Morrissey Central "YOU KNOW I COULDN’T LAST" (July 26, 2023)

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
It will never happen to Morrissey.

Because... he is loved by many fans around the world. And always will be.

And because... the more venomous haters wish him bad luck, the more his lovers will defend and praise him.

It's as simple as that.

VIVA MOZ!!!
How completely idiotic

Yes. It is time for him to go away forever. He can go no lower and it just isn't going to happen for him anymore. He is Bruce Willis in "The Sixth Sense" his career is dead and he doesn't know it.
FiDo is the little boy, she is the only one who can see him

Here’s at least a link to a long discussion on this board to Morrissey’s alleged support for the Black Lives Matter cause. He spoke out against the killing of George Floyd.

Thread 'The Metro: Morrissey’s pro Black Lives Matter tweet dragged on social media (June 3, 2020)'
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/the-metro-morrissey’s-pro-black-lives-matter-tweet-dragged-on-social-media-june-3-2020.146566/

At a concert I attended back in 2014 in Antwerp (Belgium), he made a similar remark about police violence in the US causing the death of innocent black people, the name of the victim now escapes me.
I believe this email interview is relevant here too:
"Morrissey on How Obama ‘Has Meant Nothing’ and Trump ‘Can’t Be Allowed to Represent America’"
Daily Beast / Jen Yamato / 2015&17
(paywall removed).
Regards,
FWD.

Artists in the fine arts, artists in the performance arts - which obviously includes musicians and singers, can and should all be judged on their abilities and on their contributions. That can be their contributions to a particular artistic canon, contributions to the cultural fabric around them, contribution to the artistic reflection of cultural sentiments quashed or repressed in a certain period, region, or even religion, etc, these are just some of the most obvious examples. It can also be contributions to the widening and to the broadening of the public’s recognition of the artistic stage that awaits other artists, or any innumerable other criteria.

There are any number of ways in which artistic endeavors and artistic outputs can be measured, and like every other type of contributions in life (of art, of a craft that it takes talent and years to hone, or even of non-art related work endeavors) people form opinions as to whether a particular piece of work, art, or artist has worth, and/or how much: indeed, even on a comparative basis. Because without comparison, nothing would have any value by definition. Not even currency.

So status of the opinions on a particular piece of fine art, performance art, musical composition, or on any number of artists who use their own voices as an instrument, actors, writers, poets, playwrights, novelists, ballet dancers, comedians, modern dancers, and innumerable others exist all on a continuum, and can and should be elevated or de-elevated according to the artistic (not monetary) value of their contributions or creations.

Your post is completely imbecilic, and infers that a K-pop ensemble, or an S Club 7 type act, or any manufactured ensemble that gets concocted out of a random group of no-talent strangers who are just thrown on a stage together to execute a song or a dance that other people created…. According to you, such completely commercialized and manufactured entities would all have the same merit (presumably none??) as a Leonard Cohen or as a Morrissey or a Serge Gainsbourg or Charles Aznavour or a Maria Callas or as any number of pick-your-favorite-artists in the musical arena who write poetry and who know how to set their words to the right songs, or who play instruments that it takes decades to perfect to the extent that they can stand out from the crowd and from their own competition or who read music, or who are multi-talented and can do some form of a combination of all of the above - these are all just non-entities to you? Because, why? Because we have some additional modern genres for the arts now? What about opera singers? Opera singers are in fact the opposite of everything I just described. They don’t even write the operas they’re singing, shock, horror!

Modern life comes with an entire slew of additional modern troubles and challenges to contend with. Humanity to me seems to be reverting to medieval times, instead moving forward toward collective enlightenment, intelligence, and peace.

Many artists fight and flail against various challenges their entire lives. The fact that some brilliant artists are never given the appreciation they deserve in their lifetimes is nothing new, this is a story as old as time. But the fact that you are apparently so dismissive of the creation of poetry and of music really begs the question, then why are you trying to pass any judgment whatsoever, on something that is clearly so far outside of your grasp?

Van Gogh couldn’t sell his paintings in his lifetime to save his life, but we can only assume he must have been trying to sell to some kind of dimwits like you.

Honestly I’ve never read something so sweepingly idiotic as your post.
And my life is too short to have even spent these last few minutes responding to someone who possesses such a complete VOID in their brain, in place of any cultural awareness.

f***ing DIRE.
I cannot take seriously somebody who doesn't feel that neither Rimbaud, Whitman nor Verlaine warrant a mention. Next time?

Here’s at least a link to a long discussion on this board to Morrissey’s alleged support for the Black Lives Matter cause. He spoke out against the killing of George Floyd.

Thread 'The Metro: Morrissey’s pro Black Lives Matter tweet dragged on social media (June 3, 2020)'
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/the-metro-morrissey’s-pro-black-lives-matter-tweet-dragged-on-social-media-june-3-2020.146566/

At a concert I attended back in 2014 in Antwerp (Belgium), he made a similar remark about police violence in the US causing the death of innocent black people, the name of the victim now escapes me.
Not to go too off topic here, but BLM was a scam that started with Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin. There were a lot of lies told the public in both cases and lot of information withheld in both cases, meant to inflame the public. They were both cases of self defense, people may not agree with our self defense laws here but that is another conversation. Black men were not being randomly murdered, the police were put on trial, the Justice Dept. investigated, but in a few small instances I think it was found that the police did act inappropriately and I agree that is a few too many. I don't know if people understand the violence problem we have with black people here, the FBI stats show some of it. I am leaving the George Floyd case out of this because they were saying at first it was a drug overdose and it's just too controversial to discuss here.

I love 99% of Morrissey's work, and despite his flaws I greatly value him as a person. His animal rights efforts alone raise him nearly to the level of sainthood. That said I want him to shut up and retire with dignity and grace before he completely destroys his already tattered reputation.

I understand that many people here love and worship him, but uncritical love is more likely to hurt him rather than help him at this point. You are not just his fans, you are his enablers. We've seen fans destroy their idols before. Not all his critics are out to get him. Protect the legacy!

I cannot take seriously somebody who doesn't feel that neither Rimbaud, Whitman nor Verlaine warrant a mention. Next time?

I wasn’t specifically discussing any poets, and I didn’t list any poets :crazy:

Try to find a brain please, before hitting the keys on your keyboard and just hoping for the best

Mozzer has Sinead's back through-and-through.

Someday sooner than later, Vini Reilly will shuffle off this mortal coil. I suspect many people will praise him in a somewhat similar vein as Sinead -- not as many as Sinead, but a decent who's-who will lament his passing. And when that day comes, will a certain Irish Mancunian whom we know and love ask the public where were they when Duritti Column needed them?

I don't agree. There is a lot of positivity on Moz Solo, some balanced but well-meaning criticism, and some vicious vitriol. You are also forgetting the efforts people go to on this site: posting setlist as it happens, posting concert photos, providing links to informative stories about Moz, etc. All of which is nothing compared to the work that moderators such as FWD have invested in Moz Solo every day for years. This is a community and within any community you will have a mix of personalities and opinions. A lot of the fans on this site support Morrissey by buying the albums (often on multiple formats), concert tickets, merch, etc. That is not the behaviour of haters.
Yes, there is a lot of positivity and this site is invaluable when it comes to info about Morrissey. But the amount of outright hate directed at him is bizarre. Especially, for some reason, this thread has attracted a lot of that. Some of the comments are so full of vitriol, calling Moz some kind of monster for making this post... it's beyond reason really.
You have to wonder what's going on with those people constantly coming here and deciding to spend their time that way.

Black Lives Mansions as my friend calls them.
How did they help anybody anyway? They have some pretty funny Marxist ideas too… obviously if you agree with them on everything that’s 100% okay, but circling back to my point if you don’t agree with
them on everything you should be able to defend someone who does.
They sure helped themselves!

Back
Top Bottom