Tony Visconti on Morrissey's keen sense of smell

Tony Visconti Will Lie for David Bowie - The New York Times
Interview by ANDREW GOLDMAN
Published: March 29, 2013

Excerpt:

You also produced Morrissey’s 2006 album, “Ringleader of the Tormentors.” Given his demand that meat be nowhere near him, were there practical difficulties?
I’m diabetic. Every day at lunchtime, a vegetarian meal would be waiting, sometimes as bland as linguine and tomato sauce. I told him, “I’ll probably go into a coma if I eat that.” It was delicate. I might have been fired. He said, “You’ll have to sort that out by yourself.” So I ate meat well away from the studio, like miles away, at my hotel. He’s got an incredible sense of smell. He smells meat.

tony_visconti.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I met Jesse and Gustavo last May in Hawaii between the Maui and Honolulu shows. Gustavo told me about how the whole band along with Moz and KY toured the island of Maui the day before and how he ate the most amazing sea food. I asked if Morrissey gave him grief for eating fish and he said "no, he doesn't say a word, he just won't pay for it."

Separate checks for those who don't go veggie?

Awkward.

I met Jesse and Gustavo last May in Hawaii between the Maui and Honolulu shows. Gustavo told me about how the whole band along with Moz and KY toured the island of Maui the day before and how he ate the most amazing sea food. I asked if Morrissey gave him grief for eating fish and he said "no, he doesn't say a word, he just won't pay for it."

I'm not jealous.

I'm jealous. :p

I met Jesse and Gustavo last May in Hawaii between the Maui and Honolulu shows. Gustavo told me about how the whole band along with Moz and KY toured the island of Maui the day before and how he ate the most amazing sea food.

You mean cunnilingus.

So everyone who works with Morrissey must go veggie to respect HIS views.

But he won't respect the fact that Visconti has diabetes and cannot be served food that will spike his blood sugar?

Why does everyone around Morrissey have to live by his ideals and choices? Or risk being fired?

This is beyond absurd. Morrissey is an animal fascist.

Visconti should have quit.

Where did Moz stay when he was in Maui? I stayed at the Four Seasons in Wailea recently. I just wanted to brag about that.

But I can't believe Visconti is a meat eater. Yuck. And he uses his diabetes as an excuse? Now, that's sad. What about Kristeen Young? Is she vegan?

Maybe Morrissey can find a better producer via the Vegan Rock Stars list:
http://home.simplyweb.net/thrill/vegrock.html

Great posts Geezer & Glove. I don't pay for other people's ignorance either. If I win a restaurant gift card, I have no problem sharing, but don't exploit animals on *my* winnings.

Great posts Geezer & Glove. I don't pay for other people's ignorance either. If I win a restaurant gift card, I have no problem sharing, but don't exploit animals on *my* winnings.

I try not to. Sometimes when it's unavoidable, like I buy my mom a hotdog at costco, (it's a weird tradition) I say a prayer thanking the pig for his sacrifice and giving my mom nourishment or whatever. But if I'm with friend's and they're ordering chicken and stuff, I go dutch and let them buy their own. Generally my friends are very polite and don't order meat around me though. I'm not preachy about it, I think they appreciate that and accommodate me more in a way.

So everyone who works with Morrissey must go veggie to respect HIS views.

But he won't respect the fact that Visconti has diabetes and cannot be served food that will spike his blood sugar?

Why does everyone around Morrissey have to live by his ideals and choices? Or risk being fired?

This is beyond absurd. Morrissey is an animal fascist.

Visconti should have quit.
he stated that morrissey said if you want meat you can get it yourself so that insinuated he wouldn't stop him, he's just not happy paying for any himself.

Yea i get what your saying, but in this case how can he be loyal to his beliefs if he is buying meat, for him or anyone? If someone wants it they can get it themself.

Just a shame he hasn't got a keen sense of shit guitar music, otherwise he might've got a record deal by now.

he stated that morrissey said if you want meat you can get it yourself so that insinuated he wouldn't stop him, he's just not happy paying for any himself.

Yea i get what your saying, but in this case how can he be loyal to his beliefs if he is buying meat, for him or anyone? If someone wants it they can get it themself.

I agree. Morrissey stated in an interview that he wouldn't dine with anyone if they ordered a meat dish. Shit, if I had the opportunity to sit at a table and eat dinner with Morrissey, I wouldnt be stupid enough get something with meat in it! I'll eat a plate of cabbage if it will make him happy! The honor would be mine.

Cause I hate cabbage.

Last edited:
I agree. Morrissey stated in an interview that he wouldn't dine with anyone if they ordered a meat dish. Shit, if I had the opportunity to sit at a table and eat dinner with Morrissey, I wouldnt be stupid enough get something with meat in it! I'll eat a plate of cabbage if it will make him happy! The honor would be mine.

Or you could eat the remnants of his shit from his anus if the cabbage thing fails

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom