Is It Really So Strange...that these lyrics could be Moz at his most gay?

Thanks Worm, for taking the time to compile those quotes.

It's pleasing to me to know that being a fan of Morrissey is in some way a reciprocal relationship. To know that he thinks about us thinking about him and the meanings of his lyrics makes me feel a little giddy. I could almost stick flowers down my levis and dance around in an ambiguous way. Seriously, this matters to me.

It's also nice to know that many people here have strong feelings about his lyrics, even if they are hearing something I am not. I have heard some interpretations that I felt were just obviously wrong.

My great uncle was a strange man. He always lived alone until the end of his life. He was usually a great person to be around, funny and eccentric. But because he spent so much time alone with his records and his phonographs, listening to the radio and watching/reading the news, but rarely discussing it with anyone, he became very set in his ways. He could be a little bit childish if you happened to see some issue differently than he did.

Because my 'formative years' as a Smiths fan were spent in isolation, I feel I am like my uncle in some ways. The meaning of any given Morrissey lyric, to me, has always been obvious, and hearing someone come up with another interpretation, I'm tempted to respond as my uncle might, by shouting "You stupid fool!" But this is a good thing. While I resist the idea of Morrissey as being purposely vague or ambiguous and open to interpretation, I guess I have to begrudgingly accept that others feel as passionately about his songs as I do, though they see them differently.

It's probably why one of my favorite songs is Speedway, which I've always thought was about the subject of his public image.

all of the rumours leaving me grounded
I never said, I never said that they were completely unfounded
and all those lies, written lies, twisted lies
well they weren't lies, they weren't lies, they weren't lies

All in all, this has turned into a very good discussion. I'm not sure that was the original intention but what do I know?
nothing

I like this post. I don't think Moz minds us discussing his lyrics. I think he doesn't want us going, "Oooh, I heard he snogged this chick/guy who used to be my cousin's hamster's veterinarian's next door neighbor!"

Dave, your great uncle sounds like Moz, too! And an uncle in our family... which makes me sad that these guys have never found just the right one to share their passions with. But then again, why must everyone be paired off? What's wrong with being alone?

Not in the same way at all. I mean, nobody thinks it's strange for a man to love a woman or for a woman to love a man...

...unless of course the person of the opposite sex - the beloved - believes that he or she is unloveable and won't open up to the idea that somebody might just actually care.

this blows the entire theory to bits...
and I relate (as do so many many others who are "straight" or whatever...) to all of these so called gay anthems.

Drop it already folks. :mad:

Oh no, don't say that, they'll jump on your ass for sure. :rolleyes:

obviously. they're the same people who'd kidnapp morrissey and make him endure a back-alley rectal exam....just 'cause they're entitled to know, you know? it's a free country and such...

obviously. they're the same people who'd kidnapp morrissey and make him endure a back-alley rectal exam....just 'cause they're entitled to know, you know? it's a free country and such...

No, he'd be protected under HIPAA in that case. I mean, it could be done, but if you told anyone who'd been kidnapped or what procedure had been done, you'd face tough federal sanctions. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

No one is talking about him, we're talking about what he's saying to us... big difference.

While I resist the idea of Morrissey as being purposely vague or ambiguous and open to interpretation, I guess I have to begrudgingly accept that others feel as passionately about his songs as I do, though they see them differently.

Don't you see that's part of the beauty of deliberate ambiguity and vagueness? It allows each of us to interpret the song to fit our situations, our feelings, our lives, to make them "ours" in a million different ways. If the song were about loving a person of a specific gender, with a specific look, in a specific city and being rebuffed in a specific way, very few of us would relate to the song in the same way or feel so much like Morrissey understands us, except under circumstances of extreme coincidence. It would also leave us with less to think about and wonder about, and would make the songs less interesting. I know, for example, that Jerry Garcia used to revise Robert Hunter's lyrics at times to make endings unclear or to otherwise obfuscate things just to make the song subject to wonder and interpretation.

What's wrong with being alone?
Nothing, and I hope your Uncle and Dave's were happy that way. My Aunt was, I'm pretty sure.

No, only yours, we're singling you out, remember?

No one is talking about him, we're talking about what he's saying to us... big difference.

Good point.

Is there really any need to be that way?

No, it's strictly voluntary on my part.

I don't want any bad feelings, though. I really didn't intend to (and don't think I really did) attack you, and I was surprised to see the venom of your response, here and in the "thinking" thread.

If you want to discuss further, feel free to pm me.

No, it's strictly voluntary on my part.

I don't want any bad feelings, though. I really didn't intend to (and don't think I really did) attack you, and I was surprised to see the venom of your response, here and in the "thinking" thread.

If you want to discuss further, feel free to pm me.

The thing I posted in the "thinking" thread was not directed towards you; I have had problems with other posters besides you. You kind of were just icing on the cake. I am sorry that you thought that I think you are a c***. I do not.

My rant was not directed towards you individually, it was directed towards everyone who was acting snooty towards me because I happened to not agree with them.

All in all I do not feel animosity towards you and I am sorry if I made you feel otherwise. I am willing to admit when I am wrong.

I am sorry that you thought that I think you are a c***. I do not.

Well, that's good, thanks. The timing made me think it was about me. But then again, I think most things are about me. Aren't they?

My rant was not directed towards you individually, it was directed towards everyone who was acting snooty towards me because I happened to not agree with them.

My objection was not about anyone disagreeing with anyone, it was about objecting to the very discussion. That objection, actually, could make for an interesting discussion (in another thread) about what is a proper line of inquiry and what isn't.

I will admit that I rolled my eyes when I saw the title of this thread, but then after X number of responses I became curious, took a look, and found the discussion pretty interesting. It's made me think a lot, which is a good thing.

All in all I do not feel animosity towards you and I am sorry if I made you feel otherwise. I am willing to admit when I am wrong.

That puts you in about the top 1% of the population. No apology needed, but thanks, and I'm glad.

Group hugs make me think of that show "Intervention". :o

Let's all hold hands and sing....

Someone’s laughing, Lord, kumbaya
O Lord, kumbaya

Is there really any need to be that way?
Sorry but I can't ignore the irony here.

Don't you see that's part of the beauty of deliberate ambiguity and vagueness?
No. Sorry to edit your response but I did read and consider it. I think that other person we've been discussing a lot made his lyrics purposely vague too, but I'll confine that to the other thread.

I have studied the idea of whether the intention of the artist needs to be clear in order for the art to be successful. I decided it didn't because art is personal and seperate from the demands of an audience. However there is a difference between the artist developing his own language because the art demands it and a person deliberately blurring the message so that everyone can get their own thing out of it.

I've thought about this quite a lot. I can sort of see it with The Grateful Dead because it fits the nature of one of their core messages that we are all different but all part of something bigger. I just tossed that out there but I'm familiar with their music and saw them several times and I think it's not too far off. Believe it if you need it...

On the other hand, you've probably heard that famous interview with John Lennon where he seems to be bent on exposing Bob Dylan as some sort of fraud. Whatever the personal reasons, and John Lennon was a hugely ego-driven person, he really developed a distaste for Dylan and called his music meaningless and his lyrics "gobbledegook". If you throw a bunch of images out there and have a flair for language you can sound like there is more meaning than there is.

Another example is David Lynch. When I saw Mullholland Drive I wondered if he was just putting a lot of strong images out there in something that resembled an enigmatic story, and challenging people to put their own spin on it. That's valid, in a sense, but it's a whole different and lesser thing than having a specific idea what you are talking about but respecting the audience enough to let them interpret without spoonfeeding them.

So, I did say I accept it if people have their own ideas. But that's a whole differnt thing than celebrating ambiguity for it's own sake. And like I said, ambiguity might be part of The Grateful Dead's toolkit, because of the nature of the role they play (played) to their following.

It is okay for people to see different things. But it's not okay to purposely remain vague in order to serve an audience unless that is what the art demands. Otherwise it's not art.

I think I have avoided discussing Morrissey's personal life pretty well and kept it on the lyrics so I'm not going to start discussing his motives now. I'm just saying that if people see different things and it affects them different ways, that's fine for them, but I'm not going to celebrate ambiguity for the sake of an audience.

That's a lovely sentiment. I have read your blog and consider you to be quite interesting and intelligent but it's not on display in that comment. No offense intended.

Finally, for hopefully the last time, there are hundreds of other threads to post on. There have been some really stupid pointless threads here, and this one has merit. Exactly what Alcoholic afternoons said, this looked liked another stupid troll thread,, but I finally checked it out and it's a pretty good thread with people sharing ideas. If it's not to your liking leave it alone. Keeping subthreads going about how you don't like the topic is selfish and childish.

Finally, for hopefully the last time, there are hundreds of other threads to post on. There have been some really stupid pointless threads here, and this one has merit. Exactly what Alcoholic afternoons said, this looked liked another stupid troll thread,, but I finally checked it out and it's a pretty good thread with people sharing ideas. If it's not to your liking leave it alone. Keeping subthreads going about how you don't like the topic is selfish and childish.

In your opinion, good sir.

there is an invisible "in my opinion" in every sentence I write here. I'm about the last one to say I own some claim on the truth.

Back
Top Bottom