Morrissey’s vocal melodies

It really is! One of his most cohesive.

And one of his best album covers too, in my opinion. Everything really comes together perfectly on Refusal.

A lot of people don't seem to like I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris, but I think it's fine. As a single it's not outstanding, but it nests nicely on the album, a pop confection that tempers the more chug-rock material, just as the velvety You Were Good In Your Time is well-placed after Birthday and before the two raucous closers.

Last edited:
And one of his best album covers too, in my opinion. Everything really comes together perfectly on Refusal.

A lot of people don't seem to like I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris, but I think it's fine. As a single it's not outstanding, but it nests nicely on the album, a pop confection that tempers the more chug-rock material, just as the velvety You Were Good In Your Time is well-placed after Birthday and before the two raucous closers.
yeah sam i dont mind paris,gets a bit of hate but its a decent catchy song.

Last edited:
yeah sam i dont mind paris,gets a bit of hate but its a decent catchy song.
I love Paris. It was played on national radio 8/3, followed by, In the Future When All's Well :rock:

Christian Dior is perfectly formed, like a mini-play, both ballad and biographical sketches capturing the attention every time. Not unlike Istanbul.

Thanks for this thread :flowers:

Last edited:
Christian Dior is perfectly formed, like a mini-play, both ballad and biographical sketches capturing the attention every time.

Christian Dior’s gotta be in my top 5 Morrissey songs. An elegant waltz with intrigue, drama, sadness, self-loathing. To this day I think Christian Dior and Sweetie Pie should’ve been on Ringleader

I love Paris.

Christian Dior is perfectly formed, like a mini-play, both ballad and biographical sketches capturing the attention every time. Not unlike Istanbul.

Thanks for this thread :flowers:
yip christian is very good,this was a very good period for M.

Christian Dior’s gotta be in my top 5 Morrissey songs. An elegant waltz with intrigue, drama, sadness, self-loathing. To this day I think Christian Dior and Sweetie Pie should’ve been on Ringleader

It’s in my top 5 as well. A crime it was never done live.

What I find intriguing is how Morrissey decides to sing certain songs. From taking the lines he's written on the page, to melding them with the music, it's quite fascinating; the way the notes are stretched high and low, and the words elongated in certain places etc. He finds a way to synthesise the lyrical and musical components which usually results in perfection.

Then when you hear the song, it all sounds wonderful, and like it just couldn't be any other way.

Does anyone have any insight into this process?

I was listening to 'hold on to your friends' this morning as an example, and thinking about whether he had adjusted the music to suit how he wanted to sing it, or whether he had adjusted the singing to suit a particularly good sound that the band had produced.

Last edited:
Maudlin Street. 💔 I can hear the pain in his voice the whole song, that just hits me so hard. That first "smack" sound as the track starts feels like a literal smack on my sternum which rattles into my heart. This song makes me cry 80% of the time. No other song does that to me. (Well, except for H. Hawkline's song "Denver"... but I digress.)

"Your gran died... and your mother died on Maudlin Street.. in pain and ashamed... with never time to say special things!" 💔

He sounds lovely in this song. It's sad and yet I could fall asleep to it.

Maudlin Street. 💔 I can hear the pain in his voice the whole song, that just hits me so hard. That first "smack" sound as the track starts feels like a literal smack on my sternum which rattles into my heart. This song makes me cry 80% of the time. No other song does that to me. (Well, except for H. Hawkline's song "Denver"... but I digress.)

"Your gran died... and your mother died on Maudlin Street.. in pain and ashamed... with never time to say special things!" 💔

He sounds lovely in this song. It's sad and yet I could fall asleep to it.

Only 80% of the time?

Yes, sometimes I'm in a happy headspace when I listen to it and it doesn't fully grasp me and pull me into sadness.

I was just being Morrissey flippant ;)

I can just imagine him saying in his wonderful voice:

'Ohhh, only 80% of the time? I cry every time I hear it'

'A happy headspace, what is that?'

Last edited:
Yes, sometimes I'm in a happy headspace when I listen to it and it doesn't fully grasp me and pull me into sadness.
If you haven’t already, you should seek out the original, unedited version. Far superior to the one that’s on Spotify.

If you haven’t already, you should seek out the original, unedited version. Far superior to the one that’s on Spotify.
“Whenever you are, I hope you’re singing now…”
Moz has always made questionable choices while reissuing his albums. Including YA tracks on the reissues of Southpaw Grammar and Bona Drag, editing songs, shortening them, changing track lists.

An original Viva Hate LP is one of my most coveted

That "What have I done?!" phrasing in 'Istanbul' - a magnificent moment.

His soulful vocal exertions on the 'Rank' live version of 'I Know It's Over' knock Mick Hucknell out the park. Not literally, sadly.

That brooding, sombre baritone on 'Suffer Little Children'.

And, by contrast, the vocal dynamics of 'Bigmouth Strikes Again', a measure of just how far and fast he had developed as a singer in the space of about 4 years.

Just to name a few.

I have the *remastered* Viva Hate vinyl... It sounds great on there. Is it different on the original version?
It is shorter. He edited it for the reissue. Here’s the original version:

And here’s ’The Ordinary Boys’, a fantastic song that was omitted from said reissue:

“Whenever you are, I hope you’re singing now…”
Moz has always made questionable choices while reissuing his albums. Including YA tracks on the reissues of Southpaw Grammar and Bona Drag, editing songs, shortening them, changing track lists.

An original Viva Hate LP is one of my most coveted
Yes, some of these choices are quite bizarre. So unnecessary.

But YA tracks on the reissued BD?

Back
Top Bottom