from a different era and would stick out like sore thumbs.

I agree. You shouldn't much around with perfection.

Panic, asleep and rubber ring have no part to play on TQID. They feel from a different era and would stick out like sore thumbs.

I agree except I would reverse the order of "There Is A Light..." and "Some Girls..." I don't find "There Is A Light" morbid or dark and think it would be perfect to end the album.

I agree except I would reverse the order of "There Is A Light..." and "Some Girls..." I don't find "There Is A Light" morbid or dark and think it would be perfect to end the album.

I've often wondered if "Some Girls" is the best way to end the album, especially after TIALTNGO. "Some Girls" is a comedy song, a bit throwaway, but this is why I love it as the album closer: by not ending with the song they must have known was going to be the emotional peak of the album, and instead throwing in an amusing little song with references to "Carry On", I think Morrissey and Marr were inviting the listener to reflect on how one and the same band could have recorded both the 'profound' song and the 'trivial' song. "Some Girls" has hidden depth to it, mysterious only because it follows "There Is A Light". I always think Morrissey is saying so much more than he is in "Some Girls". The two songs are juxtaposed intentionally to hint that Morrissey communicates directly and devastatingly ("There Is A Light") but also playfully and cryptically ("Some Girls"). "I am the same person; you tell me how you see the world and I'll tell you how I see it".

On the other side of "There Is A Light", "Vicar In A Tutu" plays a similar role, knocking the listener off balance before, again, the emotional peak of the album. The fact that "Some Girls" sounds so subdued plays off of "Vicar In A Tutu" as well. It's not overtly upbeat and sparkling-- as opposed to the boldness of 'Vicar' or "Frankly, Mr. Shankly"-- and creates this weird atmosphere of hidden meanings that ends with the invitation "Send me the pillow/the one that you dream on", evoking-- with Johnny's downbeat coda-- a sense of dreamtime. The album ends hypnotically. You almost have to wake yourself out of it.

I'd go for...

Side 1

1. The Queen Is Dead
2. Frankly, Mr. Shankly
3. I Know It's Over
4. Unloveable
5. Cemetry Gates

Side 2

1. Panic
3. Vicar In A Tutu
4. Rubber Ring
5. There is a light

I've always thought of Panic as belonging to the same era, as it came out only a couple of months after the album. I'll always remember the GMEX gig in the summer of 1986 when Panic was on the setlist, along with most of the Queen is Dead album.

If I were in charge of a reissue, this would be the track list:

The Queen Is Dead
Panic
Ask
Vicar In A Tutu
Frankly, Mr. Shankly
Cemetry Gates
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
I Know It's Over
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Unloveable
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Rubber Ring
Asleep

I've often thought that if some evil saboteur infinitely looped the end of "Rubber Ring" I would slip into a Smiths-coma from which I would never awaken. :rolleyes:

Hey, listening to "Rubber Ring" twenty-five times in a row is what got me into this mess. It woke me out of a coma. And now look... :lbf:

I've often wondered if "Some Girls" is the best way to end the album, especially after TIALTNGO. "Some Girls" is a comedy song, a bit throwaway, but this is why I love it as the album closer: by not ending with the song they must have known was going to be the emotional peak of the album, and instead throwing in an amusing little song with references to "Carry On", I think Morrissey and Marr were inviting the listener to reflect on how one and the same band could have recorded both the 'profound' song and the 'trivial' song. "Some Girls" has hidden depth to it, mysterious only because it follows "There Is A Light". I always think Morrissey is saying so much more than he is in "Some Girls". The two songs are juxtaposed intentionally to hint that Morrissey communicates directly and devastatingly ("There Is A Light") but also playfully and cryptically ("Some Girls"). "I am the same person; you tell me how you see the world and I'll tell you how I see it".

On the other side of "There Is A Light", "Vicar In A Tutu" plays a similar role, knocking the listener off balance before, again, the emotional peak of the album. The fact that "Some Girls" sounds so subdued plays off of "Vicar In A Tutu" as well. It's not overtly upbeat and sparkling-- as opposed to the boldness of 'Vicar' or "Frankly, Mr. Shankly"-- and creates this weird atmosphere of hidden meanings that ends with the invitation "Send me the pillow/the one that you dream on", evoking-- with Johnny's downbeat coda-- a sense of dreamtime. The album ends hypnotically. You almost have to wake yourself out of it.

You do have a point. The phrase "send me your pillow..." is definitely quite arresting, at least for me.

I've always thought of Panic as belonging to the same era, as it came out only a couple of months after the album. I'll always remember the GMEX gig in the summer of 1986 when Panic was on the setlist, along with most of the Queen is Dead album.

Exactly.... you are right my friend:)

However, as mentioned somewhere above.....keep the exact track listing now, today, tomorrow and always:guitar::guitar:

The GREATEST album EVER released:cool::rock:

Jukebox Jury

Bring in that guy that plays turntables in Linkin Park, and put Jay-Z and Beyonce on Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others.

Maybe something like this:

01. The Queen is Dead
02. Frankly, Mr. Shankly
03. I Know It's Over
04. Cemetry Gates
05. Half a Person
06. Bigmouth Strikes Again
07. The Boy With the Thorn in His Side
08. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
09. Asleep

Replace songs with singles and b-sides released during the era. You can not use songs that are on studio albums and you must keep the track listing at 10.

1. The Queen is Dead
2. Frankly, Mr. Shankly
3. I Know It's Over
4. Never Had No One
5. Cemetry Gates
7. The Boy With the Thorn in His Side
8. Vicar in a Tutu
9. There is a Light That Never Goes Out
10. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others

I'll type that out for you so you don't have to.

My version:

1. The Queen is Dead
3. Cemetry Gates
4. I Know It's Over
5. Panic
7. Ask
8. Rubber Ring
9. Asleep

I like you list but add
shoplifters of the world unite and take over
shakespeare's sister

and skip ask and panic

1. The Queen Is Dead
3. Cemetry Gates
4. I Know It's Over
5. Never Had No One Ever
6. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
7. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
8. Big Mouth Strikes Again
9. Asleep
10. Rubber Ring

I would drop Vicar In A Tutu and Frankly, Mr. Shankly and replace them with Asleep and Rubber Ring and then shuffle the running order around a bit.

Panic and Ask are my least favourite Smith singles and frankly there wasn't much going on on the B sides either.

Once you go into 1987 (Shoplifters etc) that's a different era again.

I can't imagine it working anywhere near as well with different tracks. The only thing I'd do is switch There Is A Light and Some Girls.

Tags
words
Back
Top Bottom