Morrissey Central "YOU KNOW I COULDN’T LAST" (July 26, 2023)

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
A few turncoats shamefully showing themselves, based on absolutely zero knowledge of anything at all, including any possible private conversation(s) which may have taken place between any parties. Shocking.

This was her first live performance of this song,about her recent abortion.

Black bra/shaved head.

Defiant and gentle.

And now the lyrics, reinforce what she went through after her son's death.

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:
Gahhhhhh!

Sinead didn’t kill herself because of the music industry! This, once again, is all about HIM. Also, “fat” — please. Who has used “fat” as a pejorative more than Morrissey? And just like how he couldn’t fathom the mother of a Moors Murder victim never getting over the death of her child, he doesn’t even mention the death of Sinead’s child. He has fooled you (and himself) into thinking he’s deep and caring.

He should have just kept his mouth shut. He has no relationship to her. He’s using her death to complain about the music industry. Again. And while I agree that the music industry sucks, Morrissey is just so difficult, unlikeable, egotistical, selfish, and unwilling to play the game we all have to play that he screws himself over in his career and his personal life over and over.

Every eulogy he gives for someone who has passed is ALWAYS, ultimately, about himself.

He’s comparing his feeling that record companies are conspiring to keep him from getting a hit record and assuming that was Sinead’s biggest problem as well.

Sinead was persecuted in a much more real way by the Catholic Church, the patriarchy, her family and community. Morrissey comparing his self-inflicted trouble with his record companies to that when she’s just died is disgusting. He goes on and on about the record industry and the fans — it goes on so long, it’s clear it’s not about Sinead at all.

He titled this “you know I couldn’t last” — I could write an essay on the various ways that is similarly offensive. For one thing, that song includes smears against Andy, who also just died and got a similar self-centered eulogy from him. “You know I couldn’t last” is about everyone wanting to exploit him for money, which doesn’t apply here at all.

His reference to “cancer culture” was also irritating. Andy just passed from cancer. “Cancel culture” is a dog whistle phrase usually used by the right, like Trump. It refers to the world being rightly outraged at the racist and offensive stuff Morrissey can’t stop saying.

Did the record companies and fans even turn their backs on Sinead? It seemed to me she stopped putting out music and stepped out of the spotlight of her own volition, due more to her mindset and mental issues.

Gosh its people like you that make us avoid forums.
Yr words are so sic
Moz posts something on his website and you two come to his forum and ridicule him. History will ONLY EVER see Moz as the Amazing Artist he was ALWAYS be!
What have u achieved in your lives?
What have u said or written that changed peoples lives for the better
What makes U JUDGE? JURY? & EXECUTIONER?
Why oh why are u being so spiteful?
100% agree. Seems to be some odd people on here. Why post on a forum of an artist you obviously don't like? Can't theh find something more interesting to do?

I'm a big Morrissey fan, but I wonder why M comes out to defend so many people. Who defends him when he makes his statements? When he messes with thorny issues and he is right, who or those who defend him?

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:
I was fortunate enough to see her on her first tour for “The Lion and the Cobra“. She played a small venue, Wolfgangs in San Francisco and arrived about half an hour later. She explained her baby was ill and she apologized. Then she opened her set with “The Hand that Rocks the Cradle“, with shouts of “Where’s Morrissey” from the crowd. I felt I was watching a star begin to shine so brightly by the shows end. The Lion and the Cobra was a pivotal point for me with music so she holds a special place in my heart. I agree with the entire sentiment Morrissey is putting out here. Especially helping artists who are treated this way and it ends inevitably in tragically losing their lives. Rest in peace Sinead.

Fwd posted this few minutes before
Please , Just read this beautiful tribute . 💔

Matt showing how it’s done… this was perfect. No surprise. He’s always told it like it is and in my experience always treated others fairly (was very kind to and went out of his way for me). Top cat and I feel for him and his family.

And for those who are all the time saying that Morrissey is an almost inveterate drunkard, they don't even know how to lie. Morrissey has a history of severe esophageal pathology for which he is under medical supervision, and has and should take care of himself. If Moz were an alcoholic, he would have left us a long time ago. So to those who talk shit I say: don't take us for boludos!!!!!

I think it was a well said piece, I just don't think moz, who never sticks his neck out for anyone, was the right person to say it.
Yeah, exactly that. I'm torn with this one, because the general frustration and anger in the post seems genuine. But I don't think it's that wise to choose his own song title as title of the post. It's very well written, but yeah, is he the right person to say it? Were they close? Did he offer a helping hand, defended her in public, when she needed it so desperately as he says? Has he an insight, what her real troubles were and why it was all so inevitable? Was it the music industry? Because otherwise he does the same thing he despises. Only speaking up when someone's dead.
If anybody has any insight, if they were close/he defended her etc., than it's different of course, I don't know if they had a connection.
So yeah, well written, but...

Sinead O'Conner and Moz have an awful lot in common. Both have struggled very publicly with mental illness. The difference being that Moz apparently doesn't know he's on tilt. Let's keep him goofy and not tell him.

Sinead stood up to the Catholic church. Moz stood up to... Johnny Marr. Oh yeah, and the meat industry. I have to admit that's a pretty big one. Kudos Moz!

Sinead O'Conner and Moz have an awful lot in common. Both have struggled very publicly with mental illness. The difference being that Moz apparently doesn't know he's on tilt. Let's keep him goofy and not tell him.

Sinead stood up to the Catholic church. Moz stood up to... Johnny Marr. Oh yeah, and the meat industry. I have to admit that's a pretty big one. Kudos Moz!
He did admit that he tends to suffer from depression, when he was interviewed by Larry King.

Last edited:

Deeply dippy

Prat

For some reason, I can't post YouTube videos here suddenly. Is anyone else having this problem? I tried to post a clip of Morrissey talking about his depression on Larry King, but all that got posted was a thing where you have to type in words to prove you're not a robot, and that was a hamster wheel that went nowhere.

Back
Top Bottom