Tony Visconti on Morrissey's keen sense of smell

Tony Visconti Will Lie for David Bowie - The New York Times
Interview by ANDREW GOLDMAN
Published: March 29, 2013

Excerpt:

You also produced Morrissey’s 2006 album, “Ringleader of the Tormentors.” Given his demand that meat be nowhere near him, were there practical difficulties?
I’m diabetic. Every day at lunchtime, a vegetarian meal would be waiting, sometimes as bland as linguine and tomato sauce. I told him, “I’ll probably go into a coma if I eat that.” It was delicate. I might have been fired. He said, “You’ll have to sort that out by yourself.” So I ate meat well away from the studio, like miles away, at my hotel. He’s got an incredible sense of smell. He smells meat.

tony_visconti.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
haha, that was good, Nobody!
I guess he meant Morrissey can smell meat from a big distance, like miles away LOL

Couldn't Tony have just requested vegetables, fruits, and whole grains instead of Pasta? I mean, if he was that worried about being fired and all...

Couldn't Tony have just requested vegetables, fruits, and whole grains instead of Pasta? I mean, if he was that worried about being fired and all...

Meat is equally unhealthy, and you are right, if he has health issues, he should have the common sense to eat better. Many diabetics exacerbate the condition with poor nutrition.

haha, that was good, Nobody!
I guess he meant Morrissey can smell meat from a big distance, like miles away LOL
i reckon it's just that if he can smell it he mentions it because he's vege, you can smell food quite a far distance.

Last edited:

I'm f***ing sick of this. We are all free to air our views about what we eat and why, so at the end of the day there must be a "free-choice" after we've heard all the arguments of eating or not eating meat ? If Tony wants to eat meat so be it who gives a f*** its HIS choice and if Morrissey wants to eat or twat daffodils about then so be it, respect to either of em. You lot are f***in brain-washed.

Benny the butcher

Will it get printed ? I won't hold my breath.

I'm f***ing sick of this. We are all free to air our views about what we eat and why, so at the end of the day there must be a "free-choice" after we've heard all the arguments of eating or not eating meat ? If Tony wants to eat meat so be it who gives a f*** its HIS choice and if Morrissey wants to eat or twat daffodils about then so be it, respect to either of em. You lot are f***in brain-washed.

Benny the butcher

Do you have high blood pressure, by chance?

Benny the butcher

Morrissey never said Tony couldn't eat meat. Morrissey just didn't want to PAY for Tony's meat with his money. That's not asking for too much?

Morrissey never said Tony couldn't eat meat. Morrissey just didn't want to PAY for Tony's meat with his money. That's not asking for too much?

And you can back this up because ? Was you there ? Can't wait for your insider info (in detail).

Hurry up now !

And you can back this up because ? Was you there ? Can't wait for your insider info (in detail).

Hurry up now !

In the article Visconti said:

He said, “You’ll have to sort that out by yourself.”

Doesn't that mean go get meat on your own dime? He never said DON'T eat meat and die of diabetes, he just didn't want to instruct his caterers to provide it. Dial down the dick, dude. It's not a big deal.

"He’s got an incredible sense of smell."

I think all of his senses are quite incredible. Morrissey is in complete control at all times - of everything around him. It's one of the things I find fascinating about him.

In the article Visconti said:

He said, “You’ll have to sort that out by yourself.”

Doesn't that mean go get meat on your own dime? He never said DON'T eat meat and die of diabetes, he just didn't want to instruct his caterers to provide it. Dial down the dick, dude. It's not a big deal.

You got it - that's exactly what he meant :) Ignore the dolts who want to turn this into a carnivore vs. vegetarian debate.

I think all of his senses are quite incredible. Morrissey is in complete control at all times - of everything around him. It's one of the things I find fascinating about him.

I think this is quite possibly one of the greatest posts that has ever been written on this site.

'he smells meat' - Anyone who can smell can.

The John Smiths Grand National Steeple Chase (Aintree Liverpool) Saturday 6th April ?

Many horses DIE in this race !!!!! But wait a minute (shock horror!!!!) Friend of Morrissey, Russell Brand is promoting this race with Alan Carr (Chatty-Man) on channel 4 !!

Discuss, Please animal rightists and vegetable-ists !!!!!!!!

Because I don't understand at what point the blind eye is turned, so please explain, thanks.

Simple question so simple answer is all that is required !

Good luck.

Morrissey always finds ways to outcuntify his c***ishness. He's amazing!

The John Smiths Grand National Steeple Chase (Aintree Liverpool) Saturday 6th April ?

Many horses DIE in this race !!!!! But wait a minute (shock horror!!!!) Friend of Morrissey, Russell Brand is promoting this race with Alan Carr (Chatty-Man) on channel 4 !!

Discuss, Please animal rightists and vegetable-ists !!!!!!!!

Because I don't understand at what point the blind eye is turned, so please explain, thanks.

Simple question so simple answer is all that is required !

Good luck.

He's not responsible for other people's actions. This is pointless. :rolleyes:

"He’s got an incredible sense of smell."

Too bad he can't smell how shitty his new music and band are...

I think all of his senses are quite incredible.

Except the one he requires contact lenses for...

Morrissey is in complete control at all times - of everything around him. It's one of the things I find fascinating about him.

...and that is exactly his problem these days.

I met Jesse and Gustavo last May in Hawaii between the Maui and Honolulu shows. Gustavo told me about how the whole band along with Moz and KY toured the island of Maui the day before and how he ate the most amazing sea food. I asked if Morrissey gave him grief for eating fish and he said "no, he doesn't say a word, he just won't pay for it."

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom